News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What about 911?? Your Obi can call a Local Emergency Number when you dial 911

Started by jimates, March 13, 2011, 10:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimates

What about 911?

This question has come up many times, not only for use with the Obi but for everyday use with SIP services that do not provide 911 service. The Obi is flexible enough in it's features that we can compensate for that by having it dial any assigned number when we press 911 on the phone.

You can check with your local 911 center or local police dept. for a local 7 or 10 digit number you can call for emergency service. You can then create a rule for the Obi. When you dial 911, the Obi will call the other number instead of 911.

Make sure you get an EMERGENCY NUMBER, not the non emergency number, or just a number for a dispatcher. Make sure they understand what you NEED. You don't want some phone ringing on a desk while they clean the donut powder from their shirt before answering the phone.

Also, once you get the number and set it up you should make an appointment with the call center to "test" your setup.

That should provide the equivalent of 911 service, not E911. You will still have to give your information/address when calling but at least your call will be to the right place.

Make your Obi call a Local Emergency Number when you dial 911.

-- Managing from the device's web interface

These edits are made from the Obi Web Interface.
Dial * * * 1 from the phone connected to your Obi to get the IP address.  
Enter the IP address in your browsers address bar to access the Obi's web interface.

If you want to manage your device from it's web interface you should turn off the Auto Provisioning. With Auto Provisioning on, the settings from the Obitalk Portal take precedence and any of those changes made from the web interface will be over written upon reboot of the device. You can't use both to manage your Obi.

When making changes from the web interface you must submit your changes by clicking "Submit" at the bottom of each page. You will be prompted to reboot after clicking "Submit". You do not have to reboot until after all of your selections have been made, but you must click "submit" before navigating away from each page.

From the Obi's web interface
System Management > Auto Provisioning > Auto Provisioning = Disabled

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Managing from the Obi Expert Configuration at the Obitalk Portal

When making changes from the Obi Expert Configuration, you need to uncheck both the "Device Default" box & the "ObiTalk Settings" box.  You must submit your changes by clicking "Submit" at the bottom of each page, before you navigate away from the page. You do not have to reboot the device, the device will automatically reboot after the submission on each page.

This configuration is only for the Obi110. There is another section below for configuration of the Obi100.

The default action of the Obi110 is for 911 calls to go out on the LINE port unchanged. This guide covers the 3 most common desired changes to the 911 setting.

This is the full default OutboundCallRoute for firmware 1.2.0 (Build: 2101), it may be shortened in the examples below.
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2}
    ,{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

A -- If your SIP provider has 911 service and you just need to direct 911 to the proper SIP line,
       this edit will change the default action so 911 calls will go out on a designated SIP line.

Setup Wizard > Outbound Settings > Phone OutboundCallRoute

default call route
...,{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2} .....

edit the first rule to remove the default 911 routing - remove |911
...,{(<#:>):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2} .....

add the new rule - add {911:spX}, - substitute the desired sp designation (sp1 or sp2) for spX

...,{911:spX},{<#:>:li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2} .....
    no spaces, and note the comma between the rules

B -- If you want to set it so that pressing 911 dials an alternate number, and sends the call out on a
       designated SIP line, make this edit to the Phone's OutboundCallRoute

default call route
...,{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2} .....

edit the first rule to remove the default 911 routing - remove |911
...,{(<#:>):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2} .....

add the new rule - add {(<911:1xxxxxxxxxx>):spX}, - (substitute your desired number for xxxxxxxxxx,
    and the desired SIP line designation represented by spX)

...,{(<911:1xxxxxxxxxx>):spX},{(<#:>):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2} .....

C -- If you want the call to remain going out on the LINE port but want it to dial an alternate number
       instead of 911, you can make this small edit to the Phone's OutboundCallRoute.

default call route

edit to this - add the desired alternate number & the appropriate symbols   (< > (<911:1xxxxxxxxxx>
    substitute your desired number for xxxxxxxxxx

...,{(<#:>)|(<911:1xxxxxxxxxx>):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2} .....

