News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Problem setting up obi110 with Westell model 7500 dsl modem/router

Started by Pete, May 27, 2012, 08:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Does anyone have any experience using an obi110 with a Westell 7500 dsl modem?

I have two obi110s myself and I bought another obi110 for my parents to use. I can't for the life of me get it to work. It's not a problem with the obi because I tested it in my apartment and it works fine. When I use it in my parents house, I can hear the other party just fine, but the person I'm calling cannot hear me. One said it sounds like I'm talking underwater. My parents say there's a lot of static and echoing and low volume.

Since it works in my apartment and not in my parents place, I assume it has something to do with the modem/router? I tried connecting a separate router to see if that would help, but it was exactly the same problem. I've tried playing with the modem settings, but I couldn't fix it. I also tried searching the forum for help and tried setting the obi to full duplex.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Stewart

A useful test for evaluating outbound voice quality is at 1-703-376-3246.

If the trouble is just low volume, there may a compatibility issue with the phone at your parents' home.  Bring a phone of yours along and do a comparison test.  I don't believe that a networking issue can cause low volume.

If you have noise or echo heard by the remote party, it's possible that the phone or wiring is causing some electrical noise that the OBi is seeing as constant outbound voice.  If you are feeding their house wiring, test with one phone connected directly to the OBi, using a short cord.

If you have choppy voice, that is likely a network issue.  Test by shutting down the OBi and making a call with Gmail (or a softphone, if the provider is other than Google Voice).  If that's also bad, there is likely a problem with your line or modem, or you have interference from unintended traffic (malware, filesharing, neighbors leeching off unsecured Wi-Fi, etc.)  Viewing the modem stats may show what's wrong.

If outbound voice with Gmail is ok, but it's still bad with the OBi, try running a continuous ping to the OBi from a PC on their LAN.  If you see packet loss, try a different cable or router port.

pc44

Hi Pete,

It sounds as though the Westell 7500 includes SIP ALG.  While this may have nothing to do with the particular symptoms you are reporting, you may try disabling the SIP ALG feature inside the 7500.  On one hand, some of the geeks here have reported that Google Voice (if that's what you're using) does not use SIP ports.  On the other hand, other users in the past here have reported success after disabling SIP ALG in their (D-Link) routers.

Just a thought I thought I'd mention for your thoughtful consideration ;D
pc44

Pete

Hi Stewart,

My parents actually have two different phones and I tried both of them already. And I believe I also tried connecting directly to the OBi, using a short cord, but I'll try that again when I can.

For testing a network issue, can I test using the obion app or do I need to use the google voice app? Thanks.

pc44,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try that tomorrow too. It's not too convienent to test and fix this problem since I don't go to my parents place much and it's pretty far.

Any other ideas I can try?

Stewart

Quote from: Pete on May 28, 2012, 10:13:51 PM
For testing a network issue, can I test using the obion app or do I need to use the google voice app?
Both could be useful.  I'd test first with Gmail.  If that's bad, you'll know that the trouble is not related to the OBi and can look at networking issues.

If Gmail calls are ok, then try OBiON.  If that's bad, it points to a communication problem between OBi and network (bad cable or router port, etc.)  If that's good, I'd suspect the phone wiring or the phone itself.

When you go there, bring a phone that you have previously determined works well with the OBi and test it with a direct connection (no house wiring).  If the test phone is cordless, make sure that the base is at least five feet from your wireless router or other source of possible interference.

pc44

Quote from: Pete on May 28, 2012, 10:13:51 PMpc44,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try that tomorrow too. It's not too convienent to test and fix this problem since I don't go to my parents place much and it's pretty far.

Any other ideas I can try?

Hi Pete,

Certainly try all of the troubleshooting tips that Stewart mentioned.  If it is firewall related (there is a NAT in the westell modem/router), you could try to temporarily place the OBI in your westell modem/router's DMZ.  In your Verizon Westell modem/router, this is found under Firewall Settings -> DMZ Host.  (If you don't know your OBI's mac address, it can be found on the main status page when you first log in to your OBI.)  If all of your problems instantly disappear, then you know the router's firewall is in question.

The westell also has an option to turn off your firewall completely, but obviously that's not a good idea unless you are just testing with only the OBI on the LAN.  Setting the firewall to low, Firewall Settings -> General -> Minimum Security (Low) is another possible solution for testing this.

I know we are throwing lots of ideas at you, but since it's a long trip to your parents' place, I hope something that someone has said in this thread will solve your problem!  :)

pc44

Pete

Thank you Stewart and pc44! I will try all of your suggestions and will post the results. :)

MurrayB

I use one of my Obi110 with the Westell 7500 router. I always had the firewall set to no security per Verizon tech support recommendation. When I added the Obi it connected with no issues. I would be glad to share any other of my Westell 7500 settings if you wish.

Pete

Thank you for your offer MurrayB! I had actually tried setting the firewall set to no security before with no change.

So... This is what happened tonight. I had been tinkering with my parent's obi110 setup for months now and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. That is why I asked you guys on the forum for help. So I found out that my dad tried out the obi around 2 days ago and it worked fine! I tried it tonight and it does indeed work fine :) But now I have no idea what happened and why it wasn't working before for months. :(

I checked the SIP ALG option mentioned by pc44 and it was off by default I guess. I also turned the firewall to minimum security from no security and the obi still works, so I kept the minimum security. Called the phone # Stewart mentioned and it worked flawlessly. It is a nice useful test for evaluating outbound voice quality.

Stewart, pc44, MurrayB, I'm grateful for your help!