News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Power light blinking, no IP

Started by 0biUser5959, May 12, 2012, 12:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0biUser5959

Hi,

My Obi has suddenly stopped working after just a couple of months. The power light stays constantly blinking. I tried reseting it using the button under the unit, but I get the same problem. I checked the cables to make sure they are all tight. I went to the admin interface for my router and it does not show an IP for the Obi. I get an IP on my laptop when I connect to the same ethernet port using the same ethernet cable connected to the Obi. Don't know what else I can try, do I have any other recourse?

Thanks!

jimates

Try one more thing before calling it dead.

Unplug the power
Hold the reset button with a paper clip
Reconnect the power, while holding the reset button.
Continue holding the reset button until the unit cycles. Could be up to 40 seconds.

0biUser5959

Thanks for the tip. Didn't work though :(

RonR

It's a long shot, but since you're out of things to try...

The following procedure will change the OBi Ethernet port from 10 mb/s half-duplex to 100 mb/s full-duplex:

1. Dial *** 0

2. Enter option 27 and press #

3. Press 1 to set a new value

4. Enter a value of 1 and press #

5. Press 1 to confirm/save

6. Hang up

7. Wait for the OBi to reboot

Songsw

I'm having the same problem! Very disappointed...
I tried the reset button, didn't work.
Can't try the dial thing, because there is no dial tone either.
I guess it is dead  :(

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: Songsw on May 30, 2012, 07:58:29 AM
I'm having the same problem! Very disappointed...
I tried the reset button, didn't work.
Can't try the dial thing, because there is no dial tone either.
I guess it is dead  :(

Be sure to e-mail support@obihai.com and see if they can help you diagnose the problem.  If it's still in warranty, they will probably send you a new one if they can't help you get yours working again.  Don't forget to include the 9 digit OBiTALK number from the bottom of the device when you e-mail them.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

VulcanTourist

I've now been having a vaguely similar problem for a week, except that at first the power LED was continuously lit red, not flashing.  Then the symptom morphed and now I randomly find the unit OFF, with no sign of life at all.  The cause doesn't appear to be the AC adapter as you might presume, since all I have to do to revive it is unplug the power from the Obi110 and plug it back in (not unplugging the AC adapter, which along with router and modem is plugged into a UPS, BTW).

Is there a command that can be sent to the Obi110 to fully power it off?  In other words, could this be caused by a spurious or deliberate packet sent to the Obi110?

OBiSupport

VulcanTourist,

Is your OBi still behaving like what you mentioned ?
power on,
power LED show solid RED,
then nothing, no light

PS: There is no way to power off the OBi when the power adapter is connected.
-Obi Support

VulcanTourist

Quote from: OBiSupport on June 29, 2012, 12:11:11 PM
VulcanTourist,

Is your OBi still behaving like what you mentioned ?
power on,
power LED show solid RED,
then nothing, no light

PS: There is no way to power off the OBi when the power adapter is connected.
-Obi Support

It hasn't done it again in several days, but I expect it will unless something changes.  It's only happened maybe four times total between both symptoms.  It's not persistent, so when I cycle the power it behaves fine for a while.  I haven't tried another factory reset, partly because I'm wondering if the last one so recently might be responsible and because I'd have to back up the settings again and save off the call history.  If it's the AC adapter, I have to say I've never seen one fail non-permanently at random like this.

jjtricket

Did you folks ever figure out the blinking red power light issue?

Looks like my obi202 is doing the same thing, blinking red power light and cannot reset. Have tried everything and wondering if its dead?

Called and emailed obi, no response yet.

If you have some insight, please chime in!

VulcanTourist

Quote from: jjtricket on August 29, 2012, 09:07:45 AM
Did you folks ever figure out the blinking red power light issue?

Looks like my obi202 is doing the same thing, blinking red power light and cannot reset. Have tried everything and wondering if its dead?

Called and emailed obi, no response yet.

If you have some insight, please chime in!

Nope, no more insight... just different problems.  I retired the Obi110 out of frustration and replaced it with an Obi202.  Not only was the quality of calls reduced, six times now the router part of it has simply shut down, frozen, and stopped ALL my Internet traffic dead, including calls through the Obi202 itself (no dial tone, no response to * commands).  Oh but surely it must be my fault because I'm sending it evil packets and making it gasp in horror.  /sarcasm

jjtricket

Just heard back from obi support, they recommended to swap out the power supply and sure enough that was the problem!

