News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using OBI100 to forward from one VOIP to GV

Started by bdmorgan72, June 03, 2012, 05:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdmorgan72

I'm one of the unfortunate users in an area code that is not supported by Google Voice yet.  I found this out AFTER I purchased a go phone and minutes.

So, my new plan is to port my number to another VOIP provider (probably callcentric, based on what I'm reading), and configure my OBI100 to use this service to forward to Google Voice.  Can I do this all on the same device:  receive call from call centric -> forward to google voice (using SIP URI, I believe), and have it ring on the OBI100 with my google voice account (I want to use GV for their voicemail and other features).

I realize I'll likely be using my google voice number to call out, and that it'll show up as my GV number on caller ID, but I think I can live with that.  I may go ahead an just purchase a CC call-out plan, but I'm trying to cut costs as much as possible, which is why I started this number porting to begin with.

Thanks in advance.

Ostracus

Callcentric has DID forwarding. Put in your GV number, then GV forwards to your Obi100.

Read the FAQ on forwarded calls though.

Lavarock7

Quote from: bdmorgan72 on June 03, 2012, 05:43:27 PM
I'm one of the unfortunate users in an area code that is not supported by Google Voice yet.  I found this out AFTER I purchased a go phone and minutes.

Does Sipgate have numbers in your area?

NOTE: The minute I posted this and went to Sipgate.Com I found their login not working...
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

bdmorgan72

Thanks for the replies.  Regarding the DID forwarding for CC:  I was hoping to be able to do forwarding at the OBI100 so that I didn't have to pay for an outgoing call plan from CC.  Is this possible?

Billt928

Quote from: bdmorgan72 on June 04, 2012, 06:15:15 AM
Thanks for the replies.  Regarding the DID forwarding for CC:  I was hoping to be able to do forwarding at the OBI100 so that I didn't have to pay for an outgoing call plan from CC.  Is this possible?

please see my thread http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3376.0

I found a solution and doing exactly what you are looking to do

in the Expert Configuration, take a look at Voice Services | SP2 Service | Calling Features section.  That's where you'd set up call forwarding for SP2 only

add this to the unconditional call forwarding field SP1(1800555xxxx) to forward to 1-800-555-xxxx using SP1

Or

if you configure
SP1 with your google number and set as primary outbound number
SP2 with callcentric and only select Voicemail notices and e911 service

by doing that the inbound should ring for both numbers. and outbound call would default to SP1 (your google number) and if you needed to dial outbound on your callcentric number  just dial **2 the your number

bdmorgan72

Thanks for that.  As of now, that thread is above my head, but I imagine I'll learn quickly once my OBI100 arrives (should be today or tomorrow).  Do you know if your thread applies to the OBI100, as well (since you're using an OBI202). 

Billt928

Quote from: bdmorgan72 on June 04, 2012, 07:43:40 AM
Thanks for that.  As of now, that thread is above my head, but I imagine I'll learn quickly once my OBI100 arrives (should be today or tomorrow).  Do you know if your thread applies to the OBI100, as well (since you're using an OBI202). 

It will be the same. I also have the OBi100 and OBI110.
The only changes that I can see  in that section is the OBI100 only has SP1 and SP2. The OBI has SP1 - SP4

bdmorgan72

So, this should work then?

Callcentric comes in on SP1.
Forwards to GV on SP2
  --Assuming that GV will handle all voicemail services with no need for further config on the OBI100, right?
Outbound calls made on GV using SP2

Billt928

Quote from: bdmorgan72 on June 04, 2012, 07:50:03 AM
So, this should work then?

Callcentric comes in on SP1.
Forwards to GV on SP2
  --Assuming that GV will handle all voicemail services with no need for further config on the OBI100, right?
Outbound calls made on GV using SP2

I would suggest putting GV on SP1 and Callcentric on SP2

things like the auto attendant and call forwarding default to SP1. If I read your post correctly you are looking to avoid outbound fees with callcentric.