News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What's the least expensive CallCentric plan with E911?

Started by MikeP, June 08, 2012, 10:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeP

I want to use my ObiTalk with Google Voice as my primary, and Callcentric as my secondary, for 911 use only. I want to minimize my monthly CallCentric costs. I've read a lot of recommendations for this scheme, and they all seem to specify about $3 out of pocket a month, and a $1.50 setup fee. Here's one recommendation from this site, from back in April: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3112.0

I can't find a combination of services on CallCentric's site that would give me this, though. I see the North America 500: $7/mo with 911. The no-monthly-fee Pay Per Call plan says "No" in the 911 support box, but that "No" has an odd footnote: "911 cost recovery fee required for US and Canada customers". I see DID plans for $3/mo, which seem to require an extra 911 recovery fee, which might be tied to the footnote, above. Then there's free NY phone numbers, which also seem to require a 911 recovery fee.

I notice that CallCentric redid their rate plans in May. Did that break my plans? Is the secret the free phone numbers, which invokes a 911 recovery fee, which kicks in 911 support from the Pay Per Call plan? I'm all confused.

Ostracus

flex25

Mike, it's a little confusing how Callcentric structures their fees.  The NA 500 is an outbound calling plan; the free NY phone number and $2.95/mo Dirt Cheap DID are phone numbers for inbound calling.  If you want both outbound and inbound calling, you need to sign up for both of them separately.

For 911 only, you can get a free NY phone number or a Dirt Cheap DID and add 911 service.  I believe the cost would be $1.50 set up and $1.50/mo (which is the recovery fee) (for the free number) or $4.45/mo (for the Dirt Cheap DID).  This would give you an inbound number with unlimited inbound calling and 911 service.

You can add a pay per call option or a calling plan for outbound calling if you want that.  Their calling plans with minutes, like the NA 500, include 911 fees in them.

carl

I have this set up- 2 GV , one Localphone and one Callcentric. You can easily configure your Obi 202 to route all 911 calls through Callcentric.
The set up fee for 911 is $ 1.50 plus 1.50 per month, which means that the first charge will be $ 3.- which is just about the only confusing thing.
The NYC incoming numbers are free indeed- with unlimited incoming minutes. For outgoing calls, the best thing for you is what I did - pay per minute outgoing plan. You also can sign up for free Voice mail.
Callcentric is far more than just 911. Way more reliable than Google Voice ( and most other VOIP) and better call quality. You can also do things like 3 o 4 way calling. And while the international calling rates are higher than Localphone's, there are a few which are actually lower and one of them I will be using.
For 1.50/month, it us a great deal.

MikeP

Thanks all. I ordered a free number, and I see a $3 fee for 911 recovery. I'm hearing from you all that that fee will drop to $1.50 a month (though I'd survive paying $3/mo too).

I'm new to the SIP VOIP world, having previously used only my cable provider's VOIP services (soon to be dropped) and Google Voice. I plan to use Google Voice in the main, if only because I've had a GV number for years, and the New York free number may confuse folks. I'll experiment, though, with the Pay Per Call plan.

I do wonder how providers like Callcentric make any money off me, for $1.50 a month, much of which I imagine goes to regulators. Is there some sweetheart deal with the NY telcos, given that Callcentric is based in NY? Or less cynically, it could be a loss-leader plan, I suppose.

tome

I have had CallCentric for e911 only since last fall.  It works fine for me.  I have GV on SP1 as my main incoming number (I ported my home # to GV).  And I have CC set up on SP2 for e911.  I recently (within last few weeks) got a free NY number from CC for the sole purpose of getting Callerid with Name when people ring my GV number.  It has been working great so far.  I forward all incoming GV calls to the CC number and when my house phones ring I have CNAM.  Also, I should add that since I already had e911 service on my account I was charged nothing additional when I added the free NY number.

I am paying $1.50/mo (grand total) for this.  I did pay the initial (additional) $1.50 setup fee, so unless something has changed your monthly will be $1.50.

I am quite happy with CC in terms of their web user interface, their customer service, and certainly their price.  I would put them high on my list of consideration for for-fee services (outbound calling) if the need arises.  In terms of customer service I have always had an answer to an open trouble ticket within 24hrs, usually less, and they always respond more quickly than that to follow up questions in the same ticket.  So far my only tickets have been opened for inquiries on other services, not for any trouble (I have had none).

Just my $1.50 worth  ;D
Tom

Heather

The OBI FAQ now has Anveo listed as an e911 provider. I recently added that service for .80 per month. Their website is complicated because it seems to be designed for call centers and other business uses, but the online customer support helped me to figure out where to go and how to get it set up.

JohnBowler

Look at voip.ms too.  When I checked it out the cost was about $2.50/month; 99c for the phone number and $1.49 for the e911.

Still, I'm not sure it's worth it, I have a cell phone (albeit a Telestial one) and it works everywhere, not just at home.  So far as I know you can carry a timed out or disconnected cellphones and use that; so long as it has a SIM it still can dial 911 I think?

John Bowler <jbowler@acm.org>

Rick

Quote from: JohnBowler on June 25, 2012, 06:28:14 PM
Look at voip.ms too.  When I checked it out the cost was about $2.50/month; 99c for the phone number and $1.49 for the e911.

Still, I'm not sure it's worth it, I have a cell phone (albeit a Telestial one) and it works everywhere, not just at home.  So far as I know you can carry a timed out or disconnected cellphones and use that; so long as it has a SIM it still can dial 911 I think?

John Bowler <jbowler@acm.org>

E911 doesn't currently work with cellphones, so your location isn't given to the dispatcher by the system.  Neither does GV, that's the reason to get the Callcentric E911 service.  They setup your address in a database that gives the dispatcher your information when you call.

jimates

Is it possible to get one of the free NY DIDs from CallCentric without 911 service?

I want to put a free did on my Obi202 for CNAM function. But I don't need their 911 service.

QBZappy

jim,

Yes if you answer that you are not in Canada/USA.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jimates

too late for that I guess.
I guess I can register another account and answer differently.

After I click the link in email verification it asks for contact info which includes City, State Postal Code and Country.
what should I put in there.

EDIT:
Ok I got it set up.

Now how to configure CC on the Obi, don't give me a link to a thread, LOL.

EDIT AGAIN:
Just received my first call on the free DID. That was too easy.
I guess if I try to place a call on that trunk it will just go nowhere since there is no money on the account?

Should I uncheck google chat as a forwarding phone in google voice?

mjstallion

jim,

According to other threads, you're supposed to uncheck the Google chat box.

By the way, once you have it set up would you mind posting a review about how many rings it takes for GV to forward your call to callcentric?  I (and surely there are others) would really like their CNAM but haven't signed up because of concerns about the delay.

carl

jimates : To my knowledge you have to pay the 911 service. You do not have to use it. The fee DID is only available for North American customers.