News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can OBi work like MJ+ ?

Started by dddiam, April 28, 2012, 05:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dddiam

I am trying to decide what VoIP phone adapter to purchase.

I know that MJ+ will work through a computer (connected via USB), using the computer as the internet gateway, or directly through an internet router (connected via ethernet).

Can OBi also work that way?

Sometimes, in resorts, one must pay a fee (perhaps $30 per week) for a wireless internet connection for one laptop.  It would be desirable to be able to connect the OBi device through the laptop to use that connection.

Sometimes, in hotels, it can be tricky to choose a working wireless router, and to successfully connect to it using the assigned password. Often one needs to login via an intranet web page.  In those situations, also, one would want to connect using the PC, and piggyback the OBi on that connection.

Can any of the OBi models be configured to work that way?  How?

I could, of course, just use a software-based ViOP service with a headset in those situations, but the sound quality might not be as good.

What are your thoughts on this?

David D.

Felix

Quote from: dddiam on April 28, 2012, 05:17:49 PM
I know that MJ+ will work through a computer (connected via USB), using the computer as the internet gateway, or directly through an internet router (connected via ethernet).

No.

What service are you planning to use? If MagicJack (I assume that's what MJ+ stands for), then you need to use MJ device, and any thoughts on other devices seem irrelevant. If you are still deciding what VoIP provider you want to use, then the default for OBihai users is Google Voice. If you are in the hotel with WiFi only, you can use computer with Google Chat; otherwise, you can plug OBi into LAN

pc44

Quote from: dddiam on April 28, 2012, 05:17:49 PM
I am trying to decide what VoIP phone adapter to purchase.

Sometimes, in resorts, one must pay a fee (perhaps $30 per week) for a wireless internet connection for one laptop.  It would be desirable to be able to connect the OBi device through the laptop to use that connection.

Sometimes, in hotels, it can be tricky to choose a working wireless router, and to successfully connect to it using the assigned password. Often one needs to login via an intranet web page.  In those situations, also, one would want to connect using the PC, and piggyback the OBi on that connection.

Hi David,

As Felix stated, the Obi does not have that innate capability.  However, assuming you are using a PC and not a Mac, you could easily make this setup work, if I understand your request correctly.

Connect your laptop to the hotel/motel wireless hotspot using your wireless network connection.  Then, plug your Obi100/110 into your laptop's wired network port using a cross-over network cable.  (Not sure if the Obi's ethernet port supports MDI/MDI-X. Does anyone know? If so, then even a regular network cable will work.)

Now, simply Bridge your wireless and wired network connections together on the laptop (go to your Network Adapters page, highlight both adapters, right-click, and click Bridge), and you're all set.

The Obi will now be online using the wireless connectivity of your laptop.  Hope it helps.

pc44

dddiam

Quote from: pc44 on April 29, 2012, 01:19:22 PM
As Felix stated, the Obi does not have that innate capability.  However, assuming you are using a PC and not a Mac, you could easily make this setup work, if I understand your request correctly.

Connect your laptop to the hotel/motel wireless hotspot using your wireless network connection.  Then, plug your Obi100/110 into your laptop's wired network port using a cross-over network cable...
Thank you! It does not matter to me whether a phone adaptor supports a USB connection or an Ethernet connection to the PC, as long as it works. It sounds like a cross-over Ethernet cable will do the trick...
...(Not sure if the Obi's ethernet port supports MDI/MDI-X. Does anyone know? If so, then even a regular network cable will work.)
...or maybe even a straight Ethernet cable. Does anyone know?
Now, simply Bridge your wireless and wired network connections together on the laptop (go to your Network Adapters page, highlight both adapters, right-click, and click Bridge), and you're all set.

The Obi will now be online using the wireless connectivity of your laptop.  Hope it helps.
Thank you! I did not know about bridging. Your answer also explains why I have never been able to have a PC's wired Ethernet connection and wireless modem connection open at the same time. What a bonus!  Thanks for the link to a page about bridging.
Quote from: Felix on April 28, 2012, 05:57:47 PM
If you are in the hotel with WiFi only, you can use computer with Google Chat; otherwise, you can plug OBi into LAN
I will also give Google Chat or Google Talk a try and see how well it works between laptop and land line, for use in hotel situations.  Of course, I will also try the OBi through laptop connection solution.

Thank you pc44 and Felix.

- David

pc44

Hi David,

Thanks for the response.  Glad the post may be of some help.  Do let us know if you are eventually successful with your setup.  I have tested the setup that I described in that post using a Vonage ATA VoIP device, successfully in the past.  So, I believe it should also work with the Obis as well.

I looked through the Obi Device Admin Guide, but could not find any detailed information on the NIC ports provided in the Obis.  As an unscientific, unofficial test, I just hooked up my Obi to my network switch (which I am pretty sure supports MDI/MDI-X), and the Obi was not able to access the network when reversing the ethernet wiring.  I waited for a couple minutes, and then tried to access the Obi configuration page via the web browser and also tried pinging the Obi static address with no success.  About 5 seconds after replacing the cable with the original ethernet cable, I was able to ping my Obi successfully.  This tells me that the Obi does not support Auto-MDI and is unable to auto-detect/auto-switch the transmit/receive signals on its network port.

So, in a nutshell, based on my unscientific test, you will need a cross-over ethernet cable (or adapter) when using the Obi with the bridged wired-wireless laptop setup described above!  :)

Hope it helps,
pc44

Felix

Frankly, I am still puzzled what problem we are trying to solve here. I assume, it is this:

• you are in hotel with WiFi only
  • you have a provider (Google Voice or SIP) that gives you credentials
  • you want to make a telephone call
Anything I missed?

Then you install a softphone (Google Talk, 3CX, or one of dozen others), buy a USB Headset and make a call from the computer.

Cross-over cable... MDI/MDI-X... bridging networks... You are complicating things too much  8)

Rick

If you join most hotel's rewards programs, many of which you can get some type of elite status via a connection (i.e. get Hilton Visa or Amex with no annual charge), get higher status.

Also, if you have an OBi then you're using Google Voice most likely.  Many cell plans allow for certain numbers to be "friends" or "circle", meaning they can call for free to you or you can call them for free.  I have 10 numbers I can identify for Verizon Wireless.

List the GV number as a friend, then call out using Google Voice, and you're making free cell calls home and not using your minutes.  Or call anywhere your cell plan allows and not use minutes.

Stewart

IMO, you'll likely get better results by leaving the OBi at home.  See my comment in http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2504.msg16180#msg16180