News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting up Obi110 as Extension for Asterisk, nothing more nothing less

Started by obelastixpbx, May 06, 2012, 11:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obelastixpbx

I've read the instructions located at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1157.0.

I can make calls out and receive calls successfully. My question is regarding the dial plans, are they completely necessary? I read something that MichinganTelephone wrote regarding having PBX handle all dial plans being best and I agree.

However if I delete the dial plan provided by the link above from ITSP General, ((911S0|1xxxxxxxxxxS0|011xx.S2|xx.S2|xS2|xxS2|*x.S2|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.) the phone just returns to the dial tone when a number is entered and the call is not completed.

I want the Obi110 to make no modifications at all to the entered digits. I don't want Google Voice, I don't want to bridge to anything, I don't want anything else. I just want to use it as a simple extension, just as a soft phone on a computer works with a PBX. A softphone doesn't need dial plans or anything else. It just registers to the PBX and works, with the PBX handling dial plans etc.

I am using Elastix (variation on Asterisk) if that helps.

Can this be done?

Stewart

The main purpose of the dial plan is to determine when the digits entered have formed a complete number, which is then sent to Asterisk.  With nearly all softphones, after a number is entered manually, you have to press Enter, or click a Call or Send button to send the call (selecting a contact or history entry implies sending).  Cell phones and many IP phones also work that way.

Although you can program the OBi to work the same way, e.g. you would press # after a number to send it, that would likely be confusing to guests or new employees, and it also causes problems with contact and history lists.

The other simple approach is to have the OBi wait a delay after each digit, to see whether more are coming.  When the delay expires with no further entry, the call is sent.  IMO, that also sucks.  If you set a long delay, e.g. six seconds, that adds six seconds to the setup time of every call.  If the delay is short, e.g. two seconds, then pausing for two seconds while dialing, e.g. to look up the rest of the number, will cause the partial string to be sent and the call to fail.

The right solution is for the OBi to understand the number formats you are using, so it knows when a number is complete and can send the call immediately.  This is done with a properly designed dial plan.

For example, you are in the US and your system accepts 911, 7-digit local numbers, 1+areacode+number, extension numbers from 020 to 029, and international calls beginning with 011.  In all but the international case, the OBi can tell from the first digits, how many more are expected; the call is sent as soon as the last digit is entered.  For international calls, you might set the delay at four seconds; you could still press # after the number to bypass the delay.

obelastixpbx

Thank you Stewart, I think I understand now. Thanks for taking the time to explain!

obelastixpbx

I had another question come to mind, is it possible to disable the built in commands for Obi110? Such as *79, *87 etc. I understand I have to leave in dial plans to make the phone a bit easier to use, but I would like to prevent inadvertent commands from messing with settings on the Obi and causing me grief. Also, by disabling I can make sure that * commands that are meant for the Asterisk box make it through rather then being accepted by the Obi.

RonR

Quote from: obelastixpbx on May 07, 2012, 02:34:50 PM
I had another question come to mind, is it possible to disable the built in commands for Obi110? Such as *79, *87 etc.

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> StarCodeProfile : None

obelastixpbx