News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 USB storage & file system?

Started by Ostracus, April 18, 2012, 09:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ostracus

My USB stick isn't showing up. Is there a particular file system one needs and/or brand of stick (mine's Kingston)?

QBZappy

The answer to that will give a clue if Linux is installed on the router.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

HT_in_Forum

Dear Ostracus,

Would you mind to disclose more information about your kingston USB drive? Such as how many partitions on it? What file format on each partition? The model number? Can you see it on Window?
It will be easier to fix the problem if you can provide more information. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Help Technician in Forum

QBZappy

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Ostracus

Quote from: HT_in_Forum on April 18, 2012, 10:42:07 AM
Dear Ostracus,

Would you mind to disclose more information about your kingston USB drive? Such as how many partitions on it? What file format on each partition? The model number? Can you see it on Window?
It will be easier to fix the problem if you can provide more information. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Help Technician in Forum

One partition originally formatted VFAT, and now EXT3 on a Kingston Data Traveler 2.0, and yes I could see it in Windows. And no so far the Obi202 doesn't pick it up.

Stewart

Quote from: Ostracus on April 18, 2012, 10:59:18 AMOne partition originally formatted VFAT, and now EXT3 on a Kingston Data Traveler 2.0, and yes I could see it in Windows. And no so far the Obi202 doesn't pick it up.
I don't have an OBi202, but I once had that Kingston USB key and ended up returning it to the vendor.  It worked fine in FAT32, but that didn't allow for the >5 GB files that I needed to store.  Attempting to format it as NTFS resulted in errors (under both Windows and Linux), which I didn't investigate further, because I found several credible posts from smart people who had given up.  It worked fine in VFAT, but that was not supported by the Samsung TV that was to play the content (and I suspect by OBi202).  So, back it went.

HT_in_Forum

OBi202 does not support EXT3 now. OBi202 supports NTFS/FAT/FAT32/HFS+.

Ostracus

Well it would be nice if that bit of information was in the guide. Anyway, reformatted NTFS and of course it didn't show up. Ordered a different brand, to give that a try.

Felix

Quote from: HT_in_Forum on April 18, 2012, 07:12:30 PM
OBi202 does not support EXT3 now. OBi202 supports NTFS/FAT/FAT32/HFS+.

Can somebody from OBi confirm whether this person speaks for the company or not. I wouldn't want the self-selected nick ("Help Technician in Forum") to fool me into making such assumption. Also, I wouldn't want to hold two arrogant and condescending posts against the company itself - but if none of the admins speak up, it is only natural to assume so!

OBiSupport

Ostracus,

Please clarify with what you meant by
"Kingston Data Traveler 2.0", is that as you see it in
your Windows, after it is mounted
or do you mean this is "G2" (generation 2)

For these, the product name is usually DT...G2
what is your Kingston's model number ?

G2 version, for example:
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Hi-speed-Datatraveler-DT101G2-8GBZET/dp/B004TS1J18/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334873457&sr=1-4

-Obi Support

Ostracus

OBiSupport

Ostracus,

Thanks for telling us the exact model of your "Kingston I", which you are having problem with.
Do you have another USB stick that you can try ?
We want to know whether the problem is specific to this USB stick model.

thx
-Obi Support

Ostracus

My Adata 8Gb came in preformatted as Fat32 and unfortunately it's not recognized either. Is there something I have to turn on first?

obi-support2

Hi Ostracus,

Are there any files stored in your USB drive?
If the drive is empty, can you add some files to it first and try again.
Login to the device web page as admin to make sure you can see everything.

We are still checking on this problem.
We have not been able to reproduce the problem yet.
However, if the USB drive is empty, the OBi will report "USB Device Not Found".
We consider this a bug and will be fixed.

Thank you.
OBIHAI Support Staff

Ostracus

I put some files on the stick and now the Obi202 found the stick. I'll try the same thing later on the Kingston.