News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SIP registration problem? Disable SIP ALG in your router config.

Started by OBiSupport, November 19, 2010, 02:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OBiSupport

If you have any problems with SIP registration, not being able to receive a call or one-way audio, try to disable the SIP ALG (Application Level Gateway) feature in your router's configuration settings.

The SIP ALG feature available with may off-the-shelf routers is oftentimes not able to translate signaling messages properly such that users may experience registration problems and/or issues with one-way audio.

In these cases, when troubleshooting, it is best to go to your router's configuration and disable SIP ALG.

This wiki article mentions that SIP-ALG functions added in many routers are not properly implemented, hence it is better disable.  www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Routers+SIP+ALG

Obihai Support

OBi-Guru

SIP registration problem due to broken ALG on D-Link router Model Dir-655,   Hardware Version: B1

There are two firmwares available:

1/ Latest:   2.01 NA, released in Feb 2011, SIP ALG added
    -- By default, SIP ALG is disabled -- and this mode for some reason BLOCKS the SIP packets from going thru
    -- And you must ENABLE SIP ALG to allow SIP packets to pass

2/ Shipping version: 2.00 NA, released in Sep 2010.
    -- By default, there is no SIP ALG function, and works well with SIP

texasguy

I have DLink DIR-655 Hardware version: A2, Firmware: 1.34NA, SPI enabled in Advanced tab, Firewall Settings. Everything works OK so far.

VirtualMonitoring

SIP ALG's and the like do not just affect Obi devices. Here is a list of routers that we have found do not work correctly with Linksys devices:

D-link DI-624M
D-link DIR655
D-link DIR 615
Linksys WRT-54G 1.0.03

SkOrPn

Quote from: texasguy on April 12, 2011, 07:42:17 AM
I have DLink DIR-655 Hardware version: A2, Firmware: 1.34NA, SPI enabled in Advanced tab, Firewall Settings. Everything works OK so far.
They were not talking about SPI Firewall settings, they were speaking of SIP Application Layer Gateway a.k.a SIP ALG.

Quote from: VirtualMonitoring on May 09, 2011, 07:15:45 AM
SIP ALG's and the like do not just affect Obi devices. Here is a list of routers that we have found do not work correctly with Linksys devices:

D-link DI-624M
D-link DIR655
D-link DIR 615
Linksys WRT-54G 1.0.03
Exactly what Linksys devices are you speaking of? I have a DIR-655 and it works just fine with my Linksys modem. And seems to work ok with my Motorola SB6120 also. You talking perhaps about Linksys/Cisco PAP2/PAP2T devices, or the like?

EDIT: I just noticed that the D-Link DIR-655 is on the OBi recommended router list below. That's VERY good news to my eyes/ears, lol....

http://www.obihai.com/recommended.html

R_Chandra

I was wondering what people (who are using it as a router of course) thought of the SIP connection tracking module for the Linux kernel.  I was going to set that up on my Ubuntu 10.04 (LTS) system I'm preparing to be my next router, but I won't bother if the people here think that's going to interfere.  I've looked at the source for it, and it SEEMED to be reasonable, but maybe there was something I know nothing about which causes grief for OBi firmware.

buhuo

Quote from: OBiSupport on November 19, 2010, 02:55:33 PM
If you have any problems with SIP registration, not being able to receive a call or one-way audio, try to disable the SIP ALG (Application Level Gateway) feature in your router's configuration settings.

The SIP ALG feature available with may off-the-shelf routers is oftentimes not able to translate signaling messages properly such that users may experience registration problems and/or issues with one-way audio.

In these cases, when troubleshooting, it is best to go to your router's configuration and disable SIP ALG.

This wiki article mentions that SIP-ALG functions added in many routers are not properly implemented, hence it is better disable.  www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Routers+SIP+ALG

Obihai Support

My router is Dlink DVA-G3810BN/TL. There is no item to disable SIP ALG. I have read dlink DVA-G3810BN manual, it can disable SIP ALG. Who knows how to do it?

BrokenArts

Hello everyone!

Many thanks for this thread. I just finished setting up the Obi110 for Google Voice and InTalk. Google Voice worked fine, but InTalk did not, so this thread pointed me in the right direction. Disabling SIP ALG on the Netgear WGR614 v7 fixed it right up.

Overall the Obi110 setup was pretty simple, and is working great!

Bob5678

Just FYI, and thanks to this forum for all of the help! :)

The latest firmware for the D-Link DIR-655 router is 2.07NA , 14, Jan, 2012.  Using this release I was able to register the OBi110 with no difficulty with SIP enabled.  These were also the default settings for the Firewall with this release of firmware.

