News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Possible to use Fongo, Voip.ms, and Googlevoice on a single line with OBi202?

Started by Webslinger, May 13, 2012, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Webslinger

Hi,

I'm currently using a Linksys/Cisco SPA3102 but am interested in buying an OBi202 (both for the DISA/voice attendant and google voice features). And I'm currently using Fongo (for all inbound calling and outbound calling to free calling areas) and voip.ms for outbound calling to areas not covered for free by Fongo. That is, I'm using voip.ms for termination only (long distance calls . . . not inbound at all). And I'm doing this all on a single VOIP line.

So, voip.ms on the SPA3102 is setup as a gateway account on Line 1, where Line 1 is setup Fongo (both inbound and outbound proxy).

(911S0|[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|011[2-9]xx.<:@gw1>|<#1,:>xx.<:@gw1>.|<:18002464>411S0|*xx)

So that dialplan lets you

- dialout normally using Fongo
- allows for 911 (via Fongo)
- press #1 or 011 for voip.ms long distance calling
- dial 411 to get Bing 411 (dies June 1st)

So, I have some questions:

1) Can I setup something similar with the OBi202 (for the above situation) on the same line?

2) Is it possible to add Google Voice to this setup on the same line with the OBi202?
That is,

a) have all inbound calling come through via Fongo,
b) have outbound calling to free Canadian cities via Fongo,
c) have U.S. outbound calling go through Google Voice (access this by dialing some keys like "1" or something), and  
d) have international outbound calling go through voip.ms (by dialing "011" or some other trigger)

3) My understanding is that the OBi202 has a DISA feature or voice attendant, where
I could, for example, dial into the OBi202 using my smartphone and get access to outbound calling via
my Fongo, voip.ms, or google voice accounts. I can already do this using a sip program on my smartphone,
but I would prefer not to use up my data plan. So if I can call into an OBi202 and get access to
those my outbound voip services that would be great.

a) Is what I wrote possible?

b) How does it work? I'm wondering if I call my home phone voip number and someone is at home can that person still pick up the line and talk to me--or do I get the voice attendant immediately? And what happens to voice mail (do people calling in never get the voice mail prompt when DISA/voice attendant is active)?

Thanks in advance for help you can provide.

RonR

The answer to all of your questions is : Yes

From your smartphone, you can place outgoing calls just as would from the OBi PHONE Port, without the need for the Auto Attendant.

Incoming calls to the OBi can simultaneously ring the OBi PHONE Port and your smartphone.

When using the Auto Attendant, the caller is presented with three options:

Press 1 to continue this call (ring the OBi PHONE Port)

Press 2 to make a new call (using any of the OBi's resources)

Press 3 to enter a callback number (the OBi will hang up and call back the entered number)

The Auto Attendant can also be configured to make a callback to the calling number without actually answering the incoming call.

Webslinger

Quote from: RonR on May 13, 2012, 10:28:50 AM
The answer to all of your questions is : Yes

Thank you very much

Just to clarify, I can do all this on a single telephone line, correct?

I imagine I'm in for a learning curve to set this up.

In my example, would voip.ms and googletalk be setup as gateway accounts? How would I go about doing this in the OBi202?

QuoteFrom your smartphone, you can place outgoing calls just as would from the OBi PHONE Port, without the need for the Auto Attendant.

Without using your smartphone's data plan?

QuotePress 2 to make a new call (using any of the OBi's resources)

Nice

RonR

Quote from: Webslinger on May 13, 2012, 11:04:57 AM
Just to clarify, I can do all this on a single voip line, correct?

You would obviously need to have muliple channel support from your VoIP service provider in order to handle more than one incoming and/or outgoing call at a time.  The OBi is capable of four simultaneous call bridges.

I imagine I'm in for a learning curve to set this up.

It will require manual configuration that the OBiTALK Web Portal is not capable of auto generating.

In my example, would voip.ms and googletalk be setup as gateway accounts? How would I go about doing this in the OBi202?

There are four SIP/Google Voice service channels in an OBi202 as well as eight Voice Gateways.

It's a little early to be discussing actual configuration.

Without using your smartphone's data plan?

