News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Possible Costumer has questions

Started by chuby, May 26, 2012, 04:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuby

Hi I have looked for an FXO that I can use to dial my PSTN using my cell phone.
Obi seems that it could work but I have a question, what I want to do is this:

Android Phone ------ >  FXO ( obi 110 ? ) ------> PSTN

(in my country landline calls are way cheaper than cell phones )

so I know that obi by using obion can do this HOWEVER, I call using my cellphone because
ALL my contacts are in my cell, and I am a lazy ^!!@#@@! that does not like to manual dial the
PSTN.

now this is the case, it seems that OBIon does not integrate with the regular dialer like Skype Does or
some SIP phones do, so can I use another SIP program to dial instead of OBIon but without the need
to edit my numbers so if I have to dial

555-5555

I don't have to dial

**9 xxxxxxxxxx 555-5555

I just want to press the call button get the menu that says use Normal Dialer, SIP Dialer (obi110 ? ) or Skype, select the Sip Dialer and make my call without any hassle.

I have seen that you guys recommend some online free sip providers to do this, but if I do this can I just dial

555-5555 and make my call ?

Thank you in advance !

Pd. my Cell Phone is a Samsing Galaxy SII, Rooted... 4.0.3 ICS.

QBZappy

chuby,

OBiAPP can use the OBi unit 99 speed dial numbers. That should be sufficient for most people. The speed dial numbers can even be set up to dial any GTalk/GChat address as well. You will need to re-enter the numbers. I don't know if you are aware that the OBi also can make a call back. This feature is interesting for those that have cell plans with free incoming airtime. When the unit calls you back you can make any outgoing call including any that you have setup in the speed dials.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

chuby

Quote from: QBZappy on May 26, 2012, 04:26:10 PM
chuby,

OBiAPP can use the OBi unit 99 speed dial numbers. That should be sufficient for most people. The speed dial numbers can even be set up to dial any GTalk/GChat address as well. You will need to re-enter the numbers. I don't know if you are aware that the OBi also can make a call back. This feature is interesting for those that have cell plans with free incoming airtime. When the unit calls you back you can make any outgoing call including any that you have setup in the speed dials.

Hi QBZappy I appreciate your response, I do love that OBi has that many speed dial numbers, that's great to keep family and friends ( I am latin, and we latins have HUGE families )

Regarding dials to GTalk and GChat, I don't really use those, nor many of my friends, I guess that in USA or CA, that is a lot of help being able to use Gtalk for free for instance however here it's not :/

It's interesting the callback feature, however incomming airtime in my country is not free.

I do love the 99 numbers but the thing is that I need what I wrote before, just because of this:

I use this to call costumers, but I have them on a database software, when I click on their phone it says: do you want to dial or do you want to send an SMS so if I can use an alternate phone I would just check I want to dial, and it will dial, those costumers are not even on my contact list and those are the ones that I have to call a LOT

so and idea if what I can do can indeed be done ? TIA  :)

Stewart

I use a free PBXes account to route calls from IP phones and other SIP clients to the OBi.  With proper setup, you can dial directly from your contact list, e.g. from CSipSimple.  The OBi is set up as a sub-PBX on PBXes.  A free PBXes account is limited to 2000 min/mo. and 60 min./call.  If you will be exceeding those limits, you'll need a paid account or another solution.

It's also possible for a SIP client to dial through the OBi directly, though setup is tricky if the devices are not on the same LAN.

There may be an alternate good solution, using a commercial SIP provider. What country are you in?  What do your local or national calls presently cost from your landline?  Approximate minutes usage?

chuby

Quote from: Stewart on May 27, 2012, 04:34:20 AM
I use a free PBXes account to route calls from IP phones and other SIP clients to the OBi.  With proper setup, you can dial directly from your contact list, e.g. from CSipSimple.  The OBi is set up as a sub-PBX on PBXes.  A free PBXes account is limited to 2000 min/mo. and 60 min./call.  If you will be exceeding those limits, you'll need a paid account or another solution.

It's also possible for a SIP client to dial through the OBi directly, though setup is tricky if the devices are not on the same LAN.

