News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ported to Tmobile but can't port to Google Voice.

Started by minniemae, April 27, 2012, 03:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minniemae

I ported my home phone number to Tmobile but Google Voice says it can't port this number to Google Voice.  I checked this number before I started this process.

So what are my options now?  I need to get my calls on the Tmobile phone to ring on my Obi phone.  Can I register the Tmobile number to Google Voice and just forward all calls to my Obi number?

Need to find a alternative solution to use my old home phone number.

Noobie Mom

carl

Happened to me. They simply did not complete my port.
If you let your calls forward from TMO to GV, you will incur airtime charges.
You can do a bunch of things. There is a parkmyphone.com service, you can check them out.A better solution would be a second provider for your Obi like Callcentric, which will port your number for $ 15. There might be other solutions as well.

Stewart

Quote from: minniemae on April 27, 2012, 03:00:45 PMI checked this number before I started this process.
What is the area code and the next three digits of your number?

Do you mean that when the number was still at Verizon, GV said that they could port it?  That's very strange, because a non-mobile number is normally immediately rejected by GV.

Assuming that you can't fix the porting problem with GV, you have many choices:

1. Get service from a provider such as VOIPo or Phonepower.  Although relatively expensive, they can likely port your number at no cost and set up everything for you.

2. Port your number to a pay-as-you-go provider such as Anveo or Callcentric, but set up the OBi with a (new) Google Voice number as well.  You'll be able to receive calls on either number.  When you call out, you can select GV (free, but will show the new number to your contact), or the other provider (will show your home number, but you'll pay $0.01 per minute or more, depending on provider).

3. Port your number to a forwarding service, for example http://www.voipo.com/cloudnumbers.php .  Outbound calls on GV will show the new number, but you'll be able to receive calls on either.

Studly

I'm having this same problem as the OP had. I checked before porting my landline to Tmobile and then to GV. Originally before I started, I typed in the number at GV, and although it said it was a landline and couldn't port it, it didn't give me any other reason for being unportable.

So I figured once it was ported to Tmobile, which happened yesterday and wasn't a problem, it should be portable to GV. Now that the number is at Tmobile, when I try to port it to GV and type in the #, GV says they can't port it because they don't support numbers in the area.

Could this be happening because I'm still in the dual service mode of my line being ported to Tmobile and that first porting isn't 100% complete yet (I'm still getting calls on that number from both phone services, even though its been about 36 hours since the port started)?

My number is in the 952-856-XXXX range, and when I checked, it said Broadband (the service Google Voice uses) operates exchanges in the 952-856 range and I've read on forums that others actually have a Google Voice # that begins with the same 952-856 area code and prefix.

truelies

Quote from: Studly on June 28, 2012, 12:59:28 PM
I'm having this same problem as the OP had. I checked before porting my landline to Tmobile and then to GV. Originally before I started, I typed in the number at GV, and although it said it was a landline and couldn't port it, it didn't give me any other reason for being unportable.

So I figured once it was ported to Tmobile, which happened yesterday and wasn't a problem, it should be portable to GV. Now that the number is at Tmobile, when I try to port it to GV and type in the #, GV says they can't port it because they don't support numbers in the area.

Could this be happening because I'm still in the dual service mode of my line being ported to Tmobile and that first porting isn't 100% complete yet (I'm still getting calls on that number from both phone services, even though its been about 36 hours since the port started)?

My number is in the 952-856-XXXX range, and when I checked, it said Broadband (the service Google Voice uses) operates exchanges in the 952-856 range and I've read on forums that others actually have a Google Voice # that begins with the same 952-856 area code and prefix.

I have exactly same problem. How did you solve this? my number is 281-778-**** range.

Studly

Quote from: truelies on August 28, 2012, 09:08:01 AM
I have exactly same problem. How did you solve this? my number is 281-778-**** range.

I couldn't get around it, and since I wanted to use GV and not port that number elsewhere, I just changed my phone number and gave up on porting it.

truelies

Quote from: Studly on August 28, 2012, 09:20:37 AM
Quote from: truelies on August 28, 2012, 09:08:01 AM

I couldn't get around it, and since I wanted to use GV and not port that number elsewhere, I just changed my phone number and gave up on porting it.

Thanks. Maybe wait several days it will be ok to transfer? I think it's Tmobile problem.

carl

Call T-mobile. They will tell you. In 99% it is Google voice where the problem is.

Christophe

Same problem here with a 916-791-xxxx number recently ported from Surewest to T-Mobile.

Porting your mobile number to Google Voice is unavailable
Your mobile number can not be ported at this time.
- This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support for porting

Please share if you find a solution