News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 Firmware Update to add Support for G.722 HD Wideband Codec

Started by howardf, May 10, 2012, 12:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howardf

Dear Support,

Can the OBi202 be updated, via firmware or some other means, to add support for the G.722 HD Wideband Codec?

G.722 HD Wideband Codec support might enhance the call clarity of the OBi202.  While call clarity is already fantastic, even the best can be made to perform even better!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this matter.

Yours truly,

Howard Finkelstein

Shameless

This is a very good idea, we need this! Since the sample rate of the 722 codec is exactly twice that of the 711 codec, it should be possible to write conversion algorithms between the two.

Jsureal

Needs to be possible without using provisioning features.  Tie license to Obi# ?  As Obi# is likely FAR more portable than Obi device mac address or serial.

traal

+1. There are non-IP telephones that support wideband audio, such as this one.

Shale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.722 says
QuoteG.722 patents have expired, so it is freely available.[citation needed]

Webslinger

+1

What is the reasoning why G.722 hasn't been added to OBi202 yet?

It's supported in other Obi devices and handsets.

Usetheforceobiwan

It's been stated elsewhere (where exactly I don't recall) but paraphrasing,  G.722 is a waste of time on an ATA or any other device which is designed primarily to be connected to analog POTS phones.  Very few (if any) POTS phones have HD capability and if they do, it's more by accident than by design.  With this in mind, the likelihood you would hear the difference between G711u and G722 on even a good sounding POTS phone is very remote. 

If you want an Obi device with HD sound, you should be prepared to settle on one of the Obihai IP phones. Beyond that, I think it's better to focus your attention on features more useful like a working IOS or Android client or increased WEBRTC functionality.   

Webslinger

Quote from: Usetheforceobiwan on December 29, 2014, 05:32:11 PM
It's been stated elsewhere (where exactly I don't recall) but paraphrasing,  G.722 is a waste of time on an ATA or any other device which is designed primarily to be connected to analog POTS phones.

I appreciate your response.

However, you can connect pretty much any phone you want to an ATA device, and that doesn't really explain why G.772 is available on the 5vs series: http://www.obihai.com/partner/obi5

QuoteWith this in mind, the likelihood you would hear the difference between G711u and G722 on even a good sounding POTS phone is very remote.  

In my experience, the difference is pretty obvious just using a Panasonic cordless DECT 6.0 phone. It seems to me you would have to have serious hearing issues in order not to tell the difference.

I'm certainly aware of the frequency range cutoff on G.711, but that doesn't mean all phone mics and earpieces limit frequencies to those ranges.

QuoteIf you want an Obi device with HD sound, you should be prepared to settle on one of the Obihai IP phones.

I'm not sure why we should have to settle for anything, especially considering the codec is now available in both the 5vs and 1000 handset series. Is there some expensive licensing issue I'm unaware of?

QuoteBeyond that, I think it's better to focus your attention on features more useful like a working IOS or Android client  

I respectfully disagree here. I can get access to everything I want using SIP apps anyway. But I don't really perceive this as an either/or issue. I don't believe these should be mutually exclusive; that is, fixing OBiON shouldn't somehow make it impossible to support G.722. I doubt even resources would be split in order to accomplish one or the other.

SteveInWA

Webslinger:  I agree with UseTheForce's reply, with regard to the value of this feature.

You may have some marginal improvement when using a high-quality telephone plugged into the ATA, but you are discounting the fundamental issues:  the hardware and the PSTN limitation.  The PSTN as of now, isn't designed for wideband audio, and the G.711 PCM codec already covers the theoretical maximum audio range that can be transferred across the PSTN.  The majority of analog telephone handsets can't reproduce audio better than that, anyhow.  Unless you have end-to-end component support, it's like playing a HD, lossless audio recording through a 5 dollar set of earbuds, or listening to AM/FM radio over a $1000 headphone.

I'm not disagreeing that it would be nice to have, but it is largely useless at this time.  I assume Obihai will add it sooner than later, since they've already got it working on the other devices.  There just isn't much point to it with today's analog telephone handsets and PSTN network.   The industry is still bickering over which AMR-WB codec will win, and that's another reason to let the dust settle a bit.  There are some licensing issues that are being hammered out.

A great example of this is the OBi 1032 IP phone.  Unlike your DECT 6.0 phones, which can't possibly compare, given their audio compression and wireless connection, the OBi IP phone was engineered from scratch to include the electronics and speaker/microphone components necessary to support wideband.  I have the OBi phone, and I have a Panasonic DECT 6.0 phone, and the difference is astounding... there's no way a DECT phone can come anywhere close to that.  Connecting a DECT phone to an ATA like an OBi involves way too many analog<-->digital<-->analog<-->digital conversions, on top of the wireless connection's limited bandwidth.

Even the inter-operability between the various mobile phone carriers' implementation of HD Audio is going to take some time to work out (in the USA, I am talking about AT&T vs. Sprint vs. T-Mobile vs. Verizon).  They only recently agreed to cooperate on working on this.  In another example, Google Hangouts supports wideband audio, and eventually, the goal is for them to inter-operate with other carriers that support the same codecs, but it's going to take a lot of cooperation between the industry players.

Do you know of any SIP Internet Telephone Servivce Providers that support AMR-WB codecs at this time?  If so, the only way you would benefit would be if you had a WB phone on both ends and both parties were using the same SIP ITSP.

Webslinger

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 29, 2014, 10:06:52 PM

A great example of this is the OBi 1032 IP phone.  Unlike your DECT 6.0 phones, which can't possibly compare, given their audio compression and wireless connection, the OBi IP phone was engineered from scratch to include the electronics and speaker/microphone components necessary to support wideband.  I have the OBi phone, and I have a Panasonic DECT 6.0 phone, and the difference is astounding... there's no way a DECT phone can come anywhere close to that.  

Yes, I'm aware. I'm stating there's an audible difference despite using a DECT phone.

End-to-end G.722 calls are pretty nice. Thank you for your thoughts.

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: Webslinger on December 29, 2014, 09:30:52 PM
I respectfully disagree here. I can get access to everything I want using SIP apps anyway. But I don't really perceive this as an either/or issue. I don't believe these should be mutually exclusive; that is, fixing OBiON shouldn't somehow make it impossible to support G.722. I doubt even resources would be split in order to accomplish one or the other.

Don't get me wrong, at one point I was a G.722 evangelist and asked the same question as you.  But as I did more research on the subject and looked at the barriers industry wide to HD implementation I just had to realize that the way it it is is the way it's gonna be.  As you point out, you can get G.722 functionality by utilizing a SIP soft phone.  Obihai knows this.  For 99% of the Obihai users, G.722 is a waste.  Whether at some point Obihai chooses to add G.722 to their ATA's, well if they do it will be because it was easy to do and part of a system wide upgrade to the base firmware all Obi's use.  So don't hold your breath and like I said previous, hope for functionality improvements in other means that use your Obi as a midpoint.