There may be an alternate good solution, using a commercial SIP provider. What country are you in?  What do your local or national calls presently cost from your landline?  Approximate minutes usage?

Hi I really really appreciate your input, first of all, 99% of the calls come from a LAN, and I do have a VPN on my router ( VPN server,  using open WRT ) so my phone can ALWAYS be part of my LAN, so even if it's hard it rocks that I can get a sip client to dial through obi directly.

Now regarding a free PBX account, I think that's a viable option since most calls are 5-10min, and I estimate that 300 calls on average would fit, because most of the times costumers call, I do have to call back specially when everyone is busy, but I could use 2-3 free accounts and switch them when one is about to die :D, of course, I plan to expand so this is an option that will be strongly considered to start, but as stated before the phones can always be on the LAN, so direct to obi will be the best option.

My country and costs... in USD

Country Costa Rica:

Landlines to Landlines < 0.001$
Landline to Cellphone  = 0.04$ ( aproximately )
Cellphone to Landline   = 0.05$ ( aproximately )
Cellphone to Cellphone = 0.05$ ( aproximately )

so the least expensive option is Landline to Landline, so when possible I do call to landline, however Landline to Cellphone is less expensive, around 1-2 us$ cents per call, and I use around 1500 minutes a month now, however that is rising quickly, so that's why I'm looking for this option, if it would be possible to save even 1cent per call it's worth it, and the unit will pay for itself rather fast.

Now of course I call a lot to my family, as well so maybe I will install another obi where my parents live so I could call them for free, and lower the bills even more, ( 45 per obi bucks if I can save 10$ a month 5 months the investment will get paied )

Anyhow all of this seem like viable solutions to a problem I need to fix !  ;D

I really appreciate your help, and I think I will order the obis today ! I think I saw a cupon somewhere so I'll look for that !

chuby.

Stewart

I attempted to set up CSipSimple to talk to my OBi directly, but am having trouble.  The OBi does not accept a registration, but CSipSimple does not appear to send any packets, when set not to register.  It does work properly without registration on Callcentric and Voxbeam, and will send registration requests to the OBi (which are rejected).  Perhaps someone here with CSipSimple can comment.  Do you have another SIP client for Android that might work?

With your landline-to-landline rate almost free, you won't find a VoIP competitor.  To mobiles, you might give Easyvoip a shot.  Quality is often mediocre, but may be ok to your destinations.  At about the same price as calling landline-to-mobile is Voxbeam; quality is usually quite good.  Until you get your OBi, that may be a good way to make calls from your cell phone.  At signup, you get a $1 free trial.

chuby

Quote from: Stewart on May 27, 2012, 05:50:03 PM
I attempted to set up CSipSimple to talk to my OBi directly, but am having trouble.  The OBi does not accept a registration, but CSipSimple does not appear to send any packets, when set not to register.  It does work properly without registration on Callcentric and Voxbeam, and will send registration requests to the OBi (which are rejected).  Perhaps someone here with CSipSimple can comment.  Do you have another SIP client for Android that might work?

With your landline-to-landline rate almost free, you won't find a VoIP competitor.  To mobiles, you might give Easyvoip a shot.  Quality is often mediocre, but may be ok to your destinations.  At about the same price as calling landline-to-mobile is Voxbeam; quality is usually quite good.  Until you get your OBi, that may be a good way to make calls from your cell phone.  At signup, you get a $1 free trial.

Native Support ( http://www.voipvoip.com/android/sip.html ) Sipdroid or Bria however Brias Is payed 7.99, I actually made an account to EasyVoip , their rates are quite good but they charge 0.020cents per min to my country ( I even considered replacing my setup to use them ) then when I got 10$ to make calls, and did my first call they charge a 0.039 cents connection fee... so a 1min call costs 0.59cents, if you make longish calls then the price comes down a bit.

I would like to see if someone actually have connected Android to the 110 and dialed out the PSTN. and a "How To" doc would be ideal since I see a lot of people asking how to do this on this forum.

TYIA.

PD. would this be easier if I get a SP-3000 ? can I get sip in on that FXO ?

