News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outbound working, No inbound and fast beeps when i pick up to make a call

Started by dbabits, November 27, 2017, 07:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbabits

Hi experts,
Everything was working fine, until suddenly I started experiencing the problem in the subject of this thread.
Short beeps and no inbound calls getting through.
Short beeps actually don't prevent outbound calls (though it took me some time to figure it out).
Inbound calls not getting through is the actual problem.

I am using Google Voice, and found and followed steps described here: http://www.obihai.com/support/troubleshooting/sg/inc

I also disconnected/reconnected GV to no avail.

Again, the setup worked fine until a few days ago.

Thank you for your help

SteveInWA

Please describe in exact detail what sound you are hearing. Is it the message-waiting stutter dial tone (three short bursts of dial tone, followed by a steady dial tone, at which point you can make a call)?  Or is it something else?

Have you been using any other VoIP telephone service provider(s) with your OBi device?

dbabits

I am hearing a constant short stutter tone(not followed by steady dial)
It still allows me to dial, so it's the lesser of my problems.

And no, I have not been using any other VoIP telephone service provider. Only Google Voice.

Thanks!

SteveInWA

I don't know how it happened, but your OBi has its message waiting indicator turned on.  Ordinarily, that's just a bit to change in settings, but since your inbound calls don't work either, I recommend that you start over from scratch.

Log onto your Google account on a laptop or desktop web browser., go to the Google Voice website, and confirm you see your Google Voice telephone number.  Looking at the old, "Legacy" website, confirm that there is a check-mark next to "Google Chat".

Press Ctrl-T on your browser, to open a new tab, leaving the Google Voice tab open, too, and go to the OBiTALK portal page:  https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/.  Now,  delete your OBi off of your OBiTALK dashboard, wait a few minutes, then pick up the phone and (after the stutter tones) key in ***8 then 1 to confirm the factory defaults restore.

Then, after several minutes of LED flashing, when the power LED is on steady, click the Add device button on the OBiTALK dashboard, follow the **5 procedure to re-add it, and then set up Google Voice again, while logged onto the correct Gmail account that (supposedly) holds your Google Voice number.  

dbabits

Thanks Steve, I will do it later when I get home.
Need one clarification re :"while logged onto the correct Gmail account"..-
I have 2 gmail accounts, each one with its own GV number(since it's not possible to have 2 GV numbers on the same gmail account).

This setup worked.

Do you mean the same  browser where I'm logged in to Obitalk should be logged in to the correct gmail account at the time I'm doing **5 - is this important  ?

SteveInWA

The reason I posted that is:

I don't know how long ago you set up your Google Voice number(s) on your OBi, but the process changed a couple of years ago.  In ye olden days, users entered their Gmail user ID and password.  Google now requires that users instead use the more secure OAUTH 2.0 to authorize OBiTALK to access only the Chat (and Hangouts) service on your account, without storing your password on the portal or on the device. 

To do that, you need to be signed into the Google account that holds the number you want to use.  The best way to do that is to open two tabs in the same web browser, and to carefully examine the Gmail address(es) that it offers to use. 

So, delete the device off of the portal, wait, reset the device, add it back to the portal, wait, and then do the Google Voice setup for each of the two Google accounts.  The browser has cookies from Google pointing to the two accounts, even if you don't have a tab open, so it's vital to ensure you are using the right Google account to set up the OBi.

Note also, that after re-adding the OBi to the portal, Obihai might push the latest firmware update to the device if needed, which will cause more LED blinking and elapsed time before it's ready to configure with GV.

dbabits

Thanks a lot Steve.
This procedure helped.
The stutter tone is gone, and I can now call both ways.

A bit disconcerting that this happened, but at least I now know what to do for the next time!

Thanks again,

Dave.

SteveInWA

I would not expect the stutter tone to ever appear again.  That was a weird fluke.  I'm glad everything worked out!

dbabits

btw, forgot to mention-the device was not old, purchased about a month ago on amazon, and setup right away.
google account is also new.

but, whatever, it works againn