**Note: Pressing # on your phone's keypad will connect you directly to the LINE port.
              From there you can place a 911 call normally, if you have service on that line that provides 911 service

Optional info for adding 411 to the Obi110

Step 1 - Add 411 to the digit map (without 411 added to the digit map you will get an extra 10 second dialing delay after pressing 411)

Setup Wizard > Outbound Settings > Phone DigitMap

default digit map
([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]|[1-9][0-9]|911|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

edit to add |411
([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]|[1-9][0-9]|911|411|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

Step 2 - Add the new rule to the OutboundCallRoute to dial a designated number when 411 is pressed

default outbound call route
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1}
,{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

add {(<411:1xxxxxxxxxx>):spX}, - (substitute your desired number for xxxxxxxxxx,

{(<411:!xxxxxxxxxx>):spX},{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1}
,{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

{(<411:18002464411>):sp1},  added to the front of the OutboundCallRoute will call "1800 BING 411" on SP1

Configuration for the Obi100

Since the Obi100 does not have a LINE port to use an existing PSTN based service you have to set it up to
dial out on one of the SP lines. The 911 reference already exists in the default digit map.

A -- If your SIP provider has 911 service, you just need to direct 911 to the proper SIP line,
       this edit will set the action so 911 calls will go out on a designated SIP line.

default call route
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

add the new rule - add {911:spX}, - substiture the desired sp designation (sp1 or sp2) for spX

{911:spX},{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},...

B -- If you want to set it so that pressing 911 dials an alternate number, and sends the call out on a
       designated SIP line, make this edit to the Phone's OutboundCallRoute

default call route
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

add the new rule - add {(<911:1xxxxxxxxxx>):spX}, - (substitute your desired number for xxxxxxxxxx,

{(<911:1xxxxxxxxxx>):spX},{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},....

Optional info for adding 411 to the Obi100

Step 1 - Add 411 to the digit map (without 411 added to the digit map you will get an extra 10 second dialing delay after pressing 411)

Setup Wizard > Outbound Settings > Phone DigitMap

default digit map
([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]|[1-9][0-9]|911|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

edit to add |411
([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]|[1-9][0-9]|911|411|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

Step 2 - Add the new rule to the OutboundCallRoute to dial a designated number when 411 is pressed

default outbound call route

add {(<411:1xxxxxxxxxx>):spX}, - (substitute your desired number for xxxxxxxxxx,

{(<411:!xxxxxxxxxx>):spX},{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

{(<411:18002464411>):sp1},  added to the front of the OutboundCallRoute will call "1800 BING 411" on sp1.

RonR

jimates,

A couple of comments regarding the approach you took to substituting a local emergency number for 911:

1. The {911:sp1}, (or {911:sp2},) routes in the PHONE Port > OutboundCallRoute will never be used because '911' won't exist when the OutboundCallRoute is evaluated.  '911' will have been replaced by '8145255040' by that time.  If these routes were ever used, then '911' itself, not the replacement number, would be sent out SP1 (or SP2).

2. When the OutboundCallRoute is evaluated, it will be working on the number '8145255040', not '911'.  Whichever port's DigitMap best matches '8145255040' will determine the port used, not the fact that '911' was replaced by '8145255040' in the SP1/ITSPA DigitMap.  In your case, it's apparently going out SP1 as you want it to, but this may be an accident because your PrimaryLine is SP1 and it's actually matching the 'xx.' rule in your ITSPA DigitMap.  This leaves a lot of uncertainty in what's going to actually happen when you dial '911' as you make changes to the ITSPA, ITSPB, and LINE DigitMap's or change your PrimaryLine in the future.  In other words, this is a very fragile approach and is likely to get broken such that '911' may not go out the intended port.

An infinitely simpler and totally reliable approach is to leave all the DigitMap's as they were and simply do the substitution at the last minute in the OutboundCallRoute:

Default OutboundCallRoute:

{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}

New OutboundCallRoute:

{(<911:8145255040>):sp1},{(<#:>):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}

This guarantees that when you dial '911', the replacement number goes out the desired port.

jimates

RonR,

At least I do test my configurations before I post them.

What you came up with does not work.

Why don't you help someone figure out the right way it should be, instead of telling them they are wrong, and then posting incorrect, unverified information that you say is right.

I am learning here. And will accept constructive criticism or help.

Did you look at the defaults or did you think I just came up with all that on my own. I took the default information and edited what I thought was pertinent. If 911 was in the call route or digit map pointing to li, then I tried to make it point to an sp.

1. The {911:sp1}, (or {911:sp2},) routes in the PHONE Port > OutboundCallRoute will never be used because '911' won't exist when the OutboundCallRoute is evaluated.  '911' will have been replaced by '8145255040' by that time.  If these routes were ever used, then '911' itself, not the replacement number, would be sent out SP1 (or SP2).
If the 911 references in the OutboundCallRoute won't ever be used, why were they there originally.

1. The {911:sp1}, (or {911:sp2},) routes in the PHONE Port > OutboundCallRoute will never be used because '911' won't exist when the OutboundCallRoute is evaluated.  '911' will have been replaced by '8145255040' by that time.  If these routes were ever used, then '911' itself, not the replacement number, would be sent out SP1 (or SP2).
911 isn't replaced with the other number until the ITSP DigitMap rule is processed. Doesn't the Phone Port OutboundCallRoute have to route the call to the correct ITSP (where I put the rule) before those rules apply?

I assumed the route rule would go in the OutboundCallRoute and the number would need to be in the DigitMap,. I figured that is why there were two place for the rules, one for routing rules and one for digit rules.

One thing you said is correct, the call goes out the ITSP that is set as primary. But only when other editing is in place.
The 911 rule in the Phone Port OutboundCallRoute must be removed or the call is sent to the LINE port. With no rule to send it to the LINE it defaults to the Primary ITSP. The 911 reference in the phone Port DigitMap could remain, but I saw no reason to leave it there.

I can have the ITSP DigitMap with the new rule in place for both ITSP's at the same time. With the call only going out the Primary line I kind of thought the same thing as you.  But without removing the 911 reference from the Phone Port OutboundCallRoute that points 911 to the li, it fails. And trying to do it all in one place, like you did, does not work for me.

The call goes out immediately after the two second delay. Some variables did work but resulted in a delay varying form 10 to 20 seconds.

The only thing I need is a routing rule that forces 911 to the correct ITSP the same as it did to the li in the default. That way 911 can go out on the designated sp instead of the default.

Some people have a SIP provider just for 911. If they have that provider on the sp that is not the default, they will have to dial **2 911.

jimates

I may be getting closer.
After using the call history to see which port it was going out on, instead of just assuming it wasn't working because of a failed call, I have it to where I can direct the call to either sp1 or sp2 no matter which is the default. But now it isn't processing my ITSP DigitMap rule for the alternate number.

My call history shows it goes out on the sp that I want. but now it shows it went out as 911
Before when I could only get it to go out the default,  the call history showed it going out as the alternate number. Same DigitMap rule in the same place.

With call history showing that 911 passed through the ITSP and with this ITSP DigitMap (<911:8142489644>|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1814>[2-9]xxxxxx|011xx.|xx.)
I thought the first rule would process, and change 911 to 8142489644
But the Phone Port DigitMap must take priority and sends it out as is, without going through the ITSP rules.

this is what I have

Phone Port OutboundCallRoute
{911:sp2},{<#:>:li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}

Phone Port DigitMap
([1-9]|[1-9][0-9]|**0|***|#|(Mpli)|**1(Msp1)|911|**2(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)) 

ITSP DigitMap
(<911:8142489644>|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1814>[2-9]xxxxxx|011xx.|xx.)

jimates

I got it working using a combination of your setting and mine.

