News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Need help to setup PSTN for OBI110

Started by Qnewbie, May 25, 2012, 11:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qnewbie

As attracted by many introductions that OBI110 is a better replacement of Linksys' SPA products, I bought one OBI110. I resides in Sweden and cannot set up properly for passing the incoming PSTN call to the phone with OBI110!  ???

Following the guideline by Leftright(http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=679.0)
Tone setting changed to:
Dial tone:       425-18;20
Ringback tone:  425-18;-1;(1+5)
Busy tone:     425-18;20;(.25+.25)
Reorder tone:   425-18;20;(.25+.75)

LINE port setting changed to:
DetectPolarityReversal: Check
DetectFarEndLongSilence: Check
SilenceDetectSensitivity: medium
SilenceTimeThreshold: 60

ACImpedance:         270+(755||150 nF) and ...
CallerIDDetectMethod:   DTMF(Finland,Sweden)

PHONE port setting changed to:
Impedance:             270+(755||150 nF)
CallerIDMethod:  DTMF(Finland,Sweden)

The phone rings when there is incoming call. I pick up the phone, there is only dial tone. OBI110 does not even connect the incoming call to the phone. Any hints are welcome! TIA!

/Qnewbie
PS.:
Both the LINE & PHONE led light up.
1. Disconnect the power adaptor from OBi110
2. Lift up your analog phone, do you hear dial tone ?
Yes
3. hang up your phone, wait ~3 second, and off hook again.
   do you hear dial tone ?
Yes again.

Stewart

From the phone connected to the OBi, can you:
Run the echo test (dial **9 222 222 222)?
Make VoIP calls?
Receive VoIP calls?
Make PSTN calls? (If Primary Line is not PSTN, try dialing **8 + PSTN number.)
Dial # and hear PSTN dial tone?  If so, can you then successfully call a PSTN number?

On a failing incoming PSTN call, what does caller hear when you answer phone connected to the OBi?  If you log into the OBi directly, what does Call History show for the failed call?

Qnewbie

Quote from: Stewart on May 25, 2012, 02:28:31 PM
From the phone connected to the OBi, can you:
Run the echo test (dial **9 222 222 222)?
Make VoIP calls?
Receive VoIP calls?
Make PSTN calls? (If Primary Line is not PSTN, try dialing **8 + PSTN number.)
Dial # and hear PSTN dial tone?  If so, can you then successfully call a PSTN number?

On a failing incoming PSTN call, what does caller hear when you answer phone connected to the OBi?  If you log into the OBi directly, what does Call History show for the failed call?

Echo test works.
Making VOIP calls are OK.
Receiving VOIP calls are OK.
Making PSTN calls are OK.

The only problem is incoming PSTN call. I just hears ringback tone(on my mobile) when I pick up the phone(only dial tone). Here is call history(failed call):
Call 1   05/26/2012    10:20:26   
Terminal ID   LINE1   PHONE1
Peer Name      
Peer Number      
Direction   Inbound   Inbound
10:20:26   Ringing   
10:20:28   End Call   
Call 2   05/26/2012    10:20:08   
Terminal ID   LINE1   PHONE1
Peer Name      
Peer Number      
Direction   Inbound   Inbound
10:20:08   Ringing   
10:20:10   End Call   

I think this is setting's problem but don't have any clue.

In Sweden, there is not disconnection tone. The start and end of call are signalled by polarity switch.

Stewart

Interesting.  How does the log relate to your actions?  (Did you post two separate attempts, or is one actual call logged as two or more calls in the OBi?  Did you answer within two seconds, or did the OBi generate the End Call event on its own?)

If you attempt to answer a PSTN call, hear dialtone and then press #, does that pick up the landline?  If not, try setting EnableLINEPortBargeIn for the Phone port and test again.

When a phone is connected directly to the PSTN line (OBi not in system), what is the approximate ring cadence (e.g. two seconds on, four seconds off)?   Does your PSTN line have caller ID? 

Qnewbie

Quote from: Stewart on May 26, 2012, 03:37:54 AM
Interesting.  How does the log relate to your actions?  (Did you post two separate attempts, or is one actual call logged as two or more calls in the OBi?  Did you answer within two seconds, or did the OBi generate the End Call event on its own?)
It is log for one call.

If you attempt to answer a PSTN call, hear dialtone and then press #, does that pick up the landline?  If not, try setting EnableLINEPortBargeIn for the Phone port and test again.
It picks up the landline but drops after a few seconds(or less). EnableLINEPortBargeIn is checked, the same result holds. Strange that there is not log in the call history.

When a phone is connected directly to the PSTN line (OBi not in system), what is the approximate ring cadence (e.g. two seconds on, four seconds off)?   Does your PSTN line have caller ID? 
Ring cadence is one second on, four seconds off. My PSTN line does not have CID for incoming calls.

