News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID Name

Started by mcgraham89, March 11, 2011, 05:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgraham89

Hello,

I just dropped my Vonage VOIP service and picked up the Obihai device. I'm very happy with it overall, but was wondering if there was a way to display caller id name with incoming/outgoing calls. I'm currently using Google Voice on Sp1 and voipmyway on Sp2.

Google Voice just shows the Plus sign and then the 11 digit number in Caller ID Name Field on my phone. It also just shows the geographical area that my phone number is registered in  the Caller ID Name field for Outgoing calls.

Call ID Name does appear on incoming calls with voipmyway. However it also just shows the geographical area that my phone number is registered in the Caller ID Name field for Outgoing calls.

I read in the suggestion thread about Caller ID name with google so I'm assuming this may not be possible at this time. Just wanted to verify and ask a few questions since I'm new to this device. I'm just trying to understand what is and isn't possible. Thanks in advance.

OBi-Guru

No CallerID name for GoogleVoice as far as we know.

QBZappy

Hi,

This is a recipe to get CID via GV. For those with a Pots line or those with cellulars who might call through the AA it might be possible to pass CID via GV in an automated way.

It's been noted else where on the Forum as a work around. That method is manual. Works but already too much trouble for most people.

Receipe found here:

http://knol.google.com/k/benjamin-busch/how-to-make-your-google-voice-number/1bbrdmd29mymy/5#

Recap:

Here is a legend as to how your contact numbers should look:

GVN = Your Google Voice Number
P = Pause
2 = Actual number 2
CFN = Your contact's full phone number (555-555-1234)
# = Actual pound symbol

Let's put it together:

GVN P 2 CFN #

Or

555-555-9876 Pause 2 555-555-1234 #

Now, some of you are thinking, but I have my GV number to require the passcode. If you understand the way this works, it's an easy fix. Just add a few digits to the string.

Addition to the legend:

PIN = Pin number you have programmed

Let's put it together with the code:

CVN P P PN P 2 CFN #

Or

555-555-9876 (Pause) (Pause) (Pin Number) (Pause) 2 555-555-1234 #

I think there might be a way to automate this by pre pending numbers before the number you actually want to dial. I'm not sure how to enter a Pause. Can someone at OBi central translate this into OBiTalk language for us?

Thanks
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

Quote from: mcgraham89 on March 11, 2011, 05:15:59 PMGoogle Voice just shows the Plus sign and then the 11 digit number in Caller ID Name Field on my phone. It also just shows the geographical area that my phone number is registered in  the Caller ID Name field for Outgoing calls.
This article will give you an idea of why Google Voice probably doesn't provide CallerID Name.  They would have to purchase the info from someone as it's the receiving service provider's responsibility to provide the it (CallerID Name is not something that's passed through the PSTN).  Then again, they probably have enough information on all of us to start their own CallerID Name database.   :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID

QBZappy

RonR,

Thanks. It would have been a good work around during the time GV was not passing the CID a few weeks ago.

Rats, back to the drawing board.

;D
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

dealyanodeal

just a thought....maybe obi should provide  this if it let us maintain a caller id list on obitalk.Users can maintain a contact list on obitalk with names and number. As all incoming calls are parsed through obi so while parsing they can get the callr name if it is in the contact list and forwrd it to to phone.  will only work for numbers in contact list but better than nothing.
will be a nice feature.

QBZappy

dealyanodeal,

Hi,

I think only OBi to OBi calls might go throught the OBi servers at the beginning of the call. I don't think SIP calls to the OBi unit ever go through the OBi server. That really limits the usefulness caller lookup in the OBi server. Only othe OBi callers will show CID name.

I called the phone attached to my OBi unit using the OBi app. The phone shows Obi as the Caller name, and the 9 digit ObiAPP number as the Caller number.

RonR

The only thing the OBiTALK portal/server/whatever should get involved with is things like configuration assistance.  Any features the OBi has should be on the OBi itself.  If (heaven forbid) anything ever happens to Obihai and the OBi relies on their servers for anything other than configuration assistance, you could end up with a unit that's severely crippled or even totally non-functional.  I fear OBi-to-OBi features are already at risk (it's hard to know how much so with no protocol details available).  If all advertised features reside in the OBi itself, you may have to break down and read the manual, but at least your OBi will still be fully functional in Obihai's absence.

earthtoobi

on an incoming call,wondering if atleast google/xmpp chat client in Obi can match the number against name in its own google contacts and provide the name on the phone display.
CC has a similar feature: if the number is there in my CC address book, it will pass the name accordingly.