News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Landline and google voice combo

Started by spillins, March 13, 2011, 09:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spillins

My current setup is "Surewest" landline" connected to line, and google voice setup as primary.  Everything works fine calling out, but when people are calling the landline number, I see the caller ID, but no ring on the phones.  The person will hear 3 or 4 rings on their end, before it finally rings on my end.  If they call the google number it rings right way, the way it suppose too.  Is there anything I'm missing that is causing the landline to have 3 to 4 ring delay, by the time it rings on my end, the caller hangs up.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

RonR

The ringing sound a caller hears typically has no relationship whatsoever to the phone actually ringing at the distant end.  The caller is immediately given a ringing sound to inform him the call is in progress, but that's about all it means.  On the receiving end, the ringing is generated separately without regard to what the caller might be hearing.

Since CallerID is transmitted over the phone line between the first and second rings, the OBi does not start ringing your phone until the second ring is received.  It needs to receive and analyze the CallerID in case it's supposed to do special handling on that caller instead of putting the call right through to your phone.  You may have rules in place to forward that caller or all callers to another number or to your Auto Attendant, for example.

spillins

Thanks for the suggestions Ron, I have no rules setup on the Obi for any callers.  It's just strange that no matter who calls the landline number there is such a long lag in ringing, whereas the google call coming in is almost instantly (ringing).  The only option if I can't resolve this would be to get a two line phone, so the landline go to line 2 while calling out is done on line 1 which would be the google call out.  Any additional suggestions would be be appreciated, before this change, I had Omma working in this similar setup, and landline would ring normal.

jimates

You didn't mention verifying that it acted differently before you put the Obi in the system.

Your provider may delay the call just like the Obi does. Combining the two creates an extended delay in delivery.
i see it all the time when calling cell phones, many times there are several rings heard. before the calling phone starts to ring.

reconnect your phone to the landline and have someone call, you will probably see at least a one ring delay.
if your provider delivers it to the Obi on the second ring and then Obi holds it for one ring, that equals 3 rings.

You should also notice that when a GV call is delivered the phone rings once, then the caller id comes up, then it rings the second time.

Quote from: RonR on March 13, 2011, 11:16:30 AM
You may have rules in place to forward that caller or all callers to another number or to your Auto Attendant, for example.
Quote from: spillins on March 13, 2011, 01:21:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Ron, I have no rules setup on the Obi for any callers.
RonR was just giving extra info as to why the Obi delivers the call the way it does, he wasn't implying
any calling rules were in place.

RonR

spillins,

As I explained, due to the way the phone company sends CallerID between the first and second ring, the OBi has no choice but to wait for the second ring in order to capture and analyze it.  Plus you need to keep in mind that it's the OBi that provides the ring voltage to your phone, not the phone company.  The OBi doesn't want to ring your phone until it's absolutely sure it needs to.

Google Voice and VoIP are different.  They send the CallerID information across the Internet with the request to establish a call, so there's no delay and no waiting necessary.  The CallerID is available and can be analyzed instantly.  The reason CallerID doesn't come up on your phone until the second ring (even though the OBi knew it from the start) is that the OBi has to send it to the phone between the first and second ring since that's how the phone is designed to receive it.

azrobert

Try reducing the Line port RingDelay.  This parm is the time delay the Obi waits for the CID to arrive.  The default is 4000.  Mine works with 2100.  Your carrier will be different than mine. If you reduce it too much the CID will not display.

obi-support2

Hi spillins,

As pointed out by RonR, the delay is purposely added to allow OBi to decode the complete caller-ID. In the US, unfortunately, caller-id is delivered after 1st ring (while in some other countries, caller-id is delivered prior to the 1st ring which will eliminate this delay).

If you do not care about caller-id directed call routing on the PSTN Line (i.e., let it ring the phone no matter who's calling), you can simply set the RingDelay parameter (as suggested by azrobert here) to 0. Then the delay would be shortened to below 1s. Furthermore, you can also lower these 2 parameters under Physical Interface/Line Port/RingValidationTime and RingIndicationDelayTime to say 200 and 256 ms respectively. Then your resulting delay would be less than 0.5s. This is probably the best it can do. The additional delay is because the ring voltage from the phone company is not passed through to the phone; but instead is relayed to the phone by the OBi (which means OBi needs to detect the ring reliably first..)

One problem to the last trick is that caller-id cannot be shown on your phone w/ the current f/w, since OBi has not decoded it yet when it starts ringing the phone. The good news is, in the upcoming 1.2 release, we have improved our implementation by allowing the device to pipeline the caller-id signal as soon as it is decoded to the phone when it is already ringing. That way your caller-id can still be shown even if RingDelay is 0 (but you still cannot do caller-id directed call routing). So please stay tuned if you do want to try out this new feature.

OBIHAI Support Staff