News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 - Echo and Buzz sound

Started by SK02, May 04, 2012, 09:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SK02

Hello Obi-ians,

I have a problem from last one week on the Obi device installed in India. My setup is:

First device: Obi100 configured with GV in USA.
Second device: Obi110 configured with GV in India and connected PSTN line also.

When I call my Obi110 device in India using GV number or Obi's device number, it rings and my family in India picks up the call. As soon they pick up, we hear a buzz sound (something like a sound we hear when we tune for radio stations) and when I talk from here, I can hear my own voice (we can call it an Echo). This has been happening from last one week. I have used this setup with no issues from the day i installed i.e., from last two months until last one week back.

Today I used auto attendant and used PSTN line to call other local number in India and it worked like a gem... call quality was excellent and no disturbance at all.

Also I tried my family to connect the Obi device directly to ISP provided modem and by not using the router. Also I asked them to switch of TV, cordless phone (asked them to use fixed land line phone) but still have the issue.

If Obi support or any users who had similar problem can give me their valuable advice, it would be of great help.

Thanks,
SK

SK02

Obi Support please help.

Thanks,
Suresh

djinks

I too have an echo problem.  I placed a call to Germany today (Google Voice account as the service) and I had a noticeable echo, but no other noise.  I have not yet tried the OBI110 on domestic calls. I did not find anything in the FAQ. Any suggestions?  Help Suresh and myself fix this.

djinks

I searched the forum a bit and ran into this thread and post #3 seemed to offer a solution.  I changed ChannelTxGain and ChannelRxGain to -3 and did not have the echo anymore.

Here is how I changed the gain:

1. Determine the OBI device manager's  IP address by dialing *** and choosing option 1.
2. Login to the OBI device manager web page with a web browser and that address. Default user name and password is "admin".
3. Select Physical Interfaces, then Phone port in the left panel
3. Uncheck default for both ChannelTxGain and ChannelRxGain and enter -3 for both.
4. Click the submit button at the bottom of the page and follow the on-screen instructions to reboot (button in upper left of page) the device and refresh the page after two minutes.

Hope that helps.

TraderJoe

BUZZ Solution

In the case where you are hearing a buzz, either during the call, or only when someone is talking or only for a second after someone finishes talking/during silences.

The problem is very likely the power supply for the obi.

I personally resolved this issue by using a 12 volt battery backup system I re-purposed to power my obi in the event of a power failure. I snipped off the 12 volt existing connector and the 12 volt connector from my obi power supply, and wired the obi power plug to the 12 volt backup supply.

The supply offers a very clean 12 volts, which solved the problem.

As an experiment I tried some other 12vdc supplies I had around and had varying degrees of success - typically the more expensive the power supply the less the buzz.

The reason is that the power adapter for the obi is not of high quality - a high quality power supply can raise costs significantly, so this is not a shortcoming per se but more of a feature.

Ken