News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SP2 (GV) going to Answering Machine, not Google Voicemail

Started by ADHawkTech, May 21, 2012, 10:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADHawkTech

I have 2 GV accounts configured for use with my Obi110.  SP1 (my GV) goes to Google voicemail as expected when no one picks up.  However, the GV number assigned as SP2 on the Obi goes to the digital answering system on the corded handset in my home, instead of going to my wife's GV voicemail.  So far I have:

1) checked and re-checked configurations
2) set the home phone to pick up only after 8 rings (the maximum)
3) set GV to announce callers
4) Made the obligatory 1st call directly from Gmail

Yet somehow the home answering machine (which is set not to take messages) still picks up.  Any ideas?

pc44

Hi ADHawkTech,

Have you tried disabling the Google Announce Caller option, just to see if it makes a difference?

Also, when your home answering machine picks up, does it in fact pick up on the 8th ring?  Or, is it picking up sooner, even though you have it set for the 8th?

Just wondering :)
pc44

jimates

Many people wish they had this "problem". Of course we would call it a much wanted feature.

If the call comes through google voice it should only ring for 25 seconds before voicemail picks up, no exceptions.

Make a test call to her google voice number.
- check the history in her google voice account to make sure the calls are coming in.
- check the call history in your Obi to make sure the calls are coming in on SP2, and where it says they are coming from.

ADHawkTech

Thanks for your reply pc44.  In answer to your question, I tried the Obi with GV caller announcements turned off as well as with them turned on, both with the same result - GVoicemail fails to pick up.  The home answering system does indeed pick up after 8 rings (longer than 30 seconds).

At the request of Obi support, I have also called the GV number with the Obi disconnected.  In that case the call goes to GVoicemail as expected.

The strange thing is that I have a very similar setup for my GV number as SP1 on the Obi and that line goes to GVoicemail reliably.  The only difference between the two SPs is that my GV number has 2 additional forwarding numbers.  However, both of the additional numbers are not set as active for forwarding.  So, there seems to be no material difference between the two setups.

jimates: Thanks for your input.  I checked both the GV and Obi calls logs and everything matches up as it should.  Plus the call rings for 28 seconds before it is answered (by the home answering machine).  Thanks for any other pointers anyone may have.

MichiganTelephone

ADHawkTech, we beg of you, if you ever figure out what is causing this behavior, please tell us, because there are many of us that would like to turn off Google Voice's voicemail completely and nobody's been able to figure out how, yet it seems you may have stumbled onto it by accident!  If you ever actually figure out what settings cause the Google Voice voicemail to stop picking up, please let us all know!

(Of course, if we ever did find the secret sauce to fix this, the Google Voice folks would probably wake from their slumber long enough to change things, so as to once again force their voicemail onto us whether we want it or not.)   :(
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

jimates

ADHawkTech,

Plus the call rings for 28 seconds before it is answered (by the home answering machine).

28 seconds is not enough for 8 rings.

carl

Strangely, I experienced something very similar with Localphone . With Obi disconnected, the call went reliably into voice mail, however, with Obi running it just kept on ringing. As a matter of fact I bought an answering machine just to solve this problem. Even more strangely, the problem recently disappeared, at least on Obi 202 and I cannot test the 100 because it is overseas right now and they have some broadband connection issues or what.

_David_

Quote from: ADHawkTech on May 21, 2012, 10:31:46 AM
I have 2 GV accounts configured for use with my Obi110.  SP1 (my GV) goes to Google voicemail as expected when no one picks up.  However, the GV number assigned as SP2 on the Obi goes to the digital answering system on the corded handset in my home, instead of going to my wife's GV voicemail.  So far I have:

1) checked and re-checked configurations
2) set the home phone to pick up only after 8 rings (the maximum)
3) set GV to announce callers
4) Made the obligatory 1st call directly from Gmail

Yet somehow the home answering machine (which is set not to take messages) still picks up.  Any ideas?

Hi,

As a previous responder mentioned, I too believe I've stumbled on the resolve to your wife's GV voicemail not picking up... and for those who want to skip GV voicemail, a resolve for that as well... I've just tested this:

If your wife's (or your) phone number is in the ObiTALK "Trusted Users", AA will /answer/ the call, and prompt for "pass-through,"(1) "make another call,(2) or "callback"(3).

I wanted to go to GV voicemail, so I--my phone is in the "Trusted Callers" list--pressed "1" with the expectation that GV voicemail would pick up.  I don't have an answering machine(sic) on the phone connected to the Obi, so my "passed-through" call just kept ringing, and ringing... and ringing.

I found this thread among others seeking an explanation... and then it dawned on me: Obi answered the GV number's call!

Went to ObiTALK; took my calling phone out of "Trusted Callers"; called my GV number, and voila... GV voicemail!

Keep in mind, the Obi takes a few minutes to finalize configuration changes.

Oh, and I discovered how to have my AA and GV voicemail too... just press "2" at the AA prompt, and put your GV number in... straight to GV voicemail!

Bon Apetite!

Now, if some kind soul would explain to me how to configure Google chat to actually chat with my Obi (the tutorial on page 4 was not helpful)...

rgds,
David