News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

1A2 Key System

Started by MurrayB, April 24, 2012, 04:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MurrayB

Does anyone else have any experience or insight on the use of the Obi 110 with a 1A2 system? I have one of my Obi 110 in service with a 1A2.

Thanks!

Stewart

If it's working and you aren't having any trouble, you don't need any insight.  If you do have a problem, give us the details; the issue may not be specific to that system.  I have several ATAs behind a (not quite so old) Partner key system.

MurrayB

Sorry Stewart, I should have posted the problem. The equipment being essentially antiquated, but so rugged (mine has been in service over thirty years it survived a lightening strike about fifteen years ago) I thought that it may not be on anyone's radar.

I lifted the line from the KSU and fed the PSTN port from the demarc. I then connected the Phone port to a single line jack in the system. The single line jacks were installed for trimlines, cordless phones, caller ID boxes, etc. The jacks all have devices that would give A-lead control.

The key sets, original issue WE, lights work off hook, no ring issues due to the ring generator in the KSU. The trimlines off hook cause the lights to work but the cordless does not.

The system will not place the call on hold.

My first thought is that I may need a higher voltage or current level from the Obi.

When I went from copper to fiber the ONT supplied a lower voltage and perhaps lower current so the the single line A-lead devices stopped taking the lines off hold.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Stewart

For the hold issue:

Try increasing Phone Port -> OffHookCurrentMax from 20 to 30.  The manual says you can go as high as 45, but I'd be concerned about excessive dissipation in the SLIC impairing reliability.

If no luck, it may help to reduce the value of R1 on the 400 card -- see http://www.kadiak.org/tel/400d.jpg .  I don't know whether it's possible to increase the sensitivity of relay L on your cards; it is likely a sealed reed unit.

Otherwise, do you have the tools to troubleshoot this, e.g. an adjustable bench supply to see what voltage / current is needed for hold to work?

Also, report what the OBi shows for Phone Port Status, when pressing hold (A lead open but line button not yet popped).

MurrayB

Thanks Stewart - I had a feeling that current increase might be the answer as the system uses current as opposed to voltage to do its number. I will try the current change and check the phone port status with someones finger on the button if it does not help. I will have to search what SLIC stands for it does not jump out at me. I have the tools, I may need to borrow a variable supply I have given so much away. Mike Sandman has a wizards toolbox with interesting relays. I have one that I bought many years age when I made the switch from copper to fiber to solve the off hold issue but I think that I did not get immediate gratification so I set it aside and never went back to it because it was not a debilitating issue.

The lightening strike just took out one line card it would have blown an electronic system right off the wall.

MurrayB

I went to 30 then 45 with no joy. I reduced the current back to default.

Stewart

Quote from: MurrayB on April 24, 2012, 09:52:56 AM
I went to 30 then 45 with no joy. I reduced the current back to default.
Well, then it will be interesting to see what the tip-ring voltage and loop current are while attempting to hold.  Also, what voltage and current do you see when on a call?  This failure is a little strange to me, because I'd expect the KTU to work at the end of a very long CO loop, which would also be about 20 mA.

Stewart

I just discovered that the hold mechanism is different depending on line card type.  Which kind(s) do you have?  See http://thephonebooth.com/bsp/518-220-400.pdf .

MurrayB

The cards are 400D.

Just for your info it is a "shoebox" style KSU manufactured in the seventies.

MurrayB

Hi Stewart & everyone

I was just able to get back to this. Here is some data:

On Hook:

State   On Hook
LoopCurrent   0 mA
VBAT                    58 V
TipRingVoltage   45 V

On Call & hold button pushed not released same data:         

State   Off Hook
LoopCurrent   19 mA
VBAT                   17 V
TipRingVoltage   8 V

Stewart, I hope that this is what you want! What are your thoughts?