News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Please confirm if following configuration is possible

Started by VanZemaljac, April 30, 2012, 12:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanZemaljac

My setup would be to have two OBi110 units (call them A and B), without VoIP providers, able to communicate with each other using the OBiTALK network. Both devices would be connected to landline (and internet of course).

Now, I have read that device acts as a gateway and bridge to the PSTN for calls originating on a VoIP service, but not sure what happens for calls originating on landline. In particular, I am interested if it would be possible to set up the devices such that: Person calls the landline that OBi A is connected to, and then OBi A transfers the call to OBi B. If this is possible, would there be too many intermediate step for the caller? Are OBi202 devices capable of this?

I need a confirmation before purchasing the units. Thanks for your help!

RonR

You only option is to use OBi110's as an OBi100 and OBi202 do not have a LINE Port.

With a PSTN line connected to both OBi110's, it's possible to configure them such that incoming calls from either PSTN line ring either or both OBi's.  It's also possible to configure them such that outgoing calls can be made through either or both OBi's from either OBi.

jimates

Quote from: VanZemaljac on April 30, 2012, 12:12:55 PM
My setup would be to have two OBi110 units (call them A and B), without VoIP providers, able to communicate with each other using the OBiTALK network. Both devices would be connected to landline (and internet of course).

Now, I have read that device acts as a gateway and bridge to the PSTN for calls originating on a VoIP service, but not sure what happens for calls originating on landline. In particular, I am interested if it would be possible to set up the devices such that: Person calls the landline that OBi A is connected to, and then OBi A transfers the call to OBi B. If this is possible, would there be too many intermediate step for the caller? Are OBi202 devices capable of this?

I need a confirmation before purchasing the units. Thanks for your help!

Yes, with the Obi110. The Obi202 does not the ability to connect a landline to it. You must buy the Obi110 if incorporating a landline into the system.

If the landline does not have caller id service then only "all calls" can be routed (except through the AA). With caller id you can route any call.

Stewart

The OBi202 cannot connect to a landline.  With two OBi110 units, you can set them up so that calls to the landline connected to A would ring phones at A and B (whichever was answered first would get the call), ring only at B, or ring either A or B, depending on the caller's number.  It's also possible for a call answered at A to be manually transferred to B, or vice-versa.

However, if you want the caller to choose the destination, the OBi is somewhat limited.  The menu would have to say something like "press 1 for A or 21# for B."

VanZemaljac

Thanks everyone for such a quick reply! (and great news!)

Ideasmiths

Good answers from the regular contributors here.

I am using the exact setup that you are asking for, I bought 2x110 and place one in the office and the other at home, both connected to PSTN lines and no VOIP services. Here are some tips that I learned the hard way.

1) Use ObiTalk to register both Obi110 or signup two Obitalk account, dedicated to each Obi110 device. The Obitalk is another service besides the VOIP/PSTN/auto attendent. In the beginning I was confused which is which. Then use the Obitalk Expert configurator to change the settings of the Obi110, instead of using the build - in web browser in the device. The advantage is remote configuration and ensuring that they are online.

2) By default, once you power on, both Obi110 already is setup to put phone calls through the Line port, so if you you plug in a normal analog phone to use ObiA (with dialplans or autoattendant) to call ObiB number (the 9 digits phone number starting with 290 behind the device), the phone on the ObiB will ring and the conversation is through the internet (ie no cost).

3) If you want to implement your idea of your friend Call Obi A number which automatically send the ring and call to ObiB, you can set the call forward settings. But this could mean that ALL calls goes to ObiB, making ObiA redundant. This is useful you are trying to lower international calling cost by putting ObiA on home ground and sending ObiB to some other countries....The other way is as others have mentioned, you need to setup the auto attendant to redirect your caller to obi B when they dial the ObiA number(s)