News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Registered but cannot make any calls

Started by New2Obi, April 20, 2012, 06:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New2Obi

My OBI110 works fine at one location but when I connect it at a different location, I cannot even make a test call. Everything else works fine on my router. What do I need to look for and change?

Thank you.

RonR

The OBi Ethernet port runs at 10 mb/s by default, which some routers don't like, but can be switched to 100 mb/s using the following procedure:

1. Dial *** 0

2. Enter option 27 and press #

3. Press 1 to set a new value

4. Enter a value of 1 and press #

5. Press 1 to confirm/save

6. Hang up

7. Wait for the OBi to reboot

If that doesn't correct the problem, check to see if the OBi is getting an IP address by dialing ***1.  If it is, please report whether you can log into the OBi directly (username/password = admin/admin) using that IP address.

New2Obi

Thank you for the info. Where can I find documentation for the codes you have provided me?

Now I am at least able to get my IP address and have logged into that address. I still cannot make a test call since it gives me fast busy tones.
My hardware version is 3.4 and software version is 1.3.0 (Build: 2690). Both SP1 and SP2 are 'Service not configured'. Do I need to configure any service providers to even make an OBI110 to Obi110 call? If so, how do I do that?

RonR

The procedure I suggested is undocumented.  There's nothing risky about performing it.  It can be reversed by using a value of 0 in step 4 or resetting the unit back to factory defaults.

If the OBi is getting an IP address and is accessible on your LAN but you still cannot reach the echo test by dialing **9 222 222 222, the OBi is probably not making it through your router to the Internet.  You can possibly confirm this by temporarily connecting the OBi directly to your modem, bypassing your router.  Power-cycle both the modem and the OBi after making the direct connection.  If you can reach the echo test by dialing **9 222 222 222 at that point, the problem is likely with your router.

New2Obi

Alas, no luck. Tried direct connection to the broadband modem after power cycling both, Still cannot make the call. A Vonage TA connected through the same modem/router setup has no problem working.
It has to be some configuration incompatibility between the OBI110 and the modem/router internet service. Earlier after following your first set of directions, I was able to make one call to the echo test line but then it stopped. This OBI10 works fine at my work LAN.

Other ideas?

RonR

Quote from: New2Obi on April 21, 2012, 12:40:35 AM
It has to be some configuration incompatibility between the OBI110 and the modem/router internet service.

A totally unconfigured OBi at factory defaults should be able to make a call to the echo test at **9 222 222 222.

New2Obi

Having taken the router out of the picture by directly connecting the factory default OBI110 to the Motorola SB6120 cable modem, I still cannot successfully perform the echo test. So the problem is either in the modem configuration or how the service is provisioned by Comcast.
Where do I go next for ideas?

RonR

Does the OBi report (***1) a Comcast public IP address when connected directly to the SB6120?

If so, what happens when you dial **9222222222?

When you reconnect the OBi through your router and log into it, what is shown in the Call History for the failed call?

Lavarock7

If you just swap data wires when moving equipment to the modem and/or router, make sure that you powercycle associated units. If your router supplies an IP address to an OBI and then you (without powercycline the Obi) connect it to the modem, you will have problems.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

New2Obi

Yes, it does report a Comcast public IP address when I connect it directly to the Motorola modem. I see number of calls in call history as zero when (connected to through the router) I access it through the web. Of course, I power cycle all devices when I change connections to ensure new allocation of IP addresses by the built-in DHCP servers.

When I attempt to dial **9 222........., it starts giving me fast busy tones as soon as the first 2 is pressed.

I am suspecting there is either a configuration issue in the Motorola SB6120 Cable modem or the service provisioning by Comcast. But if that was the case then the Vonage VoiP should not work (which it does without a problem) through the same modem.

RonR

Quote from: New2Obi on April 22, 2012, 11:03:57 AM
When I attempt to dial **9 222........., it starts giving me fast busy tones as soon as the first 2 is pressed.

This problem is not network related.  If the problem were network related, the OBi would accept the entire dialing (**9222222222) and then report "There is no service availabe to complete your call."  Geting a fast busy is likely a dialing issue with the OBi and not related to the Ethernet side of things.  You should be able to dial the full number (**9222222222) without even having an Ethernet cable attached.

Are you sure you could reach the echo test at first location where the OBi appeared to work fine?

Are you using the same telephone set connected to the OBi's PHONE Port when you move the OBi from one location to another?

Please log into the OBi directly using the IP address returned by dialing ***1 and post the contents of:

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> DigitMap

Also verify that the following have their Default box checked:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> DigitMap
Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute

New2Obi

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. My bad. The problem was with my phone. It was set to pulse dial. Changing it to tone dial fixed the problem.

May I suggest you write a book "OBITalk for Dummies". People like me will benefit.

Thank you for your contributions to this forum.