News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Way to conceal a call forwarding info from a caller

Started by R7tt, April 20, 2012, 08:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R7tt

Hello.

I've set up my OBi100 in a way that all calls to my SIP (sp2 in my case) to be forwarded to my cellphone. It works well but the only problem is this:

Callers can find out that they are being forwarded to my cellphone by looking at the caller ID.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

TIA.

QBZappy

R7tt,

How do the callers (making the call) see the caller id?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Stewart

I'm very surprised that this is happening.  This typically occurs when the caller is using an IP or ISDN phone, and forwarding occurs at the provider level, or the call is transferred with a REFER request.  It would be possible from a cell phone, but I'm not aware of any wireless carrier that propagates redirect info.  From a landline, it's impossible, even in theory.  So, I'm very curious about the specifics:  What kind of phone is caller using?  Who is his carrier?  Your SIP DID provider?  Provider used for the forwarding?

In any case, confirm that you are not doing forwarding or "follow me" at the DID provider.  Also, confirm that X_UseRefer is off in the OBi, which is the default.  If the caller is still seeing the redirect, there is IMO a bug in the OBi firmware.  Use SIP Debug to see how your number is being leaked. 

R7tt

Quote from: QBZappy on April 20, 2012, 08:58:14 AM
R7tt,

How do the callers (making the call) see the caller id?

When I said the caller ID, I meant the number appearing on the outbound call list.

R7tt

Quote from: Stewart on April 20, 2012, 09:08:36 AM
I'm very surprised that this is happening.  This typically occurs when the caller is using an IP or ISDN phone, and forwarding occurs at the provider level, or the call is transferred with a REFER request.  It would be possible from a cell phone, but I'm not aware of any wireless carrier that propagates redirect info.  From a landline, it's impossible, even in theory.  So, I'm very curious about the specifics:  What kind of phone is caller using?  Who is his carrier?  Your SIP DID provider?  Provider used for the forwarding?

In any case, confirm that you are not doing forwarding or "follow me" at the DID provider.  Also, confirm that X_UseRefer is off in the OBi, which is the default.  If the caller is still seeing the redirect, there is IMO a bug in the OBi firmware.  Use SIP Debug to see how your number is being leaked. 

Stewart:

Thanks for your reply.

Wow, you are right.  I looked into and found out that the problem is only evident when someone makes a call using SIP phone not using landline or cellphone.   

One quick question: where can I find X_UseRefer?

Thanks again.

RonR

Quote from: R7tt on April 20, 2012, 06:48:48 PM

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile x -> SIP -> X_UseRefer

where x is A or B.

R7tt

Quote from: RonR on April 20, 2012, 06:53:33 PM
Quote from: R7tt on April 20, 2012, 06:48:48 PM

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile x -> SIP -> X_UseRefer

where x is A or B.

Got it. Thanks, RonR for the prompt reply. One more quick question: Isn't ITSP setting only relevant when I use GV not SIP? As I stated earlier, all calls to my SIP (sp2 in my case) to be forwarded to my cellphone.

RonR

Quote from: R7tt on April 20, 2012, 07:01:39 PM
One more quick question: Isn't ITSP setting only relevant when I use GV not SIP?

ITSP settings are required with every provider.  In your case:

SP1 (Google Voice) is using ITSP Profile A

SP2 (SIP provider) is using ITSP Profile B

R7tt

Quote from: RonR on April 20, 2012, 07:04:59 PM
Quote from: R7tt on April 20, 2012, 07:01:39 PM
One more quick question: Isn't ITSP setting only relevant when I use GV not SIP?

ITSP settings are required with every provider.  In your case:

SP1 (Google Voice) is using ITSP Profile A

SP2 (SIP provider) is using ITSP Profile B

Thanks for the clarification. Your knowlege is much appreciated.