News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What about 911?? Your Obi can call a Local Emergency Number when you dial 911

Started by jimates, March 13, 2011, 10:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruel

thanks. understood. i think. but that two-second pause scenario could be a problem if someone is somewhat incapacitated and having problems punching in 9-1-1 quickly. i can imagine that happening if someone had a stroke or some other sudden medical health problem but was still somewhat able to coherently dial 9-1-1 but really really really slowly. i'm guessing that's what was being talked about in that other discussion that you mentioned. oh, without my knowing anymore about how this is implemented on the OBi, my guess is this speed dial is not even operational on the OBi if you haven't set it up in the first place on the OBi (and therefore not a problem)?? lol, probably just TMI as far as i'm concerned.

i would probably be more concerned about this if my parents were here and something like that happened and if i wasn't around. geez, if my parents were here, i would probably not be using this OBi and instead would be using the Ooma to avoid these configuration issues and other tech-head problems. lol

oh, related to this with the 911 and the 411, i've put in the 411 rule in the OutboundCallRoute as described by you for calling BING-411. i didn't put in the 411 in the DigitMap and therefore got the delay before it connects. i'm thinking that's not too big of a deal to leave out unless if i get annoyed with the delay, because as far as i'm concerned the less changes that i make then the less chance of me screwing things up. lol. anyways, i was thinking about putting in something like a 111 rule for calling out to my parents' phone number, and a 222 rule for someone else's phone number, etc. i mention this because a recent problem that i have within the last few years, i would assume others have this problem also, is that people have been switching phone numbers, or going only with cell numbers, or switching to some sort of voip service, and therefore the landline numbers that i've long since have had memorized for years are no longer good. i could always pull up the number in the directory on the phone, but i'm thinking something like a 111 or 222 or 333 would be good to implement on my OBi. this is probably nothing new and that people must have already done this on their OBi's and because it's similar to punching in an extension number to call another phone in an office. sorry if this is like old news to other people reading this. lol

oh, have to ask this newbie question: if i upgrade the firmware, will these 911 and 411 settings be lost? or are the settings saved somewhere on the OBi and away from wherever any new firmware is installed? i haven't bothered to upgrade the firmware, except for the first time when i first set up my OBi last month, but if i were to update the firmware, i would like to know if settings don't just go away.

robkaier99

Wow !!! Nice information. I am very much pleased for getting these, Thanks to all .

jimates

RonR

Quote from: jimates on April 03, 2012, 07:30:54 PM
ruel,

upgrading the firmware will not affect your changes.

Do you think he's been waiting almost 11 months for that answer?   ;D

jimates

Quote from: RonR on April 03, 2012, 08:19:43 PM
ruel,

Maybe. I read every post that comes on the board. Perhaps not every day and at times it has been months between.

jimates

Quote from: jimates on April 03, 2012, 08:21:58 PM
Quote from: RonR on April 03, 2012, 08:19:43 PM
ruel,

Maybe. I read every post that comes on the board. Perhaps not every day and at times it has been months between. I may not see a response to one of my posts for a while.

ruel

um. how about: Maybe Not? eleven months. yeah. maybe not. LOL

the obi works. haven't bothered to upgrade the firmware for a while. sorry, but me don't treat the obi like windows that me need to do updates all the time. anyways, obi has since made it easier to set up 911 with a checkbox in the obi dashboard menus. ended up not using using 411 at all because me would just go to the internet to find 411 info. the only problem that me have is needing to get a new battery for one of my cordless phones and that's not an obi problem.

oh, me got an email notice about the new message in this discussion thread and took a peek around to refresh my memory about what me was asking about. methinks me should unsubscribe from this thread. lol

Ruff_Talk

Maybe someone can help me here.  I am unable to make any changes using the OBI setup wizard.  Can someone please point me in the right direction?  My set is:

Line 1:  GV (Personal line)
Line 2:  GV (Business line)

I am looking to ad 911 access by dialing a local 10 digit number.  I have the OBI100 device.  Any help would be appreciated.

RonR

Go directly to these settings:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> DigitMap:

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]|[1-9][0-9]|911|**0|***|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<911:12125551212>):trunk},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},
{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

where 12125551212 is the non-emergency number and trunk is sp1, sp2, etc.

Ruff_Talk

Quote from: RonR on May 14, 2012, 10:12:03 AM
Go directly to these settings:

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]|[1-9][0-9]|911|**0|***|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<911:12125551212>):trunk},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},
{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

where 12125551212 is the non-emergency number and trunk is sp1, sp2, etc.

Hey RonR,

Thanks for your speedy response!  I found the area you were referring to, however, I am still unable to edit anything on that page.  What am I missing?

Ruff_Talk

Hey RonR,

It worked like a charm!  Only problem is there is no "emergency 10 digit number" in my area, so the number I have to use is the "non emergency number".  It's better than nothing, I guess.  Thanks again for your help.

maddawg

Thank you for the detailed information.  Have it setup on Freephoneline, but first tested it by calling my home number.  Working good so far.  Don't know if I can call our 911 operator in Toronto to test if it works.  Just hoping it does.

