News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Keeping my Google Voice password private

Started by Tangible, April 25, 2012, 10:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangible

I currently use Google Voice as my main phone number, forwarding to several cell phones and a Comcast land line. The Google account to which this is attached is also used for services such as Google Docs, containing confidential documents, and for email.

I am therefore looking for a way to use an OBI100 (not yet purchased) at my summer place, where there is Internet but no landline, for incoming and outgoing calls using my GV number without entering my password, or in such a way that an evil-doer could not get into anything but my GV account.

What's the best way to achieve this? [I considered using a different GV account, but apparently Google doesn't allow forwarding to a GV number.]

Stewart

For outbound calling, you could use a separate GV account.  Your calls will be sent with the "wrong" caller ID, but (based on what you have posted so far) that's also true with calls that you make from your Comcast account or your cell phones, so I assume that you don't care.

To receive calls placed to your main GV number, you'll need a non-GV DID.  This might be IPKall (free, no support, etc.), an Anveo Value number ($0.99/mo., first 40 min./day free, $0.015/min. overage) or Anveo Personal Unlimited ($1.99/mo.)  There are many other options.

Tangible

Thanks, Stewart. Actually I do care about the wrong caller-id going out. On the cell phones, I try to remember to use the GV+ iPhone app to dial out, but if I forget at least the return calls go to the cell phone. If people call my Comcast line, there's some chance someone will answer it. I wish there was a way to get Comcast to send my GV caller-id, but apparently there isn't.

If I use a new GV number for outbound, return calls will not be answered at all. I suppose I could have its voicemail tell people to hang up and call back on my "real" GV number.

To be clear about your Anveo suggestion: So, the phone number I get from them would be eligible to be one of my GV forwarded phones, right? Can you point me toward the documentation for setting up this approach, i.e. with a GV number for inbound and an Anveo number for outbound?

Finally, while searching for an answer before posting I came across many references to CallCentric. Are they also a good alternative for the outbound calling?

Thanks for your suggestions and patience with a phone newbie.

Rick

Transfer your GV accounts to another Gmail account, and don't use any other Google functions on that account. 

http://support.google.com/voice/bin/static.py?hl=en&ts=1378507&page=ts.cs

Tangible

Thanks, Rick. Given all the dire warnings at that link page I may have to take a Valium before I dare to try it.

Everton

What Rick suggested is the way to go.  I did this sometime ago and was able to transfer one of my GV Number to a newly created Gmail account without a hitch.  You could just create a new GV number/Gmail Account and inform all your contacts about the change.

Quote from: Tangible on April 25, 2012, 12:59:21 PM
Thanks, Rick. Given all the dire warnings at that link page I may have to take a Valium before I dare to try it.

Rick

I started with a new GV account, not using my existing one.  Ported my home number to that account, nothing else on it.  My other GV (business number) forwards to my home number (before it was a GV number), so I'm all set.

Stewart

@Rick, many thanks for posting that -- I was unaware that you could move a GV number to another account and preserve all the associated data.

@Tangible, IMO both Callcentric and Anveo are high-end PAYG providers with excellent quality, reliability and support.  Callcentric has been around more than ten years, while Anveo is a relative newcomer with about a two-year track record.  As you would expect, Anveo has more aggressive pricing.  Both companies allow you to make calls with any desired outbound caller ID, once you have verified ownership of the number in question.  Although Rick's suggestion solves the main problem at your summer home, you may still want Anveo or Callcentric service there, e.g. for 911, as a backup, for better rates to a frequently called country, or for a feature not provided by GV.

Possibly, you may want to replace your Comcast voice service with a combination of GV and another provider.  With proper configuration of two OBi devices, you can make and receive calls on the same GV account from either location.

With your existing Comcast service, you can make outbound calls showing your GV number in several ways:  You can dial the GV number and at the main menu, press 2 to make an outgoing call.  Or, from the GV web site, you can click on a voice message, history entry, or contact; your Comcast phone will ring and upon answer your party will be called.  There is also a Call button, useful for calling a number not yet in your GV records.

Felix

I want to challenge the premise of this post... Once you set up OBi device in your summer place, there is no way for renter or other evil doer steal your password. It's not there on the device!

I am sure there are crafty way to hack it (through some eavesdropping on SIP traffic or similar) - but it's not like somebody can log in to the device and look at the password the way one can see WiFi password on the router.

Not to mention that you can password-protect the device itself!

Anyway, I am not calling for complacency; just for more reasonable risk analysis