News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Busy signal if call waiting is disabled

Started by everest, May 28, 2012, 10:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

everest

I have an OBi100 and have set up google voice.  I have disabled the call waiting feature.  Is it possible to set up the OBi100 or google voice so that if you are on the phone, and someone else calls you, they get a busy signal?  Any help would be appreciated

Stewart

When on the phone with your present setup, a caller should get your GV voicemail.  If not, please report what happens.

GV does not support "early media", so the only way for a caller to hear a busy signal would be a fake one.  For example, you could set up CallForwardOnBusyNumber to point to a free VoxOx or Callcentric number, and upload a voicemail greeting there that sounds like a busy signal.

Of course, you could use a service other than GV that supports giving a busy signal.

But I must ask, why would you possibly want this???  The message to your callers would be "Instead of allowing you to leave a message, I am forcing you to repeatedly retry your call, until my wife gets off her two-hour call."

everest

I agree its an odd request to get a busy signal, but my father needs it like that way for his line of work.

infin8loop

Quote from: everest on May 28, 2012, 05:07:55 PM
I agree its an odd request to get a busy signal, but my father needs it like that way for his line of work.

You can get a fast busy signal by setting the Google Voice SPx :

Voice Services -> SPx Service -> CallForwardOnBusyEnable : checked
Voice Services -> SPx Service -> CallForwardOnBusyNumber : spx(17025550100)

Change spx (1 place) to sp1 or sp2 that corresponds to GV for the outbound forward.

The 555-0100 phone number is in the range reserved for "fictional use" per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_(telephone_number)

The 702 area code is Las Vegas and can probably be replaced by any valid area code.

I googled and found several lists of numbers that are supposed to always ring busy but in testing them I did not find one that actually rang busy when dialed through GV.  So  I tried numbers in the "555" range and they seem to always ring busy, albeit a "fast" busy which may or may not be acceptable.

"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

MichiganTelephone

Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.