Lostdog

I have an Obi 100 with Google Voice on SP1 and nothing on SP2 and wanted to set up 911 to dial the Los Angeles ten digit emergency services line: 213-928-8206

First I tried this, which didn't work. I got the error message: "There is no service to complete your call":

from
([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))
to

from
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}
to
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<911:12139288206>):trunk},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

After fiddling with various configurations and not knowing what I was doing, I stumbled on to this, which worked:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> DigitMap:  Back to ObiTALK settings (checked)

from
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}
to
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<911:12139288206>):sp1},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

I have no idea what I'm doing, nor why this worked and the other way didn't.  I just hope that if you're reading this, and if you are as big an ignorant fool as I am, I managed to save you some time.

hpmoon

These instructions are horrible and outdated.  There is no way to simply disable Auto Provisioning inside the category Auto Provisioning as instructed.  There is a multitude of various settings on that Auto Provisioning screen.  So the instruction to "disable Auto Provisioning" is totally worthless.

Also, the default string you mentioned for Phone OutboundCallRoute is totally different than what I see on my default, fresh 110, which says, "{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}"

So was the advice "official," or just some hobbyists suggestions?

jimates

These instructions are horrible and outdated.

That is a true statement considering the configuration was put together 16 months ago.

Also, the default string you mentioned for Phone OutboundCallRoute is totally different................

Again, true. There have been a dozen or more firmware updates since we first started using the Obi.

When we first started using the Obi, 17+ months ago, we were just interested in the basic daily operation. Now that we use more complex digit maps and call routes, there are many options to accomplish this process; but you can still use the basic alteration of the phone port settings to accomplish this.

Phillip

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread. I have found it a facinating learning experience. Now, seven month later, we're back and I need some help.

I have an OBi100 and I want to modify the setup as follows:

Setup Wizard>Outbound Settings>Phone DigitMap>
([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

MODIFIED
Setup Wizard>Outbound Settings>Phone DigitMap>
([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|411|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

Setup Wizard>Outbound Settings>Phone OutboundCallRoute>

MODIFIED
Setup Wizard>Outbound Settings>Phone OutboundCallRoute>
{(<911:7136259911>):sp1},{(<411:18002464411>):sp1},{(<#:>):li},{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

If I understand what is written in this thread correctly, then this should work. But I would like someone with more experience that I to read it over before I make the actual changes. This is to our home number and we have some very sick family members right now. I can't afford to 'brick' this thing or even have it offline for any length of time.

Thanks!

Concerning local governments that claims not to have 10 digit access to 911, you might want to investigate further:

I too was told that there was only 10 digit access to the non-emergency side of emergency dispatch. But I was persistent and called back and each time asked for someone different. Each time I learned something new: (This is in Houston Texas)

The non-emergency volunteer said no way; that I had to call the non-emergency line.
I started throwing acronyms and tech jargon at her; she got her supervisor. ;) Her Supervisor didn't know, but transferred me to an HPD information officer. He didn't know and said I had to call the non-emergency line and ask. (See the circle? I wasn't buying it!)

I asked that the information officer transfer me to the Sargent in dispatch. When he did, I introduced myself as a tech for (one of my DBAs) and explained that I was installing a non-standard phone system and needed to configure it for 10 digit 911 access because the VoiP provider didn't offer 911 access. He asked if this was for a business line or a residential line; explaining that 10 digit access was not available to residential lines... ;) I said both, citing county rules on home businesses. He approved and started being more cooperative.

The Sargent in dispatch said I had to speak to an Emergency Call Center Supervisor to set up the 911 test call. ** Before I would let him transfer me, I asked that he confirm the access number that I had. I gave him a phone number and he said no, then gave me the right one.  ;D  Success!!!

I spoke to a number of other people and finally ended up with the Harris County 911 District office. The manager there was pretty tight lipped until I engaged him in a conversation about  free phone service through GV and Obi. He liked not having to pay a phone bill! Before it was all over, he confirmed my access number and said no 10 digit line was part of the automatic location system. I would be asked for the address. But he also told me that it rang directly in the 911 call center and my call would enter the cue just like any other call. Good to know! The number is listed above in my Phone OutboundCallRoute entry.

I hope this information is useful. Good Luck!

EDIT ************************

I have since submitted the changes above and they seem to work - except for the 411 800 number which rings into infinity. But I think I know where to find that fix, so I'm off to the races again! Thanks!
Obi100, sp1 Anveo, sp2 Alcazar Networks Toll Free Terminal provider, Cisco Gigabit modem, TP-Link router/switch

lhm.

"said no 10 digit line was part of the automatic location system. I would be asked for the address. But he also told me that it rang directly in the 911 call center and my call would enter the cue just like any other call."

Ask them what happens if all dispatchers are busy on 911 calls. More than likely you will get a recording that says "If this an emergency call 911 or call back at a less busy time." Been there done that.

18002464411 is a non functioning #. Use to be Bing411/Microsoft.

hpmoon

Bumping this thread:  it used to be the definitive guide for routing a 911 dial sequence on an ObiTALK device, to a local emergency response number.  But it's been nearly a decade!  Would anyone be so kind as to update this?

I have dug deep into the Expert Configuration Menu and the closest thing to this is "User Defined DigitMaps" under "User Settings," but the instructions here simply don't match.

SteveInWA

Quote from: hpmoon on August 15, 2020, 11:09:42 PM
Bumping this thread:  it used to be the definitive guide for routing a 911 dial sequence on an ObiTALK device, to a local emergency response number.  But it's been nearly a decade!  Would anyone be so kind as to update this?

I have dug deep into the Expert Configuration Menu and the closest thing to this is "User Defined DigitMaps" under "User Settings," but the instructions here simply don't match.

Unless this is a spam post, then you are posting in a nearly decade-old discussion.

There is no need to go into expert mode or to do anything special.  Simply open the OBiTALK portal, add a 911 service provider, then configure that provider to be the default for emergency calls.  There is a check-box right on the configuration page to do that.

https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev