News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using the same GV account on two OBi100

Started by R7tt, April 23, 2012, 08:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R7tt

Quick question:

I am thinking of buying one more Obi100 so that I keep one at work, the other at home.

I want to register the same GV and SIP account to both devices.

Is this setup possible? If so, how do I get the both devices ring when a call comes in through either SP1 or SP2? WITHOUT the AA being involved?

RonR

Configuring the same Google Voice account on two OBi's is a NoNo.  At best, only one of them will ring.

Some SIP providers support multiple registrations and others don't.  You would need to check with the SIP provider.

You can configure the service providers on one OBi and configure the other OBi to make and receive calls through the first.

R7tt

Quote from: RonR on April 23, 2012, 08:53:34 PM
Configuring the same Google Voice account on two OBi's is a NoNo.  At best, only one of them will ring.

Some SIP providers support multiple registrations and others don't.  You would need to check with the SIP provider.

You can configure the service providers on one OBi and configure the other OBi make and receive calls through the first.

Got it - one GV account per one OBi.  :)

So is there any other setup I can use to achieve what I want?

Rick

You can setup your OBi to forward to your work number during the day.

You can set GV to ring multiple phones such as your cell or work number and your home phones.  Easy to check and uncheck lines.

Don't use SIP, but assume you can forward it also.

Stewart

In another thread, you mentioned that you were using a SIP phone at home.  Usually, that would result in better quality and fewer issues with DTMF, echo, etc. than using an ATA.  It is probably possible to set up the office OBi to fork GV calls to your home IP phone, so you could answer from either, and to relay outbound calls so you could make GV calls from either.  You can probably do what you want for the SIP provider, too.  However, a lot depends on the details.

What is the make and model of your SIP phone?
Who is your SIP provider?  Do you have any DIDs with them?

If you do get a second OBi, it should be easy to set them up as master/slave, i.e. the master would register to GV and your SIP provider, forking incoming calls to its Phone port and the slave, and relaying outbound calls from the slave to the appropriate provider.

MurrayB

I have an Obi 110 in two locations. When the PSTN number on either one is called I wanted both Obi to ring.

I received info on this forum how to achieve this with the call being forked via the Obitalk network.

If you are attempting to achieve something similar by having have one GV number ring both locations the call could probably be forked the same way.

R7tt

Quote from: Stewart on April 24, 2012, 04:05:08 AM
In another thread, you mentioned that you were using a SIP phone at home.  Usually, that would result in better quality and fewer issues with DTMF, echo, etc. than using an ATA.  It is probably possible to set up the office OBi to fork GV calls to your home IP phone, so you could answer from either, and to relay outbound calls so you could make GV calls from either.  You can probably do what you want for the SIP provider, too.  However, a lot depends on the details.

What is the make and model of your SIP phone?
Who is your SIP provider?  Do you have any DIDs with them?

If you do get a second OBi, it should be easy to set them up as master/slave, i.e. the master would register to GV and your SIP provider, forking incoming calls to its Phone port and the slave, and relaying outbound calls from the slave to the appropriate provider.
Thanks for your reply. My SIP provider is located in Asia (Ayu co). The SIP phone is the proprietary phone also offered by the SIP. I have no idea what DID is.  :(

BTW, What exactly is "forking"? TIA.

Stewart

A DID (direct in dial) refers to a phone number reachable from the PSTN.  Does Ayu provide you with e.g. an 03 or an 050 number that can be called from Japan landlines or cell phones?

"Forking" refers to a device or service accepting an incoming call and sending it to more than one destination at the same time.  On the OBi, you can set the InboundCallRoute for SP1 so that incoming calls to your GV number will ring both the Phone port and (via OBiTalk or a SIP service) a phone at another location.  GV itself can fork calls, e.g. sending an incoming call via Google Chat to the OBi, and also ringing another DID (e.g. IPKall), which would reach your other location via SIP.

I failed to find info about your Ayu SIP phone.  I assumed that you are talking about a hardware IP phone with a handset and an Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection.  If so, can you please provide a link?  I found http://voip.ayucom.jp/ , but it only mentions softphones, smartphone apps, and the SPA2000 ATA.

If you have a hardware phone from Ayu and it is "unlocked", i.e. you have admin access to its configuration, then it's likely possible that you can use the same phone to make and receive calls on GV, via the OBi.  If by "SIP phone", you meant a software app from Ayu, then it should be possible to run an OBiTalk app on the same device, for access to your GV account.