Stewart

The trouble I am having with CSipSiple is that I can't get an unregistered call to go out on my LAN.  Conceivably, it's a problem with my Wi-Fi or router (Orange Livebox FTTH), but when I do tell it to register I see packets going out.  So, a different ATA would not help for this problem.

I also have Sipdroid, but AFAIK it cannot be configured to work with a device (or provider) that does not accept a registration.

If you have Bria or some other softphone, you could test to see if it will ring a softphone on your LAN, without going through a provider.  If so, it will almost surely work ok with the OBi.

If the main reason for using the cell phone is the contact list, perhaps you could export that to a softphone and call with that; most of those work fine with the OBi.  If you use a Bluetooth headset with the cell phone, you could pair that to the PC, if your computer has built-in Bluetooth or you have a Bluetooth dongle for it.

chuby

Quote from: Stewart on May 28, 2012, 04:42:18 AM
The trouble I am having with CSipSiple is that I can't get an unregistered call to go out on my LAN.  Conceivably, it's a problem with my Wi-Fi or router (Orange Livebox FTTH), but when I do tell it to register I see packets going out.  So, a different ATA would not help for this problem.

I also have Sipdroid, but AFAIK it cannot be configured to work with a device (or provider) that does not accept a registration.

If you have Bria or some other softphone, you could test to see if it will ring a softphone on your LAN, without going through a provider.  If so, it will almost surely work ok with the OBi.

If the main reason for using the cell phone is the contact list, perhaps you could export that to a softphone and call with that; most of those work fine with the OBi.  If you use a Bluetooth headset with the cell phone, you could pair that to the PC, if your computer has built-in Bluetooth or you have a Bluetooth dongle for it.

Hi I know there are options to all of this, the issue is this, I have my clients on a DATABASE not on my contacts, and that database gets updated all the time, when I click on a costumer name, it tells me if I want to call or send an SMS, if I want to call, it makes a normal call... that's where I need the SIP in.

I have no idea how to make a softphone ring W/O a SIP configuration ... what do I do ? dial like to the IP and a port ? can you show me "softphone to a softphone test" please ?

QBZappy

Quote from: chuby on May 28, 2012, 09:00:50 AM
when I click on a costumer name, it tells me if I want to call or send an SMS, if I want to call, it makes a normal call...

How are the calls delivered using the database? Using a voice modem on the computer?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

pc44

Quote from: chuby on May 28, 2012, 09:00:50 AMHi I know there are options to all of this, the issue is this, I have my clients on a DATABASE not on my contacts, and that database gets updated all the time, when I click on a costumer name, it tells me if I want to call or send an SMS, if I want to call, it makes a normal call... that's where I need the SIP in.

Hi chuby,

I also dial contacts in a custom database using Google Voice, except I use a script to make the call happen.  Once you answer QBZappy's question, that will help us know more about your setup.  Depending on what database and method of connecting you currently use, you may be able to use a script like I am using to place calls from your custom database via GV.  For me, my script includes launching the GV webpage, several pauses, then the letter 'c' (which brings up the GV Call Window), inserting the contact's number from the database, three TABS, and then an ENTER.  Remember, this is all in a script.  So in my case, you only click one button, and in about 2 to 3 seconds, the call is being placed.

Others on here use a Softphone like X-Lite or like Jitsi.  These may also make your automation goals easier to accomplish.

Let us know more about your current setup if possible,
pc44

chuby

Quote from: QBZappy on May 28, 2012, 09:41:01 AM
Quote from: chuby on May 28, 2012, 09:00:50 AM
when I click on a costumer name, it tells me if I want to call or send an SMS, if I want to call, it makes a normal call...

How are the calls delivered using the database? Using a voice modem on the computer?

Hi the database is called memento, when you create a field of the type phone, you tap on the number, then a popup shows up that says, what do you want to do, Call or SMS, so I select CALL, it opens the dialer with the number and voila it calls ! with SIPClients, it allows me to choose the default dialer or the SIP client, so I can use that to dial.

pc44

Quote from: chuby on May 28, 2012, 12:31:08 PMHi the database is called memento, when you create a field of the type phone, you tap on the number, then a popup shows up that says, what do you want to do, Call or SMS, so I select CALL, it opens the dialer with the number and voila it calls ! with SIPClients, it allows me to choose the default dialer or the SIP client, so I can use that to dial.

