News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Simplify the trouble shooting of the OBi

Started by QBZappy, March 13, 2011, 12:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

Simplify the trouble shooting of the OBi.

Forum threads that read "Tearing my hair out with newbie install" stands out like a marquee sign. In order to minimize the pain (after all that must hurt like anything) and not leave the impression out there that the OBi is difficult to setup I was considering the following idea. Others could propose improvements over this or other ideas.

I had mentioned in one of the threads a template design to format trouble shooting issues. OBi users could write in their details. It would be even nicer if it was built into the web page design of the OBi unit. In the "System Management->Device Update" the OBi engineers could design a "Print to ASCII text file of the existing dial plans, routing configs, etc..." . The backup to XML format is too difficult to interpret without converting it into human readable form, and I think it contains more info than is required to understand the configured OBi parameters. At least provide a tool to parse the Backup info into a format so that we can easily read or offer to someone who can help us fix things.

If memory considerations on the unit is an issue, you could setup a Wizard on the portal to convert an uploaded OBi backup file and do it there. A relatively easy way to add value to an already great product.

This would automate the trouble shooting process and make it easier for the users, the support people at OBi and on the forum. Text file could be emailed to the OBi support or reproduced on the forum for quick analysis. This would avoid those 7 page threads trying to resolve issues. Leaves a bad impression.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

Hi,

Maybe related to the above mentioned notion of providing easy to get info for support purposes, the current project being worked on, the "OBi Expert Configuration" is perhaps a project which can be leveraged into a possiblle means of providing remote assitance. Short of providing the OBi users login inforomation, perhaps a concept like the Remote assitance feature of MS Windows could work. In addition to allowing the OBi owner to make mods, setting up and allowing temporary access by an "OBi Expert" into the OBi configs allowing the OBi owner to approve any changes or revert to previous settings. The infrastructure is being built for a solution like this. If the ability is there why not think about using it.

This implies other considerations. Support using this type of strategy becomes more of a one to one support. This does not help others on a public forum. OBi users will not be offered the benifit of other peoples solutions. Visibility of the OBi product might be diminished on the forums. Some pros and cons I can think of.

Anyone else have any comments.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

Hi,

I did manage to find a tool to read the OBi config. Simply back up the OBi config and open it up using Excel. You see all the data in column form. Easy to understand. Way more info in there than we need to see. So if anyone wants to email their settings to your local OBi expert, this is how it could be done. He can even modify them for you in Excel and you can import them back into your OBi.

OBi-Guru

dealyanodeal

@QBZappy
How do we download the obi config file?

QBZappy

dealyanodeal,

Save the file to a location on the hard disk.

RonR

I think he was probably looking for:

System Management -> Device Update -> Backup Configuration

Check the 'Use OBi Version' checkbox and click the 'Backup' button.

It was save a file named 'backupxxxxxxxxxxxx.xml' where xxxxxxxxxxxx is your OBi's MAC address.