Stewart

This is really puzzling.  If you manually take the line off hook by pressing #, I don't see why it should be any different electrically, whether the line is idle or you are answering between rings, unless perhaps the CO is doing something strange, or the polarity is opposite and there is a hardware problem in the OBi.  See whether disabling DetectCPC makes any difference.

Confirm that from idle, when you pick up the Phone port and press #, you hear PSTN dial tone and it does not drop within a few seconds.  On the Phone and Line Status page, report the values of LoopCurrent and TipRingVoltage, both when on hook, and after pressing # and hearing PSTN dial tone.

Quote from: Qnewbie on May 26, 2012, 08:47:30 AM
It picks up the landline but drops after a few seconds(or less). EnableLINEPortBargeIn is checked, the same result holds. Strange that there is not log in the call history.

Does the cell phone ringback tone stop and you have an audio path for those few seconds?  Again, report the values of LoopCurrent and TipRingVoltage, both between incoming rings, and one second after attempting to answer by pressing #.

Qnewbie

Quote from: Stewart on May 26, 2012, 11:57:48 AM
This is really puzzling.  If you manually take the line off hook by pressing #, I don't see why it should be any different electrically, whether the line is idle or you are answering between rings, unless perhaps the CO is doing something strange, or the polarity is opposite and there is a hardware problem in the OBi.  See whether disabling DetectCPC makes any difference.
DetectCPC is disabled already.

Confirm that from idle, when you pick up the Phone port and press #, you hear PSTN dial tone and it does not drop within a few seconds.  On the Phone and Line Status page, report the values of LoopCurrent and TipRingVoltage, both when on hook, and after pressing # and hearing PSTN dial tone.
From idle and pick up the Phone port and press #, I hear PSTN dial tone but it drop to busy tone within a few seconds.

Does the cell phone ringback tone stop and you have an audio path for those few seconds?  Again, report the values of LoopCurrent and TipRingVoltage, both between incoming rings, and one second after attempting to answer by pressing #.
The cell phone ringback tone stops and I can hear the audio for those seconds.

Idle:
Port Statushelp
Parameter Name   Phone Port Status
State   On Hook
LoopCurrent   0 mA
VBAT   57 V
TipRingVoltage   45 V
LastCallerInfo   ''

Line Port Status   
On Hook   help
0 mA   help
   help
-49 V   help
--   help

Ringing:
State   On Hook
LoopCurrent   0 mA
VBAT   57 V
TipRingVoltage   45 V
LastCallerInfo   ''

Line Port Status   
Ringing   help
0 mA   help
   help
-49 V   help
--   help

Before pickup:
State   Off Hook
LoopCurrent   20 mA
VBAT   17 V
TipRingVoltage   6 V
LastCallerInfo   ''

Line Port Status   
Ringing   help
0 mA   help
   help
-50 V   help
--

Pickup:
Port Statushelp
State   Off Hook
LoopCurrent   20 mA
VBAT   17 V
TipRingVoltage   6 V
LastCallerInfo   ''

Line Port Status   
Off Hook   help
19 mA   help
   help
6 V   help
--

Stewart

If you haven't already done so, try disabling DetectDisconnectTone.

Are you running the latest firmware?

Otherwise, I am thinking that since your PSTN shows pretty standard voltage and current values, an out-of-box OBi should be able to pass an incoming PSTN call to the Phone port (except for caller ID, which you don't have anyhow).  So, you could back up your configuration, do a factory reset, and test.  If incoming PSTN calls still fail, you can restore the config and we'll continue from there.  But if they work, you can then manually re-enter the config, one section at a time, to learn what setting is causing the trouble.

Quote from: Qnewbie on May 26, 2012, 12:32:15 PM
From idle and pick up the Phone port and press #, I hear PSTN dial tone but it drop to busy tone within a few seconds.
Confirm that it drops sooner than expected, e.g. the PSTN will normally play 20 seconds of dial tone, but through the OBi, it drops after 5 seconds.  If you access the PSTN line by pressing # and then dial a number, does that avoid the drop?  If so, it sounds like some sort of (unwanted) disconnect tone detection is taking place.  But if not, that seems strange, since you stated that normal outbound PSTN calls are ok (I assume by dialing **8 or having PSTN as Primary Line).

Qnewbie

Quote from: Stewart on May 26, 2012, 01:03:44 PM
If you haven't already done so, try disabling DetectDisconnectTone.
Box unchecked already.

Are you running the latest firmware?
1.3.0 (Build: 2711)

Otherwise, I am thinking that since your PSTN shows pretty standard voltage and current values, an out-of-box OBi should be able to pass an incoming PSTN call to the Phone port (except for caller ID, which you don't have anyhow).  So, you could back up your configuration, do a factory reset, and test.  If incoming PSTN calls still fail, you can restore the config and we'll continue from there.  But if they work, you can then manually re-enter the config, one section at a time, to learn what setting is causing the trouble.
Reset configuration, it still fails. :( After I press #, "there is no service available to complete your call".

