News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calling Home (OBI 100) from my Cell Phone, does not allow

Started by DonB, June 10, 2012, 07:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonB

I just realized when I try to call my OBI 100 which is set up for Google Voice from my cell phone, it does not allow me to call home, it wants my pin # to access my voice mail. I use to have my calls forwarded to my cell, but have since unchecked that, I have also stop using GV for my cell phone voice mails, so there should be no reason why I cannot call home now from my cell, now this is not a big issue as I usually call my wife on her cell, but if there is an emergency I would like to be able to contact the home number. Any suggestions to by pass this, I did try *67 from my cell to mask the call coming from my cell and it did not work. please advise.  >:(

Stewart

In your GV settings, Phones tab, under the entry for your cell phone, click Edit, then click Show advanced settings.  Under "Direct access to voicemail ...", click No, then click Save.

DonB

I do not have that option in there, am I missing something ??

Edit, MY bad, I missed it, figured it out

DonB

Duhh, LOL I just found and figured it out, sorry for the confusion, LOL if I had brains I would be dangerous

So by doing this, I assume I cannot use the GV voice mail message for my cell phone, since I turned that feature off ??

Stewart

I don't believe that changing the "Direct access to voicemail" setting will in any way affect how calls from outside callers (any number not associated with your GV account) will be handled.

However, I don't understand what behavior you desire.  If you have unchecked forwarding to your mobile, then your mobile won't ring at all, though (if you don't answer at home) callers could still leave messages on your GV voicemail.

You can set up Groups in GV so some callers would ring to your mobile and others not, but if you want the caller to have the choice of whether s/he rings your mobile or not, you would have to set up a separate GV account and number for your home phone.

DonB

GV mail works fine, no issues, I thought by turning that feature off, I would not be able to use the Vmail feature, but it works fine, TIA.  I did  not want my mobile phone to ring at the same time as the house phone, nor did I want it to transfer to my cell if not answered at home on the OBI 100, because sometimes the wife is at home and I am at work, and it would be annoying to have those features implemented, if the call was for her and I answered before she did, lol

DonB

OK, I thought I had this figured out, but here is what I want and thought I had it working properly until my wife tried to call me this morning on the OBI 100 (Home line)

Here is what I want, and let me know what the proper configuration is, or if it at least possible, I want to use GV mail for my cell, but use the OBI 100 for the house number for incoming and outgoing calls.

Here is what I had it configured to, I would have the *28 to my cell number, to allow GV mail to be my Cell phone carrier voicemail. Then I had the GV settings to forward calls to my cell number. In the advance settings, I had the forward options to go straight to voicemail.

The issue is, when the GV is set to be forwarded to my cell number, and you call the OBI 100 it rings on both phone, which I do not want, with that same config, if I *28 to the cell then I get to use GV mail for my cell, but then you cannot call the house line, it has a fast busy signal. Hope I did not confuse anyone.

The only way i am able to get the GV and OBI 100 to work properly but not get the GV mail service for my cell, is, deactivate the *38 from my cell, and take the forward calls to my GV number, then all works fine for incoming and outgoing calls.

DonB

Damn, I thought someone would have a solution, or at least something to say, LOL  :-*

DonB

I figured out what to do, is setup my cell on a different GV account, and this way I will have the best of both worlds, will have to set up my greeting again, LOL

DonB

Since I would change the number on OBI to a new GV number, is it easy to change, then I can set up my current GV # back to my cell, do I have to setup the whole OBI 100 all over again, or simply change the number to the new GV number on the OBI 100, please advise

infin8loop

Quote from: DonB on June 13, 2012, 12:05:50 PM
Since I would change the number on OBI to a new GV number, is it easy to change, then I can set up my current GV # back to my cell, do I have to setup the whole OBI 100 all over again, or simply change the number to the new GV number on the OBI 100, please advise

On the Obi100 configuration go to Voice Services -> SPx Service -> SIP Credentials ->
                        and enter the AuthUserName and AuthPassword for the new GV account, save, and reboot.

Where SPx is either SP1 or SP2 wherever Google Voice is defined.

I used to work with a DonB that owned a dark blue metallic Monte Carlo with a dove grey interior and DonniB license plate.  That description was a running gag of sorts. He was quite a character. Probably not him, but it would be hilarious if you are. With this confusing thread, I'd believe it!  

