News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone connected to Obi not ringing

Started by Stadia, April 23, 2012, 11:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stadia

I have my Obi and Google Voice configured and working.  I'm able to call the phone number and it forwards to my cell just fine.  I'm able to call from the phone connected to the Obi and talk to people but my phone that is connected to the Obi will not ring. 

I turned off the cell phone forwarding but it still doesn't ring on the phone connected to my Obi.

RonR

Do you have the Google Chat forwarding phone enabled in your Google Voice account?  It must be enabled in order for incoming Google Voice calls to be forwarded to your OBi.

Stadia

Yes, I have forwarding enabled on Google chat but it still doesn't ring the phone connected to the Obi

RonR

Verify that the OBi is capable of ringing your telephone:

1. Dial **0

2. Press 3

3. Dial 0#

4. Hang up

The Auto Attendant should ring the telephone.

Stadia

Followed your instructions and it did ring the phone.

RonR

If you log into the OBi at the IP address returned by dialing ***1, does the OBi show SP1 Service Status as Connected?

If you look at the Call History in the OBi, do your outgoing calls show as having gone out GoogleVoice1?

If you turn off the OBi and log into your Gmail account, is an incoming Google Voice call received there?

Stadia

SP1 Service Status says connected while logged in locally.

Outgoing calls are going out GoogleVoice1

I called the Google Voice number while the OBi was off but all I received was a missed call on the Google Voice website.  I've never used Google Voice to actually answer a call before so I don't know if there's supposed to be popup or something.

Felix

You say "phone that is connected to the Obi will not ring"; but it is not clear whether the call actually comes to OBi adapter or not. Do you see the call in OBi call history?

Stadia

Yes they were in the history.  I figured it out! 

I had created my Google Voice account with my own email address originally.  I created a gmail address afterwards but the only Google Chat account that was available to forward to was the one associated with my original email address (not my gmail address). 

I downloaded the Google Chat plugin and configured it.  Once it was configured another Google Chat account appeared as an option to forward to (this account was associated with my gmail address).   I selected that account and it started working (after about 4 minutes or so). 

Thanks for your help, I wouldn't have found it without trying your last steps.   ;D

Sleuth

Just wanted to say that this is exactly what happened to me, and the fix is now a bit different.

I had registered originally with a separate email address, but then got a gmail.com address tied to my Google Voice account. Forwarding to Google Chat was still showing my original email address rather than the new gmail.com address. I had to delete that completely in Google Voice settings. Then, I had to go to Google Chat and place a phone call. Once I did that, the new Google Chat forwarding with the correct email appeared and my phone started ringing again. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

duile

Quote from: RonR on April 23, 2012, 01:26:45 PM
If you log into the OBi at the IP address returned by dialing ***1, does the OBi show SP1 Service Status as Connected? YES

If you look at the Call History in the OBi, do your outgoing calls show as having gone out GoogleVoice1? YES

If you turn off the OBi and log into your Gmail account, is an incoming Google Voice call received there? NO (the call goes straight to google voice's voicemail again, and shows up in my google voice inbox as a received call, but my home land line phone never rang)

I am having the same problems with not getting incoming calls to ring on the land line phones, that are connected to the Obi100. I have tried your steps here, but still don't know what's wrong. If anyone knows, please help.

EDIT: Update as of this morning (07-11-2013) - FIXED! - Apparently, Google had outages for several accounts affecting several states. I saw the news story on cnn.com, but I live in a state not listed in the news story. Still, as of this morning, a test call to the landline-ported-GoogleVoiceaccount-with-Obi worked! Incoming calls seem to be coming straight through to the phone, without going straight to voicemail any longer. So, if anyone else has problems like mine, it may be just your Google account having a temporary problem. Phew!

