News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using Google Voice for Long Distance and Local Carrier for Local Calls

Started by ssturner66, April 24, 2012, 01:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssturner66

I recently purchased an OBi110 and would like to configure it so that when I dial a long distance number, the call is routed out through my Google Voice Number. When I make a local call (local to my calling area and telecom service provider), the call goes out through my local carrier (ie. Telus Communications).

I had a friend help me out and he suggested the following:

Click on Obi Endpoint.
Click Obi Expert Config.
Click Yes.
Click Enter Obi Expert.
On left side menu under Physical Interfaces, click on Line.
Second setting from the top is called DigitMap.
Uncheck "Obitalk settings" at far right.
Enter this: (<403>xxxxxxx|403xxxxxxx|<**1>1xxxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)
That's it... 911 and local 403 calls will always go Telus Communications, long distance will go over your Google Voice account.

I followed the instructions but when I call my cell phone or a friends land line from my phone connected to my OBi110, the CallerID number that shows up is my Google Voice number.

Is there a way that when I am calling a local number (so that the call routes through my local carrier - Telus) that the CallerID that displays on the phone I am calling will be my local number (ie. 403-xxx-xxxx) instead of my Google Voice Number, and conversely, when I make a long distance call, the CallerID number that is displayed is my Google Voice Number?

And... my local calling area now has 2 different area codes but they are both local calls, so how would I account for that? The area codes are: 403 and 587.

Thank you in advance.
Scott Turner.

RonR

Quote from: ssturner66 on April 24, 2012, 01:18:18 PM
I followed the instructions but when I call my cell phone or a friends land line from my phone connected to my OBi110, the CallerID number that shows up is my Google Voice number.

Is there a way that when I am calling a local number (so that the call routes through my local carrier - Telus) that the CallerID that displays on the phone I am calling will be my local number (ie. 403-xxx-xxxx) instead of my Google Voice Number, and conversely, when I make a long distance call, the CallerID number that is displayed is my Google Voice Number?

Calls made through your PSTN carrier (Telus) should show your Telus number for CallerID.  The OBi has no control over that.

Calls made through your Google Voice account will show your Google Voice number for CallerID.  Google Voice does not allow changing it.

Quote from: ssturner66 on April 24, 2012, 01:18:18 PM
my local calling area now has 2 different area codes but they are both local calls, so how would I account for that? The area codes are: 403 and 587.

(<aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|403xxxxxxx|587xxxxxxx|<**1>1xxxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

where aaa is the area code (403 or 587) you wish to be assumed when 7-digit numbers are dialed.

ssturner66

RonR, It would appear that my OBi110 is not sending calls out my local carrier as all the CallerID's keep showing my Google Voice number.

I have made the changes you suggested by adding the |587xxxxxxx| into the DigiMap configuration under the Line setting. Just to make sure, I rebooted the OBi110 as well.

From the phone attached to my OBi110 (local 587-xxx-xxxx number), I dial my cell phone (which is a local 403-xxx-xxxx number).

My cell phone shows my Google Voice number 435-xxx-xxxx as the CallerID even though I made the call from my desk phone connected to my OBi110 and the call should have been a local call and should have routed out the PSTN port on the OBi110 and showed my 587-xxx-xxxx number as the CallerID.

I also tried calling my work which is a local 587-xxx-xxxx number but the CallerID still showed as my 435-xxx-xxxx Google Voice number.

Am I missing a configuration somewhere else to make the local PSTN CallerID show when calls route out the PSTN port for local calls?

Thank you.

Scott Turner

RonR

I suspect you have your PrimaryLine set to SP1 Service.  Verify you have all the following settings:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : PSTN Line.

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap:

([2-9]11S0|<aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|403xxxxxxx|587xxxxxxx|<**1>1xxxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

where aaa is the area code (403 or 587) you wish to be assumed when 7-digit numbers are dialed.