Phone Port DigitMap
([1-9]|[1-9][0-9]|911|**0|***|#|(Mpli)|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp))
  new
([1-9]|[1-9][0-9]|**0|***|#|(Mpli)|**1(Msp1)|911|**2(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp))

Phone Port OutboundCallRoute
{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}
  new
{(<911:8142489644>):sp2},{(<#:>):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}

The ITSP DigitMaps can remain unchanged.

RonR

Quote from: jimates on March 14, 2011, 04:22:23 AMRonR,

Why don't you help someone figure out the right way it should be, instead of telling them they are wrong, and then posting incorrect, unverified information that you say is right.

Did you look at the defaults or did you think I just came up with all that on my own. I took the default information and edited what I thought was pertinent. If 911 was in the call route or digit map pointing to li, then I tried to make it point to an sp.
jimates,

Your response is totally uncalled for.  It was not my intent to criticize you and I thought I was giving you help.  I did test what I posted last night and I tested it again just moments ago after reading your reply.  It does work.  It was verified information.  It was crafted from defaults with only the first route in OutboundCallRoute changed and DigitMaps left in their original state.

Your most recent post at 08:16:38 AM (last edited at 08:27:37 AM) says "I got it working using a combination of your setting and mine.", but it's exactly what I posted last night, except you used sp2 this time instead of sp1 that you were wanting to use last night.  The only change you made was in the DigitMap by moving the position of the 911 rule, but you'll find that was unnecessary and has no effect.

I'm sorry you're having problems understanding DigitMaps and CallRoutes.  It's certainly not the easiest stuff to grasp.  But please don't take your frustrations out on someone who is spending a considerable amount of time trying to help you.

RonR

Something just caught my eye that does need correcting, but it's not germane to the 911 discussion in this thread.

The default OutboundCallRoute I started with was copied from page 34 of the the OBi Device Administration Guide and is missing the '{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},' rule.  This omission obviously breaks **8 processing, but has no effect on anything being discussed in this thread regading 911 processing.  My apologies for not catching this error sooner.

Default OutboundCallRoute:

{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}

should have been:

{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}

New OutboundCallRoute:

{(<911:8145255040>):sp1},{(<#:>):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}

should have been:

{(<911:8145255040>):sp1},{(<#:>):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}

MichiganTelephone

This is something I posted last night, then removed after a few minutes.  On reflection I think it might be worth re-posting, except that this time I'm not going to point fingers at any one individual, because I think that there are many of us that could potentially fall into this role if we're not careful, myself included.

I have observed that on far too many forums, it seems like there's one guy who for whatever reason feels like it's his duty to jump in and "help" people with his questionable advice, and he will almost never admit when he's wrong.  And once he's started to "help" someone he gets ticked off if anyone else offers advice (especially if they offer better advice than he did).  There's been a guy like that in at least two of the major VoIP forums that I can think of right off the bat, and they have been seriously detrimental to both forums.  And when you have a guy like that, he can actually drive away some of the helpful people (who know what they are talking about).

Please - don't be that guy!
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

jimates

Quote from: RonR on March 14, 2011, 07:04:32 AM

jimates,

Your response is totally uncalled for.  It was not my intent to criticize you and I thought I was giving you help.  I did test what I posted last night and I tested it again just moments ago after reading your reply.  It does work.  It was verified information.  It was crafted from defaults with only the first route in OutboundCallRoute changed and DigitMaps left in their original state.

Your most recent post at 08:16:38 AM (last edited at 08:27:37 AM) says "I got it working using a combination of your setting and mine.", but it's exactly what I posted last night, except you used sp2 this time instead of sp1 that you were wanting to use last night.  The only change you made was in the DigitMap by moving the position of the 911 rule, but you'll find that was unnecessary and has no effect.

