News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using Obi overseas - how to get the attendant to recognize a nonUS number

Started by itisus, April 30, 2012, 03:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itisus

I am in Europe and want to be able to use a VoIP service from a remote phone, but my Obi110 doesn't recognize my number.  I have put it in as I would call it here in Slovenia, I had put it in as if I was calling here from the US.
The main reason I got the Obi110 was to be able to make calls to the US via Obi110 from my cell phone. 
Help!

Stewart

Assuming that you are trying to use the callback function on the OBi and you are calling a Google Voice number to trigger it, I would expect your number to appear as 386xxxxxxxx.  In any case, you can look at the call history in the OBi or at your provider to see how the caller ID is showing up.

Otherwise, please provide some more details.  Are you calling from a landline, a mobile or a VoIP app?  Calling a number where?  With which provider?  Using call-through or callback?  Which providers would be used to establish the final call?

Stewart

Sorry, I just realized that I may have misunderstood your question.  Where is the OBi (with you in Slovenia, back in the US, elsewhere)?  What services do you have configured on it?  Who is your mobile carrier?

itisus

Thanks for the reply. 
Obi is here in Slovenia.  Want to use a Slovene cell phone to call the Slovene land line that the Obi is on to be able to them call via Google Voice to the US remotely. 
Mobile carrier is Mobitel here in Slovenia. 

Felix

I think Stewart's first post is on the mark... How does the incoming call show up in the Call log?

itisus

itisus

Also, I wasn't trying to use callback (I don't think).  I was just trying to make a call from my Slovenia cell phone using Obi110 via our Slovenia home phone number

Stewart

Log into the OBi at the IP address reported when you dial ***1.  Username/password are admin/admin (default) or as shown on the OBiTalk portal.  Under Status, click Call History, which will show the last 200 calls.  On a failing call from your mobile, see what's shown for Peer Number -- that's what you want to set as trusted caller.

If it's blank, caller ID isn't working.  Does your landline have that service?  Does it work correctly with a phone connected directly to the wall jack?  Does it work correctly with a phone connected to the OBi's Phone port?  If not, did you make settings in the OBi to match the caller ID format for Slovenia?

itisus

Thanks. 
Yes they are blank. 
I am checking on the caller ID question - no, nothing shows up on my phone. 
How do I make OBI match the caller ID format for here?

Stewart

Do you have a phone designed for use in Slovenia, i.e. not one that you brought from the US or a third country?  If so, try connecting that phone directly to the wall jack (OBi not in the path).  If caller ID still doesn't show up, either you don't have caller ID service, or you have an issue that you will need to resolve with your landline carrier.  If your landline is sending caller ID, we can try changing some settings to get the OBi to read it.

If you can't get landline caller ID to work, there are several other options:

1. Have the autoattendant answer all calls, either immediately or after a delay.  Of course, you would use a strong PIN to prevent unauthorized use.

2. Use a service such as Localphone.  Once set up, you dial a Ljubljana number and it rings your contact in the US.  Of course, it's not free -- most US destinations are $0.005/min.  You get a five minute free trial at signup.  This method has nothing to do with the OBi.

3. You can set up Localphone to call your OBi for free, which can then send your calls via Google Voice.  You'll need to pay €5 to start your Localphone account, but there will be no per-call cost (except cellular minutes).

4. If oubound calls on your cell plan are expensive, e.g. a prepaid card at €0.18/min., you can set up the OBi to do callback.  You call it from your mobile, it doesn't answer right away, you hang up and it calls you back.  You can then dial your destination number through the autoattendant.  The call to your mobile is of course not free, but will be less than making an outbound call.  IMO, good choices for a VoIP service for the callback leg include GV (simplest, $0.15/min.), Anveo (high quality, $0.091), CallWithUs (decent, $0.0695) and Voxbeam (good but entails some hassle, $0.0579)

itisus

Thanks so much for the help.  I woudl have to pay 3 euros a month for caller ID so would like to try the first option you mentioned with the autoattendant answering all calls, maybe after 4-5 rings.  Can you please tell me how to set that up?

Stewart

Try setting Physical Interfaces -> Line Port -> InboundCallRoute to {ph,aa}
and Voice Services -> Auto Attendant -> AnswerDelay to 20000

The 20000 is in milliseconds and means that the AA will answer after 20 seconds of ringing; adjust that as desired.