News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

ATA as a 2nd OBi phone port

Started by azrobert, May 20, 2012, 11:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azrobert

I would like to share my setup with the forum.
I'm using an ATA as an almost full function 2nd OBI phone port.

First, I want to give credit to hwittenb with this post on Dslreports:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27101955-Using-one-ATA-as-proxy-of-another-one

Second, I apologize if this was covered by another post.  I could not find anything.

My hardware:
OBi110 and a Grandstream ATA on the same network.

OBi110 config:
sp1 = GV
sp2 = sip provider
sp2 X_InboundCallRoute = {(My_ID)>(1?xxxxxxxxxx):sp1},{(My_ID)>:sp2},{ph}

ATA config:
Server = 192.168.1.xxx:5061 (IP addr of OBi)
User ID = My_ID
Register = no

Any 10 or 11 digit call on the ATA will be routed to GV. All other calls will be routed to the sp2 provider.
GV supports 2 concurrent outbound calls, so you can have calls on the OBi and ATA at the same time.
The OBI is acting as a proxy server to the ATA.
Inbound calls to the OBi can be routed to the ATA's IP address.

mrjoe

I don't understand what you are accomplishing with this.

Why don't you just use a Splitter?

QBZappy

mrjoe,

Quote from: azrobert on May 20, 2012, 11:38:13 AM
GV supports 2 concurrent outbound calls, so you can have calls on the OBi and ATA at the same time.

You can not make/receive multiple calls with a splitter. With the splitter you are limited to one call. Connected via splitter you can share the call with the other phone (party line/conference).
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

rob613

I've tried to replicate this capability using a softphone.
I don't understand what else might have to be configured on the Obi so that the "my-id" field can be used, and also where the 5061 listener port gets configured.
Any suggestions?

azrobert

I got the X-Lite SoftPhone working with the following config.

OBi110 config:
sp1 = GV
sp2 = sip provider
sp2 X_InboundCallRoute = {(robert)>(1?xxxxxxxxxx):sp1},{(robert)>:sp2},{ph}

X-Lite config:
UserID = robert
Domain = 192.168.1.xxx:5061 (IP addr of OBi)
Register with Domain = not checked
Send Output Via = Domain checked

In my previous example My_ID is any name you want to pick.
The ATA/SoftPhone will send the UserID as the CID.
That is what I'm checking for in the X_InboundCallRoute.

5061 is the default port on the OBi SP2.
If you defined SP1 as your SIP provider then use 5060 and modify your sp1 X_InboundCallRoute.

I haven't tested it, but this setup should work with the ATA/SoftPhone outside your home network.
You would have to setup port forwarding in your router.

Beware, there is absolutely no security with this setup!

QBZappy

azrobert,

Does CID pass to the softphone or ATA? I have never explored using the gateways. Gateways are for outbound only I think. Is that right?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

azrobert

QBZappy,

In my above examples, the call is going out sp1 or sp2.  You could also route the call to a Gateway.
Yes, gateways are for outbound only.

I don't understand your question on CID.
The call is going from a SoftPhone or ATA to the OBi.
I'm far from being an expert at this stuff. 
I know enough to be dangerous, so I'm not sure you can technically call it CID.
Below is a screen shot of the OBi call history of a call using this method.
The Peer Number is "robert" which is what I defined as UserID in the X-Lite softphone.
Peer Number is CID on an inbound call.
This is an inbound call to the OBi and it is re-routed out SP1.

Has anybody successfully tried this method?

(I can't cut and paste the screen shot using the Snipping Tool, so you'll have to believe me)

QBZappy

azrobert,

Since it is only for outgoing calls, my incoming CID question is not relevant. Thanks.

azrobert

QBZappy,

For inbound calls to your ATA you have to add another X_InboundCallRoute.
For example add {(1480xxxxxxx):sp2(robert@192.168.1.xxx:5060)} to sp1 X_InboundCallRoute.
Where 192.168.1.xxx is the IP address of your ATA.
All inbound calls on sp1 with CID in area code 480 will be routed to the ATA.
I could not get it to pass the CID to the ATA.

QBZappy

azrobert,

I was thinking about OBiAPP vs this approach to make and receive calls. What would be the pros and cons of using either approach. When the OBi unit receives a call and then forks the call to the combination of OBiAPP+SIP client, the CID will pass. I think this is may be the only reason to use the OBiAPP since it seems that we can accomplish it the other way. I am missing something?

rob613

Thank you for the clarification - I have replicated this using x-lite.
I also have verified that two simultaneous outbound calls can be made through the GV configuration, one from the local phone port and the other through this softphone.

lhm.

As ObiTalk is down at this time, this setup would by by-pass Obitalk. Has anyone been able pass CID on the inbound to the ATA?

Stewart

If you enable X_SpoofCallerID for the profile in question (and that doesn't interfere with any other uses of the SPx), caller ID should pass to the other ATA.