If your power light is blinking and you tried reset to no avail, try a different power supply!

BTW, they are sending me a new power supply.

VT, sounds like you might have other issues, hopefully members here can help you. You might want to start your own thread, good luck!

Thanks obi for the great support...............

QBZappy

I had the same problem with my OBi202. I tried everything to revive it. I finally was able to revived it with the help of OBi support. What is not obvious is that you have to hold the reset pin down for a very long time. The best way to do this is to look at the OBi until the power LED light flashes green fast.

How to properly factory reset:
1) With paper clip in hand unplug OBi, insert paperclip, then insert power plug. Power LED should be red before inserting the paperclip.
2) OBi power LED should eventually flash green slow, then after some time flash green fast. If you keep pressing the paperclip it should eventually go to red. While it is flashing green fast, you can release the paperclip. It is not obvious when to release the paperclip. It is better to follow the visual cue of the unit rather than relying on a preset number of seconds to release the paperclip. Most users will loose patience or assume that they have pressed it with sufficient time. In my case it was close to 60 seconds before it was flashing green fast.

The OBi202 is not as stable as the previous units, or it takes much longer before the unit becomes stable after configuration changes. I suppose because it has more features, more things can mess up the unit if we make many changes. I have abused the OBi100/110 and never had a problem. I am not keen on making too many tests on the OBi202 at this point. I have had to factory reset it several times.

REPLY:
In this case, please try to do factory-reset when you power cycle the device by pressing the reset pin as soon as the POWER LED turns to red. Noted that the reset pin needs to be pressed for about 40-50 seconds (or until LED starts to blink in green rapidly).

-Obihai Support.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jimates

I had trouble with my Obi once. I thought for sure I had bricked it. I had to resort to this method.

Unplug the power
insert paper clip to depress the button
reapply power to the device (continue holding reset)
continue to hold reset for very long time until device reboots

jjtricket

Tried every possible way to reset, no go. Never even thought it could be the power supply.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up since I thought my entire box was shot!

aharond

Power supply replacement worked for me, I tried a power brick from my old Vonage box and my OBi came back to life.  I emailed OBi support and they are sending me a replacement power brick.

Thanks for the help everyone, I've been trying to figure this out for 2-3 months.  I was going to order a new OBi device from Amazon as a last resort.

jjtricket

Great news!

Looks like the power supply might be a common issue, also noticed many are having line noise, humming issues as well.

Many THANKS to Obi support for the prompt shipment of my new power adapter!

GregoryZ

Quote from: jjtricket on August 31, 2012, 05:53:26 PM

Many THANKS to Obi support for the prompt shipment of my new power adapter!

I like seeing Posts like this!

Even though we see a lack of Written Support, both in Documentation of Upgrades, and most Forum Support, I do see that when a Ticket is submitted, that there is Good Customer Service in the end.

Just my Two Cents worth.

-G

Edit:  Here is yet another example:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3862.msg26533#msg26533
OBi100, OBi110, OBi200, OBi202

GregSimon

Quote from: 0biUser5959 on May 12, 2012, 12:28:21 PM
Hi,

My Obi has suddenly stopped working after just a couple of months. The power light stays constantly blinking. I tried reseting it using the button under the unit, but I get the same problem. I checked the led lighting to make sure they are all tight. I went to the admin interface for my router and it does not show an IP for the Obi. I get an IP on my laptop when I connect to the same ethernet port using the same ethernet cable connected to the Obi. Don't know what else I can try, do I have any other recourse?

Thanks!

hello were you able to sort out the problem? I am facing similar issue with my power light.. Can you tell the reason behind it.. Please reply

jeffAustin

I have an obi 100 which has always and still works great. Just upgraded to an obi202 and it worked up until I tried to configure the anveo 911 support.  Then the power led starting flashing green to red, and the dial tone was no longer available. I swapped the power supply with the 0bi100, the 100 still works, the 202 is still flashing. I do see an IP addr on my router for the 202. I have tried the factory reset several times to no avail.  Any ideas left? I see lots of complaints about the 202 and this problem. Should I just return it and stick with the old reliable 100, I was hoping to get fax service, but with the amount of time I have into it not sure it is worth it.