You smartphone's data plan will be used unless you have alternate wifi Internet access.

Webslinger

Quote from: RonR
You would obviously need to have muliple channel support from your VoIP service provider in order to handle more than one incoming and/or outgoing call at a time.  The OBi is capable of four simultaneous call bridges.

I'm not trying to handle more than one incoming or outgoing call at the same time.

As I indicated originally, I want to pick up my phone and

a) have all incoming calls come through Fongo,
b) have all normal outgoing calling going through Fongo,
c) Press "011" for an outgoing call through voip.ms, and
d) press "1" or something else for a call going through Google Voice

And I want to be able to do this on a single telephone line. In this setup, voip.ms and google voice are used for outgoing calls (termination) only.

I can currently do points a through c using an SPA3102 very easily on a single voip line, since the SPA3102 lets me put voip.ms as a gateway (gateway 1, in my dialplan example). Gateways that can be specified to be used in the <Dial Plan> to facilitate call routing specification (that overrides the given proxy information). This gateway is represented by gw1 in the <Dial Plan>. For example, the rule 011[2-9]xx.<:@gw1>|<#1,:>xx.<:@gw1> can be added to the dial plan such that when the user dials "011" or "#1", the call will be routed to Gateway 1. Without the <:@gw1> syntax, all calls are routed to the given proxy by default. Gateway accounts can only be used for outgoing calls and can't be used for incoming calls or with SIP providers that require registration with the SPA3102.

Fongo is setup on Line 1, and Voip.ms is setup as gateway 1 (termination/outgoing calls only) currently on my SPA3102.

QuoteIt's a little early to be discussing actual configuration.

Well, considering I've just ordered an OBi202, any configuration information you can provide me would be appreciated.

You smartphone's data plan will be used unless you have alternate wifi Internet access.

As I stated in my original post "I can already do this using a sip program on my smartphone,
but I would prefer not to use up my data plan."

So I want to be able to get cheap long distance access via the OBi202 without using my data plan (and not using wifi). And I want people to be able to call my Fongo voip phone number without getting the voice attendant (if possible) and still being able to leave voice mail.

If, as you seem to indicate, I can do all this, I will be pretty happy. Thank you

RonR

Quote from: Webslinger on May 13, 2012, 12:15:44 PM
And I want to be able to do this on a single voip line. In this setup, voip.ms and google voice are used for outgoing calls (termination) only.

Apparently by a single VoIP line, you mean a single telephone set connected to the OBi.  The answer is yes.

Well, considering I've just ordered an OBi202, any configuration information you can provide me would be appreciated.

After I cut the grass, I'll see if I can come up with a starting point for you.

So I want to be able to get cheap long distance access via the OBi202 without using my data plan (and not using wifi). And I want people to be able to call my Fongo voip phone number without getting the voice attendant (if possible) and still being able to leave voice mail.

To be able to make and receive calls through the OBi using your smartphone, your smartphone must communicate somehow with the OBi.  That can be wifi, your data plan, or calling into the OBi using your minutes plan.

The OBi is not involved in any way with voicemail.

Webslinger

Quote from: RonR

Apparently by a single VoIP line, you mean a single telephone set connected to the OBi.  The answer is yes.

Yes, sorry. I mean to say a single telephone line.

After I cut the grass, I'll see if I can come up with a starting point for you.

There's no rush, but thank you. I probably won't receive the OBi202 until late next week.

QuoteTo be able to make and receive calls through the OBi using your smartphone, your smartphone must communicate somehow with the OBi.  That can be wifi, your data plan

Yeah, I am not terribly interested in those options since I can access my Fongo and voip.ms accounts via a sip program on my smartphone anyway.

Quoteor calling into the OBi using your minutes plan.

This is what I am interested in.

QuoteThe OBi is not involved in any way with voicemail.

I understand the ATA device does not provide the voicemail service. But presumably I have to dial in
using the same phone number I have voice mail service setup on. So how do people (family, friends, etc.) call my Fongo voip phone number without getting the voice attendant--and still have the opportunity to leave voice mail without the voice attendant picking up or activating? Is it possible to trigger the voice attendant through specific incoming phone numbers only? Or is there another solution?