D-Link DIR-655 router
Hardware Version: B1      Firmware Version: 2.07NA

My Firewall Settings are:

Enable SPI: Enabled    
UDP Endpoint Filtering: Address Restricted
TCP Endpoint Filtering: Port And Address Restricted
Anti-Spoof checking: Disabled
DMZ Host: Not used
Application Level Gateway (ALG) Configuration
PPTP: Enabled   
IPSec (VPN): Enabled
RTSP: Enabled
SIP: Enabled  

zhanzhangphd

Hi,
I just got a OBI 100 and my 2WIRE Router does not let me register.
Any expert can help me with disabling the SIP?

Thanks in advance

Felix

Quote from: zhanzhangphd on July 06, 2012, 09:46:13 AM
Hi,

Thanks in advance
Hi, zhanzhangphd and welcome to this forum
You may want to start a topic (probably in the "new user" forum), rather than hijack a sticky with unrelated question. You will probably benefit from Googling a little; at least until you understand that "disabling the SIP" on a VoIP adapter is like "disabling the engine" on the car. An expert can probably do it; but you may not like the results!  ;)

lacibaci

For ZyXEL ZyWALL USG series firewalls (firmware 3.0 and later) you have turn SIP ALG on.  By default, it is off and you will not be able to receive calls.  No other change was necessary for me.

Hyrules

For the Asus RT-N56U there is only one way of disable the SIP ALG function with the latest firmware.

Activate the telnet function of the router and do it by hand.

nvram set nf_sip=0
nvram commit
reboot

That's it the SIP ALG should be disable.

This should solve alot of head ache. Not only sip registration.

Lucycan

Latest firmware for the DIR-655 is 2.10 NA

I have disabled SIP but still unable to connect to the Anveo e911.

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Sampratt

According to me you are getting this problem because SIP ALG or resource manager. I would like to recommend you to upgrade the firmware. Otherwise look for a professional help to know the root cause and Debug it.

Jimbob

Starting roughly on 9 May 2013, I was having trouble sometimes (Mostly calls from T-Mobile cell phones).  Our home phone would ring, but would not pick up (they would still hear ringing), or it would pick up, but we could not hear the caller. Sometimes it would go to voicemail/

I had to ENABLE SIP ALG on my Linksys DIR-655 (HW: B1, FW: 2.10NA) under "Advanced", then "Firewall Settings".

Then everything started working again!

Callcentric noted that this may be related to the Colorado DID provider, not T-Mobile specifically, as they have had similar reports.

My experience, YMMV, "The opinions expressed herein are not my own", etc.

[UPDATE:] Perhaps the fix was just the reboot of the router that was required for the SIP ALG change.  It seems to work intermittently, regardless of the SIP ALG setting.

Jackson

Quote from: zhanzhangphd on July 06, 2012, 09:46:13 AM
Hi,

Thanks in advance

Maybe?

2Wire 3800

I have UVerse from AT&T and my VoIP calls were horrible until I realized that I had this device. I found the instructions found at the Verizon on-line support site to be quite simple and accurate. The Verizon site has actual screen shots. For those of you who don't need a picutre, these are the steps:
Open browser, point to router's IP address followed by /mdc
e.g. http://192.168.1.254/mdc
Enter password and click submit (or press Enter)
Click on Configure Services link on left navigation bar under Advanced
Uncheck the Enable box under SIP Application Layer Gateway
Click submit
Enjoy unfettered VoIP calls!

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/ALG

SIMPLE_desires

Some users of Verizon FIOS have coax/ethernet routers wherein on CANNOT disable SIP ALG

What then is suggested when one cannot swap out routers?

(Yes, I would suggest splitting TV/guide to coax and internet over ethernet,  but not everyone is willing to do that)

derekpittx

Quote from: OBi-Guru on April 08, 2011, 02:10:02 PM
SIP registration problem due to broken ALG on D-Link router Model Dir-655,   Hardware Version: B1

1/ Latest:   2.01 NA, released in Feb 2011, SIP ALG added
   -- By default, SIP ALG is disabled -- and this mode for some reason BLOCKS the SIP packets from going thru

I also have this problem, if someone has a solution, please tell me get-9apps.com get-cartoonhd.com

leaschaden

Quote from: derekpittx on February 17, 2020, 10:40:56 PM
Quote from: OBi-Guru on April 08, 2011, 02:10:02 PM
SIP registration problem due to broken ALG on D-Link router Model Dir-655,   Hardware Version: B1

1/ Latest:   2.01 NA, released in Feb 2011, SIP ALG added

I also have this problem, if someone has a solution, please tell me  hill climb racing
Go to Advanced > QoS Engine. This will bring up your QoS settings (bandwidth management).
Click the box next to Enable Traffic Shaping to enable WAN Traffic Shaping.
Set the Manual Uplink Speed to an appropriate value based on your Internet connection. Note: Automatic Uplink Speed is disabled in 8x8's QoS configuration as the feature adds some additional delay in the boot up time of the router.
Check the box next to Enable QoS Engine in the QoS Engine Setup portion of the screen.
hope this can help you!