[2-9]11  ->  PSTN Line
  7 digits  ->  PSTN Line (with 403 or 587 added)
10 digits  ->  PSTN Line (that start with 403 or 587)
11 digits  ->  SP1 Service (that start with 1)
    011+  ->  SP1 Service

ssturner66

Hi RonR,

Sorry, but I'm a newbie here and you've lost me.

I got as far as the Physical Interfaces -> Phone Port -> PrimaryLine : PSTN Line.

The rest has me confused... do I enter it exactly as you have listed it ie. the ([2-9]11SO|<aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|403xxxxxxx|587xxxxxxx|<**1>1xxxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

or am I supposed to be substituting numbers (of various lengths) for the [2-9] etc.

Not completely understanding your lines at the bottom of your message (the [2-9]11 -> PSTN Line etc.)

Thanks.

Scott Turner.

RonR

Simply copy/paste the values I listed into those settings.  They are the complete values.

Replace aaa with your area code (403 or 587).

The list at the bottom was just to show you what will go out where for the different dialing formats.

Felix

Scott -
just noticed that Ron's post has [2-9]11S0 - zero. For some reason your line looks like [2-9]11SO - letter oh. It should be zero...

ssturner66

Thanks RonR and Felix, I have my OBi110 up and running!
I appreciate your help in getting it working properly.

Scott Turner.

Sophia

Sorry to revive this topic, but it almost exactly provides the information I'm looking for :)
I am such a newbie yet, that I don't know how to adapt the code above into this simple rule:

If we dial a 1 or 011 in the front, use Google Voice,
Everything else, use our landline (I think that sums it up?)
Oh wait, 1800 and other free numbers should use our landline too...

Thanks so much in advance  ;D

Edit, would this do?

([2-9]11S0|<250>[2-9]xxxxxx|250xxxxxxx|<**1>1xxxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

Sophia

Ok... I studied the tutorial, but it is still rather difficult... would the following code be correct?

([2-9]11S0 | <250>xxx xxxx | <**1>1xxxxxxxxxx  !180x xxx xxxx !188x xxx xxxx | <**2>011xx. )

- [2-9]11S0 : (sorry, I don't understand this, what does it do?) - PSTN
- <250>xxx xxxx : anything with 7 digits will add 250 in front - PSTN
- <**1>1xxxxxxxxxx : anything that starts with 1 will use - SP1
- !180x xxx xxxx : except numbers that start with 180 ... - PSTN
- !188x xxx xxxx : except numbers that start with 188 ... - PSTN
- <**2>011xx. : international calls - SP2
- I think 911 is still missing? - PSTN

Please correct me if that was wrong, I think I am getting the hang if it by now :)

jimates

I thought ianobi would be by last night to give you the answers. I sent him a pm, he will be here later.

Sophia

Aww thanks  :-* But really I am in no great hurry and it's good that I am forced to use my own rusty brain too  ;D

ianobi

Sophia,

I'm assuming that you have PSTN on your Line Port, Google Voice on sp1, something on sp2? Also, Phone Port Primary Line is set:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : PSTN Line

Leave the ITSP A and B DigitMaps at default.

To route the calls to the correct trunks (line, sp1 etc), use the Mpli (Map Primary Line). In your case this is the Line Port DigitMap:

([2-9]11S0|<250>[2-9]xxxxxx|250xxxxxxx|180xxxxxxxx|188xxxxxxxx|<**1>1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

If you do have a service provider on sp2 through which you wish to send international calls, then:

([2-9]11S0|<250>[2-9]xxxxxx|250xxxxxxx|180xxxxxxxx|188xxxxxxxx|<**1>1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx|<**2>011xx.)

Calls will route as follows:

[2-9]11  ->  three digit numbers starting with 2 to 9 > PSTN Line
 7 digits  ->  Obi adds 250 > PSTN Line
10 digits  ->  that start with 250 > PSTN Line
11 digits -> that start with 180 > PSTN Line
11 digits -> that start with 188 > PSTN Line
11 digits  -> that start with 1 but not 18 > SP1 Service
   011+  ->  SP1 Service or SP2 if you use the **2 version

911 calls are a special case due to this rule in your Phone Port OutboundCallRoute:
{(<#:>|911):li}
This means that 911 calls will be sent direct to the Line Port regardless of anything in any DigitMap.