One thing, the voltage at the phone port differs:
State   Ringing
LoopCurrent   0 mA
VBAT   75 V
TipRingVoltage   -18 V
LastCallerInfo   ''

Line Port Status   
Ringing   help
0 mA   help
   help
-49 V   help
--   help

Another incoming call shows:
Ringing:
State   Ringing
LoopCurrent   1 mA
VBAT   79 V
TipRingVoltage   59 V
LastCallerInfo   ''

Line Port Status   
Ringing   help
0 mA   help
   help
-49 V   help
--   help

Why the TipRingVoltage varies so much?

Stewart

The Phone port voltage discrepancy would be normal, if you refreshed the page when the port was in the active part of a ring cycle and just happened to catch it at that particular voltage.  During the silent phase of ringing the Phone port, my OBi shows e.g. State: Ringing, VBAT: 57V, TipRingVoltage: 45V.  Your previous capture showed State: On Hook, which seems to indicate that the OBi thought that ringing had ceased (call abandoned).  I don't know what timeout OBi uses to determine that (there doesn't seem to be a setting in the UI), but since both Sweden and US have a four-second off period, that shouldn't be an issue.  I also considered the possiblity that the ring detection might somehow be unreliable, but even if the OBi considered the call to have been abandoned, pressing # should still pick up the line and work like a normal answer.

Do you have DSL or other special service on this PSTN line?  If so, is there a proper filter between line and OBi?  Do you have a security system, fax or other device connected between the line and the OBi?

I'm starting to run out of ideas here.  Do you have another source (e.g. ATA from another provider, analog PBX extension) that you could use to test the Line port of the OBi?  Also, please answer the questions in my previous post relating to pressing # when the PSTN line is idle.

Qnewbie

I am using ADSL for this landline. I am sure that it is properly filtered as other analog phones work perfectly. There is not other device shares this line(I pull out all other phones).

Should try to test other device latter. Otherwise, I can still use obi110 as obi100.

mikedib87

Hi

I'm having the same issue in the UK.  Did this ever get resolved?

If so, how?

Thanks

ianobi

mikedib87 - welcome to the forum.

Can you be more specific - what happens with an incoming PSTN call? Does it ring the phone attached to the OBi110? Can you answer? With outgoing calls can you get dial tone from the OBi? There may be long delays connecting due to digit map considerations. Are you using a British Telecom line?

Have a search on this forum for posts with "UK" in the title - there are quite a few.

mikedib87

Hi ianobi

Thanks for the reply.

A PSTN call will ring the phone...but not consistently.  It will actually stop ringing and then restart ringing.  The logs see these as differing calls and log them separately.  I have tried the changes already outlined in this post.  I can't answer the call, when i pick up theres silence, then the phone goes down.  On the phone calling in, it just keeps ringing through.

It's a Cable Virgin Media line with a BT Connector.  The SIPgate service i've configured works flawlessly.  I can't dial out on the PSTN, I get service not available.

Thanks

ianobi

Set all of these as follows:

Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > RingDelay: from 4000 to 0
Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > Port Settings > CallerIDDetectMethod to FSK(V.23)
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > Port Settings > CallerIDDetectMethod to FSK(V.23)

Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > PSTN Disconnect Detection > DetectPolarityReversal: Uncheck

Now try lower values for:

Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > Ring Detection > RingThreshold

Ring threshold may be a problem if you are on a long line or have other devices connected in parallel with your OBi.

QuoteI can't dial out on the PSTN, I get service not available.

This is suspicious! You may have a connecter problem between the BT style socket and the OBi . What happens if you pick up the phone connected to the OBi and press"#" – you should get PSTN dial tone. Also, with no active call ongoing, what voltage is recorded at:

Status > PHONE & LINE Status > Line Port Status > TipRingVoltage

mikedib87

Hi Ianobi

Made those changes and it hasn't resolved the issue.

The tipringvoltage is at 0V.

I'll investigate the connection now.

Just a question, the lead that i'm using connects a BT style connector to a Rj11 connector.  It has 4 wires which I believe are crossed on the other end.  Should they be straight through?

Thanks for your help

Shale

Stewart and Ianobi, nice call on the TipRingVoltage....

Mike, try dialing '#', which should connect you to the BT PSTN line. Listen as you wiggle connections around your adapter and at the end of each cable. Any sound that you hear that correlates with the wiggling will identify the location of the intermittent connection which I think your description of your symptoms indicate.

mikedib87

Hi Shale

Thanks for the reply.  I dial # and a few seconds later it hangs up and goes to dial tone.  I hear what sounds like someone putting the phone down, then dial tone.

mikedib87

Also, strangely, when I reboot the obi my phone rings and will continue to ring until i answer it.  This then goes dead after a few seconds.

Shale

Quote from: mikedib87 on May 24, 2013, 09:41:22 AM
Hi Shale

Thanks for the reply.  I dial # and a few seconds later it hangs up and goes to dial tone.  I hear what sounds like someone putting the phone down, then dial tone.

Is that "few seconds" a fixed interval, or is the interval somewhat random? Did you wiggle while listening?