News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Not sure what model to get....

Started by ED209, April 22, 2012, 09:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ED209

the 100 110 or the 202...

Hello all,..
I need an obi unit, that i can hook three wired ( meaning land line type) phones to it with a three way splitter, and it can permit faxes as well...im currently using magicjack plus...and faxes will not go through, and now they're blocking short and long conference type calls.. so i have to route those calls through GV needing to turn on my pc just for those calls which is very annoying...i was hoping obi was a solution to all this and which model would be best for this that im trying to do with my set up.... if so i'll be ready to dump MJ for OBI....any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated...

Ostracus

Well the Obi202 is suppose to have fax support, but I haven't has a chance to try it out yet.

RFord

It appears that you have no need to connect a PSTN Line or another VOIP device directly to the OBi and as such, I would go with the OBi202.  Has T.38 capabilities, two phone ports for two separate and distinct lines and a USB Port.  It has four SIP lines, while the OBi100/110 only has two.  So you can have up to four GV accounts per OBi202 or 4 registered SIP Accounts or a combination of the two.

ED209

thanks for your responses...i think im leaning towards the 202 model...but i like the pricing of the previous models currently....Im a little puzzled in faxing between the all three models...since the 202 is advertised that it supports fax....are the other models able to support it as well? because in the FAQ says OBI supports faxes...does this mean all models do...or is it that the 202 is a bit more advanced in handling the faxes better with less problems than the previous models?

pedro

I have two OBi110 units both connected via GoogleVoice and have zero problems sending or receiving faxes via a traditional fax machine connected to either OBi110 device.  I hope this helps you.

RFord

I also have the OBi110 and I can successfully send faxes using GV.  However, I can't get my HP Fax Machine to successfully accept faxes automatically.  The only way I can receive fax is to know ahead of time that the incoming call is a fax or answer the call and hear the fax tones and manually press the start button. 

Could you tell me what fax machine (Name/Model Number) you are using and are you using ANY specific settings (reduce Baud Rate, ECM enable/disable, etc.) to get it to receive faxes automatically?

Quote from: pedro on April 23, 2012, 07:13:21 AM
I have two OBi110 units both connected via GoogleVoice and have zero problems sending or receiving faxes via a traditional fax machine connected to either OBi110 device.  I hope this helps you.

RFord

I cannot tell you want to do, but IMHO, for the feature set that you are getting with the OBi202 you are getting more bang for your buck with the OBi202.  If I was in your position, I would definitely go for the OBi202.  I have the OBi110, and I wish I had one or more additional SIP lines so that I can setup one or more additional GV lines so that I can use that with my OBiON App for my Mobile Device for outgoing calls, totally different than my home number setup on SP1.  I have SP2 setup for SIP (for e911).  The choice is yours, but I would think long term if I were in your position.

Quote from: ED209 on April 23, 2012, 06:28:24 AM
thanks for your responses...i think im leaning towards the 202 model...but i like the pricing of the previous models currently....Im a little puzzled in faxing between the all three models...since the 202 is advertised that it supports fax....are the other models able to support it as well? because in the FAQ says OBI supports faxes...does this mean all models do...or is it that the 202 is a bit more advanced in handling the faxes better with less problems than the previous models?

pedro

I have an old (maybe 10-12 years old) Panasonic plain paper fax model # KX-FHD331, nothing special as far as the setup/options go.  It worked when I had POTS service, I ditched my POTS in favor of Google Voice and changed nothing.  It just works.  BTW, it's 9600 baud by default.  Hope this helps.

Quote from: RFord on April 23, 2012, 08:38:27 AM
I also have the OBi110 and I can successfully send faxes using GV.  However, I can't get my HP Fax Machine to successfully accept faxes automatically.  The only way I can receive fax is to know ahead of time that the incoming call is a fax or answer the call and hear the fax tones and manually press the start button. 

Could you tell me what fax machine (Name/Model Number) you are using and are you using ANY specific settings (reduce Baud Rate, ECM enable/disable, etc.) to get it to receive faxes automatically?

jimates

To send from a conventional fax machine you need the Obi110. The Obi100 and the Obi202 do not have line inputs to plug the fax machine into. What was I thinking, guess I wasn't, that was the problem.

Everton

What?  I think you need to rethink what you just posted!

Quote from: jimates on April 23, 2012, 04:18:19 PM
To send from a conventional fax machine you need the Obi110. The Obi100 and the Obi202 do not have line inputs to plug the fax machine into.

jimates

Quote from: Everton on April 23, 2012, 05:06:52 PM
What?  I think you need to rethink what you just posted!

Quote from: jimates on April 23, 2012, 04:18:19 PM
To send from a conventional fax machine you need the Obi110. The Obi100 and the Obi202 do not have line inputs to plug the fax machine into.
Oh yea, corrected.

Rick

Quote from: RFord on April 23, 2012, 08:38:27 AM

I have an HP3330.  Reduced baud rate and disabled error correction.  Sends and receives fine.

jimates

I don't think there is a problem with faxing through an Obi, but faxing through google voice is strictly YMMV. For every person reporting success, hundreds have failure.

ED209

Hi, well i went ahead and ordered the 202 earlier cause i needed this device badly and soon for number a reasons...but i hope it does what i want it to for the money i paid for...cause lately MJ is upsetting me primarily with this blocking of certain numbers...smh...but thanks for everyones opinions and help...appreciated greatly