The above DigitMaps mean that you do not need to dial codes (**1 etc) to route the calls, the DigitMaps do it for you. However, if you wish to override the DigitMaps, then you can still dial **1 etc.

Feel free to ask questions – we are all learning here  :)
Sometimes my answers are a bit slow in coming as I am here when most of OBiLAND is asleep!

Edit: Refined 1xxxxxxxxxx to 1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx

tavie888

Hello ianobi & sophia,

If I remember the user manual correctly, the exclamation mark "!" in the Digit Map in Sophia's Post#9 means preventing or blocking the calls following it:

!188x xxx xxxx (spaces for readability only, no spaces in reality)

I submit this post because I have had to block toll-free (18xx) calls from telemarketers to my GoogleVoice number, since the recipient is charged a toll.

Ianobi, please confirm if I am correct about the use of exclamation mark in DigitMaps.

Thanks

:)

ianobi

tavie888,

Your general point is correct "!" is used to denote a barring rule. I assumed that in this context they must be typos ! used instead of | to separate one rule from another.

"!" can be useful in some contexts such as InboundCallRoutes, although there are other ways to create barring rules. DigitMaps mostly deal with outgoing calls. If you wanted to bar an outgoing route it seems simpler just to not include that route in the DigitMap.

tavie888

Hello ianobi,

Thanks for your reply.  I also appreciate your explanation on the difference in purposes between that of DigitMap and InboundCallRoute. 

I wish Obihai improve their user manual accordingly and also add more practical examples on the use of "configuration rules", for lack of a better term.

Cheers!

:)

Sophia

Thanks so much for the replies! Actually I did not erroneously put the exclamation mark there, I thought I had to because I was under the impression that the overlapping 1 xxx xxx xxxx and 1 8xx xxxx would rule each other out... as they say "never assume" lesson learned  ;D

As for testing, I have a funny story to share, might as well do it here... This morning, our landline was out, we picked up the phone, got a Busy tone. So I plugged back the original setup, line to phone, same thing! Busy tone.

My husband FURIOUS, that is what happens when you monkey with things, why do you have to be such a geek, leave things alone, NOW you have done it....................... actually he didn't say any of those things (he is sweet) but I'm sure he thought all that  ;D
Anyway, he tested all the wires as far as he could, tried different setups, NOTHING! Still no dial tone, just the busy signal.

So I FINALLY started a chat session with Telus, our provider... what was the case? They are having a major outage! :o It wasn't my fault at all   ::) Anyway, I can't test things right now, we are waiting for things to get back to normal, and have our phone plugged in directly for the time being.

I'll let you know when I have been able to test things, in the meantime, thanks again for your help!  :-*

PS Yes we do have a second SP which is FreePhoneLine, I am not sure yet what to use it for but probably not for international calls. I just added that as an example :)

ianobi

Keep on geeking - your husband will appreciate the cost savings  ;)

One thing to watch out for: If you cut and paste DigitMaps from here, then watch out for spaces creeping in; OBi really does not like spaces in its DigitMaps.

jimates

Quote from: ianobi on November 04, 2012, 01:29:37 AM
Keep on geeking - your husband will appreciate the cost savings  ;)

One thing to watch out for: If you cut and paste DigitMaps from here, then watch out for spaces creeping in; OBi really does not like spaces in its DigitMaps.

And sometimes when the digit map is on multiple lines it will only paste the first line. You may have to do it one line at a time to get it all in there. And as ianobi said, watch out for spaces or in call routes make sure the commas at in there.

Sophia

Thanks so much for all your help! This is up and running now  ;D
I'm sure I will have more questions  :D