Sounds like you are running Android... meaning you are using this database on a smartphone?  If so, then my advice above is erroneous and will not apply to your setup.  :'(  Let's hope that QBZ's brilliant mind will save the day on this one :)

QBZappy

Quote from: pc44 on May 28, 2012, 12:54:29 PM
(  Let's hope that QBZ's brilliant mind will save the day on this one :)

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!  The pressure. Don't make me look bad. LOL

QBZappy

chubby,

Quote from: chuby on May 28, 2012, 12:31:08 PM
Hi the database is called memento, when you create a field of the type phone, you tap on the number, then a popup shows up that says, what do you want to do, Call or SMS, so I select CALL, it opens the dialer with the number and voila it calls ! with SIPClients, it allows me to choose the default dialer or the SIP client, so I can use that to dial.

I don't own anything Andoid, however I feel that there might be a working solution. Since you don't actually own an OBi, someone else will have to make test as I am not in a position to confirm it.

There are two ways that a sip softphone can connect to an OBi to make outgoing calls.

1) Using the specific OS version of the Obion OBiAPP + Andoid sip client
Read this for background info
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3344.msg22370;topicseen#new

2) sip softphone connecting to the OBi using one of the 8 available gateways. Read this for details if you like.

ATA as a 2nd OBi phone port
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3300.msg22032#msg22032

Finally, the secret sauce, if you configure the OBi unit to use the PSTN line as the primary line, all your sip calls will be pushed over the PSTN.

For additional feedback you may wish to ask on the momento forum as well. You need to know if sip calls over momento are reliable. This would be the obvious place to ask.

http://luckydroid.com/

pc44

He strikes again ::)

Good response QBZ... with some good options that seem very viable.

chuby

Quote from: pc44 on May 28, 2012, 11:20:58 AM
Quote from: chuby on May 28, 2012, 09:00:50 AMHi I know there are options to all of this, the issue is this, I have my clients on a DATABASE not on my contacts, and that database gets updated all the time, when I click on a costumer name, it tells me if I want to call or send an SMS, if I want to call, it makes a normal call... that's where I need the SIP in.

Hi chuby,

I also dial contacts in a custom database using Google Voice, except I use a script to make the call happen.  Once you answer QBZappy's question, that will help us know more about your setup.  Depending on what database and method of connecting you currently use, you may be able to use a script like I am using to place calls from your custom database via GV.  For me, my script includes launching the GV webpage, several pauses, then the letter 'c' (which brings up the GV Call Window), inserting the contact's number from the database, three TABS, and then an ENTER.  Remember, this is all in a script.  So in my case, you only click one button, and in about 2 to 3 seconds, the call is being placed.

Others on here use a Softphone like X-Lite or like Jitsi.  These may also make your automation goals easier to accomplish.

Let us know more about your current setup if possible,
pc44

hi ! I can't use GV I'm not in USA or CANADA :D

chuby

Quote from: QBZappy on May 28, 2012, 02:37:22 PM
chubby,

Quote from: chuby on May 28, 2012, 12:31:08 PM

I don't own anything Andoid, however I feel that there might be a working solution. Since you don't actually own an OBi, someone else will have to make test as I am not in a position to confirm it.

There are two ways that a sip softphone can connect to an OBi to make outgoing calls.

2) sip softphone connecting to the OBi using one of the 8 available gateways. Read this for details if you like.

ATA as a 2nd OBi phone port
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3300.msg22032#msg22032

Finally, the secret sauce, if you configure the OBi unit to use the PSTN line as the primary line, all your sip calls will be pushed over the PSTN.

For additional feedback you may wish to ask on the momento forum as well. You need to know if sip calls over momento are reliable. This would be the obvious place to ask.

http://luckydroid.com/

I am checking the resources you gave me right now ! thank you a lot.

chuby

QBzappy:

the link you gave me here:

is this post XD and this is one of the things that interest me the most :D

QBZappy