News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OPBI 202 needs reboot after each power interruption

Started by carl, April 30, 2012, 08:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carl

Whenever my Obi 202 restarts either because I unplugged it or because of power interruption  the green LED's for the phone service come on for a few seconds and then shut down. Off course, there is no phone service available. A reboot fixes the problem right away, but this makes the Obi unsuitable for being left unattended.
Anyone with Obi 202 experiencing the same problem ?   My Obi 1000 never did this. ::)

Stewart

When it's malfunctioning, can it communicate on the network?  If so, what does it show for status of the Phone ports?  If not, do you reboot it by interrupting power?  If so, how is that different from the interruption that causes the trouble?

carl

While I do not have all answers yet, the main difference is that by reboot I only remove the power from the Obi while with the general interruption also the internet gateway goes down and has to boot up. That is when the problem occurs. As said,the old Obi 100 does not do that.

RonR

Quote from: carl on April 30, 2012, 12:51:24 PM
While I do not have all answers yet, the main difference is that by reboot I only remove the power from the Obi while with the general interruption also the internet gateway goes down and has to boot up. That is when the problem occurs. As said,the old Obi 100 does not do that.

My OBi100/110's usually don't startup reliably if they are rebooted without the router being fully operational.  My OBi's typically need rebooted again, either programmatically or by cycling the power, once the router becomes fully operational.

Stewart

Try setting an appropriate static IP (you must also set SubnetMask, DefaultGateway, DNSServer1, DNSServer2).

carl

Quote from: RonR on April 30, 2012, 01:04:24 PM

My OBi100/110's usually don't startup reliably if they are rebooted without the router being fully operational.  My OBi's typically need rebooted again, either programmatically or by cycling the power, once the router becomes fully operational.

That's interesting, because I never experienced that problem with obi100 in spite of turning of the power 6days a week.
The big question here is : If this is not a bug but something we have to live with how do you handle power interruptions in situations where you have to keep ( one ) Obi in a remote location ? Installing an expensive power back up for the gateway and Obi ? They use together like 70 watts.

RonR

I have a 1500va and a 750va UPS here that keeps everything running for about 30 minutes, so I don't get power interruptions.

My experiencies with the OBi's not recovering reliably are following manually rebooting or power-cycling the router.  There's an excellent chance the problem is in the OBi's DHCP logic and Stewart's suggestion of using a static IP address my reduce your problems.

carl

Customer service did some firmware fix/upgrade on my unit and the problem has been solved.