I'm sorry you're having problems understanding DigitMaps and CallRoutes.  It's certainly not the easiest stuff to grasp.  But please don't take your frustrations out on someone who is spending a considerable amount of time trying to help you.

I apologize. But more times than not your tone comes off as a bit arrogant. I guess maybe it is just me.

I just used sp2 because sp1 is my default and I knew it worked on the default. If I didn't move the 911 rule in the DigitMap I got a busy signal when I dialed.

I am not going to pretend I know what I am doing, but I think I have caught on pretty good considering I never even knew what they were until 3 days ago.

Like I said before, I thought since 911 was referenced it had a purpose in the DigitMap.

I tried so many different combinations and rebooted the Obi so many times i lost track of what almost worked and what didn't. I got messed up when I started getting "no service" or "invalid number" messages. Thinking it wasn't working at all when it was actually going through but not processing the alternate number rule.

I actually thought I had bricked the Obi at one point. The power light wouldn't even come on. Tried a reset but nothing. I had to unplug the power and hold the reset while I plugged the power back in. It came back to life.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: jimates on March 14, 2011, 08:06:51 AM
Quote from: RonR on March 14, 2011, 07:04:32 AM

jimates,

I apologize. But more times than not your tone comes off as a bit arrogant. I guess maybe it is just me.

Trust me, jimates, it's not just you.  We're all relatively new to these units so unless someone works for Obihai support, they have no business coming off like a know-it-all.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

GnatGoSplat

Thanks jimates, this works great!  I now have 911 and 411 set up.

However, anyone thinking about replacing landline with an Obi using Google Talk might want to make sure a 7 or 10-digit emergency number exists.  I talked to the Emergency Management Director in my area, and no such number exists.  She did, however, give me a 7-digit non-emergency number.  She warned me that although it will ring the 911 call center, any calls coming in on it will be at the end of the queue.  She said it's better than nothing, but she recommended that I use my cell phone for 911 service if possible.  She also recommended that I write down my address and put it near any phone connected to my Obi in case any guests need to call 911, they will need the address for the 911 dispatcher.

That was no concern to me as I didn't have a landline anyway.  Another solution for those worried about 911, is to get a landline phone system with multiple handsets that support Bluetooth.  I have an inexpensive VTech system that works pretty well for that.  Calls on any handset around the house can be routed to either my wife's cell phone or mine.  I figure that, plus having Obi set up to dial the 911 call center, I should hopefully have no trouble reaching emergency services should it be needed.

srhuston

Quote from: GnatGoSplat on April 15, 2011, 07:56:16 AM
However, anyone thinking about replacing landline with an Obi using Google Talk might want to make sure a 7 or 10-digit emergency number exists.  I talked to the Emergency Management Director in my area, and no such number exists.  She did, however, give me a 7-digit non-emergency number.

I have the exact same problem (Bucks County, PA) - there is no ten-digit number to get into the emergency side of the 911 console, only the non-emergency side.  The person with whom I spoke suggested a landline specifically, because of some problems with 911 service on cell phones as well (such as being sent to the wrong PSAP due to improper routing, say if you're on the edge of a county or jurisdictional border).  That and if you have someone such as a child or babysitter who sees a phone, they're apt to use it to dial 911 and you want that call to go through, not get a recording about "You should use the cell phone for that" or whatever.

What I've done is purchase a second OBi110, and have a sipgate account setup on it.  After a conversation with sipgate to verify a couple things, I'll be enabling E911 service on that line and reconfiguring the 110s to use that particular service for emergency calls (the "primary" 110 will use its line port to talk to the secondary, and the secondary will use SP1).  Once that's done I'll schedule a test call to make sure it all works fine, and then as long as we have an Internet connection it will all work fine.

colortheory

I'd like to try this, but I can't find Outbound Settings under Setup Wizard. I've got an OBi100. Apologies if it's something obvious! I'm new to this.