FaithDugan

For anyone who also Googled this and none of the above works, ensure that your Google Voice number is still active, as they deactivate numbers that go unused. I was still able to make outbound calls with the number (from Obi, Google Chat, and Google.com/voice) but the caller ID on the other end showed a completely different number that said "the number you have dialed has been deactivated" when I called it back. Also, the Google Voice site shows the outbound calls so it LOOKS like it's working but if it's not showing the phone number on the left hand side, or the voicemails, then it's been deactivated. All this in spite of the fact that you can technically dial that GV number. Pretty sloppy and confusing deactivation, for sure. Just click the "Create new number" button on the left hand side, set the new GV number up, and Obi will be able to send and receive calls perfectly.

kodiyan

I did all 3 steps that shows in this forum thread. The call history is no more available in OBI Login. I went to expert and I can see call status active for all outgoing calls.

But for all incoming calls, Active call is 0. I dialed ***1 for ip address, I am getting the result. Call back **0-3-0# ringing back. I can make outbound calls. But incoming calls are not ringing.

I forwarded to another number with Google email (both same time) forward number working. I removed that forwarding, then none of them working when calling and calls are going to google voice message.

Please help.

Emagin

For those of you that tried everything and it still won't ring....

Make sure to check if your landline phone is connected to the correct SP port on the Obi.

I *stupidly* kept testing and testing everything but the physical cables.
My phone was wired to SP2 and my setup was for SP1 !!!
So it dialed out fine but never rang. DUH.
---
Obi-202

ccinaz

If you have an old GV number you are setting up and it doesn't ring on the OBi, look at GV in a browser.  If you have "Legacy Google Voice" in the ...More... selections on the left side, go to Legacy and make sure the "Forward Calls to Google Chat" box is checked under Phones in Settings.  Access Settings from the gear on the upper right of the page.

njakjasbnnkjasdbn

ccinaz - thanks for your tips. I followed the steps and my landline device connected to Obitalk now rings.

johnhancock1999

I tried every proposed solution from every forum I could find online.  It wasn't until I followed the steps mentioned by author "ccinaz" that the problem was solved.  It all had to do with logging into my Legacy Google Voice account and activating the call forwarding to "Google Chat" as indicated below.  Thank you for the help!

Quote from: ccinaz on August 07, 2017, 10:25:10 PM
If you have an old GV number you are setting up and it doesn't ring on the OBi, look at GV in a browser.  If you have "Legacy Google Voice" in the ...More... selections on the left side, go to Legacy and make sure the "Forward Calls to Google Chat" box is checked under Phones in Settings.  Access Settings from the gear on the upper right of the page.

drgeoff

Quote from: johnhancock1999 on September 19, 2017, 02:35:45 AM
I tried every proposed solution from every forum I could find online.  It wasn't until I followed the steps mentioned by author "ccinaz" that the problem was solved.  It all had to do with logging into my Legacy Google Voice account and activating the call forwarding to "Google Chat" as indicated below.  Thank you for the help!

Quote from: ccinaz on August 07, 2017, 10:25:10 PM
If you have an old GV number you are setting up and it doesn't ring on the OBi, look at GV in a browser.  If you have "Legacy Google Voice" in the ...More... selections on the left side, go to Legacy and make sure the "Forward Calls to Google Chat" box is checked under Phones in Settings.  Access Settings from the gear on the upper right of the page.
You didn't follow the official tutorial or SteveInWA's instructions?

http://www.obihai.com/tutorial9

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460 (the 8th bullet point).

Checking that Chat is ticked is the first suggestion in many posts on these forums! Eg see the very first reply to the opening post of this thread.

Stansl

Old post but I thought I would add my fix since things have changed. I was having the same issue of not receiving calls on my OBI200 as of 4/2019, but I could in Google voice. I do not see Google chat anymore under Google voice and I did follow the steps above (thanks) of doing a test call also logging into my OBI200 which reveals everything is working fine.

After further reading I tried updating firmware which is explained here http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13113.msg84139#msg84139. Due to the new Google changes, they explain devices with older firmware will eventually fail and add that you should update your firmware, which you can do here, http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0.

This fixed my issue.

Stan

alexdelara

Hmm... updating the firmware didnt work; there is nothing available.
Going back to the subject then.....

I know the phone can ring because:
I can use my cellphone and dial my google number -> the landline DOES ring !
Other people dial in --> does not ring, goes to voicemail...
I dialed from my office number --> did not ring either...

There aint no more "Google chat" to check sooo... what's up ? (or down )?