News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

WiFi adaptor for all Obi Products (WiFi Bridge)

Started by larrybob, May 01, 2012, 01:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larrybob

I just installed the Vonets VAP11g WiFi bridge on a obi 110, and it works great. It is a dedicated WiFi bridge, and has no options for other configurations. What is very nice, is  that it uses the power plug from the OBI, and then pigtails into the obi box. (There is no additional power brick needed.) It is about the size of a package of gum. It is g/b. It is available at amazon for about $25.
http://www.amazon.com/Bridge-Wireless-Receiver-Streaming-Application/dp/B005OIB714/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1335905931&sr=8-18

Set UP
The box says Windows, Linux, Mac Os, however , I was only able to download the software for Windows. The CD that comes with it might have other software on it, but it was the small CD size, and I do not have a player for this size CD. To set up the device, first the driver must be loaded on a windows machine. Then, the VAP11 with a supplied USB adapter is fitted to the power pigtail, this cable and the and the internet connector pigtail from the VAP11g are both plugged into the Windows machine.

The software brings up a list of available WiFi signals, you pick your network and enter the pass key.
( The software only gave me an option of entering a pass-phrase for my WPA2 net work, but I entered the 10 digit key I am using and it worked). The VAP11g cycles itself, and then it is configured.

I turned off my Netbook, then attached the power cord from the OBi box into the VAP11g, and the power and internet pigtails from the device into the obi box. 30 seconds later, I had my WiFi enabled obi110!

Update:
It has been working with no problems for about a week. The unit gets a little warm, but i guess that is normal. It is picking up the WiFi signal from about 30 feet with no problems. There is a hack shown on the company's website for adding an external antenna.

If anyone else is using this please post your experience here. Larry

drzhivago

hello,
How i can use the power plug from OBI110 ??
I don't understand !!
do u have picture for it  ??

RonR

Quote from: drzhivago on May 18, 2012, 09:29:17 AM
How i can use the power plug from OBI110 ??

The OBi power supply plugs into the VAP11g.  Then the power cable from the VAP11g plugs into the OBi.

Moe_U

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw your post and purchased the bridge from Amazon. It was very easy to configure, and I did not encounter any *real problems. I have been using the device for about two weeks.

*Note to anyone using a MAC filter: Be sure to also add the obi device's MAC address. Evidently the bridge sends that value.