Brian.

jimates

That guide was written before the "Expert Configuration" was available from the Obitak portal and everything had to be done from the Obi's web portal.

I don't have my Obi100 connected anymore but it should look the same (except the phone physical interface) from the Expert Config.
http://thejmart.com/Obi/obi.gif

I will make some changes to the guide when I get a chance.

jimates

I edited the guide for management from both the device's web interface and the Obi Expert Configuration.

colortheory

ruel

hello. thanks for the guidance here on setting up 911 on the OBi. before i got somewhat of an limited understanding of this scripting of rules on the OBi, i was seriously thinking of dumping GV that i got for my OBi100 and only using Sipgate to avoid all of this scripting nonsense.

anyways, i have the OBi100. I have GV on sp1 for making outgoing calls, and I have Sipgate on sp2 for taking incoming GV calls:

incoming call --> GV --> Sipgate --> OBi100 sp2 --> house phone

house phone --> outgoing call --> OBi100 sp1 --> GV --> whoever is being called

(1) i'm planning to subscribe to E911 service on Sipgate. that means that i want the 911 calls to go out sp2. so according to the @jimates 911 guide, i would have to add the first rule to the beginning of the OutboundCallRoute:

{911:sp2},{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

so i only have to paste "{911:sp2}," (without the quotation marks) to the beginning of the OutboundCallRoute without making any other changes.

(2) but if don't want to subscribe to any E911 service, then i would have add a different rule

{(<911:12223334444>):sp1},{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

where i have to paste "{(<911:12223334444>):sp1}," (without the quotation marks) to the beginning of the OutboundCallRoute without making any other changes, where the call goes out sp1 via GV, and where 12223334444 is the 1-ten-digit telephone number for the emergency phone number.

i'm asking if my understanding of this is correct. i appreciate the guidance.

i'm guessing that the official OBihai folks may eventually provide simple wizards to implement setups for 911 and 411 without having to manually do this. although in retrospect this scripting of rules may not be too difficult to eventually understand, there is still a scary learning curve that one has to climb to get even a beginner's understanding of any of all this.

jimates

You are correct in understanding what to add for the modifications.

Obihai could add a couple optional setting in the setup wizard for 911.

911 Voice Service  - drop down with service options
     selecting other than default would modify the OutboundCallRoute for chosen service

Alternate 911 Number - box for entering optional number
     entering a number would also modify the OutboundCallRoute with entered number

They could do the same thing for 411

The Obi has provisions for directing a 911 call in the DigitMaps and CallRoutes, but it is not intended for emergency calling outside of those defaults. Perhaps without any direct options for emergency calling there is no implied responsibility.

I voiced my concern about the possible speed dial 911 conflict and no one was conerned.

ruel

there's a speed dial for 911? i would think that punching in 9-1-1 on the keypad is fast enough. lol. oh well. is that like a ** command or something else? maybe i'm misunderstanding.

oh, btw, i put in the 911 rule on my OBi. thanks.

jimates

Quote from: ruel on May 23, 2011, 03:24:54 PM
there's a speed dial for 911? i would think that punching in 9-1-1 on the keypad is fast enough. lol. oh well. is that like a ** command or something else? maybe i'm misunderstanding.

oh, btw, i put in the 911 rule on my OBi. thanks.
No, there was a concern (minimal it seems) about speed dial only requiring a single or double digit entry, without anything else. You just dial a single digit without having to press * or # etc.

If you press 9, and do not press another digit within 2 seconds, the obi is going to dial the number in speed dial placeholder 9. Same with any digit and slow dialing. I asked about needing to dial 911 and pausing after the first digit and the obi dialing another number. Obihai, and other forum members, seem to think no one will ever experience that situation. They like not having to dial the extra digit for speed dial.

Not a real concern of mine but on other forums, 911 is big concern.