"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

DonB

ROLMAO, nope not me, lol TIA for the info, I will try it now and see, when you say reboot, do you mean the OBI 100 unit, like in unplugging it ??

Quote from: infin8loop on June 13, 2012, 02:01:51 PM
Quote from: DonB on June 13, 2012, 12:05:50 PM

On the Obi100 configuration go to Voice Services -> SPx Service -> SIP Credentials ->
                        and enter the AuthUserName and AuthPassword for the new GV account, save, and reboot.

Where SPx is either SP1 or SP2 wherever Google Voice is defined.

I used to work with a DonB that owned a dark blue metallic Monte Carlo with a dove grey interior and DonniB license plate.  That description was a running gag of sorts. He was quite a character. Probably not him, but it would be hilarious if you are. With this confusing thread, I'd believe it!  

infin8loop

Quote from: DonB on June 13, 2012, 03:28:10 PM
ROLMAO, nope not me, lol TIA for the info, I will try it now and see, when yolu say reboot, do you mean the OBI 100 unit, like in unplugging it ??

If you configure the OBi using the local web interface there is a "Submit" button at the bottom of the pages which must be clicked on each page to save changes on that page and a "Reboot" button at the top right that applies all the changes by rebooting the OBi.  

The OBiTalk portal will reboot (power cycle) the OBi when the "Submit" button on a page is clicked in some or all of the wizards.  I don't recall how "OBi Expert Configuration" handles it.  If there is a "Reboot" button it would need to be clicked to apply everything that has been changed.

I don't suggest unplugging the OBi.

Note: I see you got it...  great.  I was distracted while composing my reply.
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

DonB

Yes I got it by simply changing the username and password, and then submitting, there was no reboot button top right, maybe I am looking into a difference place, but I am using the web interface of the OBI, see picture below, all I did was submit, waited a minute as it mentioned, then hit F5 and refreshed the whole page, and voila it work right away, said connected

Quote from: infin8loop on June 13, 2012, 04:12:17 PM
Quote from: DonB on June 13, 2012, 03:28:10 PM
ROLMAO, nope not me, lol TIA for the info, I will try it now and see, when yolu say reboot, do you mean the OBI 100 unit, like in unplugging it ??

If you configure the OBi using the local web interface there is a "Submit" button at the bottom of the pages which must be clicked on each page to save changes on that page and a "Reboot" button at the top right that applies all the changes by rebooting the OBi.  

The OBiTalk portal will reboot (power cycle) the OBi when the "Submit" button on a page is clicked in some or all of the wizards.  I don't recall how "OBi Expert Configuration" handles it.  If there is a "Reboot" button it would need to be clicked to apply everything that has been changed.

I don't suggest unplugging the OBi.

Note: I see you got it...  great.  I was distracted while composing my reply.

DonB

Since I am using my voice mail from my phone, then I assume I don't need to have the Google Voice mail notification to be check marked ??

QBZappy

Quote from: DonB on June 13, 2012, 05:11:30 PM
but I am using the web interface of the OBI, see picture below,

FYI the screen capture you showed us is not considered to be the web interface of the OBi. That is the OBiTALK web portal. The unit web interface can be viewed by browsing to the ip address of the unit.

Quote from: DonB on June 13, 2012, 05:19:22 PM
Since I am using my voice mail from my phone, then I assume I don't need to have the Google Voice mail notification to be check marked ??

That is correct.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

DonB

Interesting, I thought there was something funny, how do I find the IP address of the unit ??

Quote from: QBZappy on June 13, 2012, 05:33:23 PM
Quote from: DonB on June 13, 2012, 05:11:30 PM
but I am using the web interface of the OBI, see picture below,

FYI the screen capture you showed us is not considered to be the web interface of the OBi. That is the OBiTALK web portal. The unit web interface can be viewed by browsing to the ip address of the unit.

Quote from: DonB on June 13, 2012, 05:19:22 PM

That is correct.

DonB

OK, figured it out, you dial ***1 from your phone and it gives you your IP address, got it thanks guys

DonB

Anything in the portal that should be tweaked for better quality, any suggestion, the other day talking to my sister, there was garble for about 15 seconds, wonder if there are tweaks to be done.