News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi w/ Google Voice and Google Voice w/o Obi

Started by TheTank1978, June 11, 2012, 07:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTank1978

Currently my family has MagicJack (probably not for much longer based on what I have seen with this so far)... I am also working from home a bit (more than I used to and hopefully more in the future). Currently I have to either use MagicJack for my work calls (problems with sound quality and personal calls coming in) or use Google voice - better sound and no personal calls. MagicJack takes over my Voip ports so Google Voice can't get through, so I have to shut down the machine with MagicJack to get Google Voice to receive phone calls.

My question is, will I run into the same problem with Obi? I want my family to be able to make and take phone calls from the house phone, and me be able to make and take phone calls from my computer with out it conflicting.

Or will I need to get 2 Obi units to be able to accomodate what I am looking to do?

jimates

In order to use google voice from the computer, you will have to use an alternate method besides opening the gmail account associated with the Obi. This is what the Obion from PC is for.

Very few people have reported success using both gmail and the Obi at the same time.

TheTank1978

Would I have better success using 2 separate gmail accounts/numbers?

pc44

Hi TheTank1978,

I think what jimates is saying is that you could get an OBI100 or OBI110 and then install the OBiON PC program on your computer (with a SIP softphone like X-Lite).  That way, you could use the OBI for your house phones and use the PC software on your computer as well.

However.... you might also want to check out the new OBI202.  It's almost two OBIs in one.  It comes with 2 Phone Ports with support for up to 4 GV accounts!  :)

pc44

jimates

Quote from: TheTank1978 on June 11, 2012, 08:19:06 AM
Either 2 different GV numbers, or a different program (such as the Obion for PC) other than GMail to access your GV number (at the same time as the Obi) on the computer.

Frankfone

But if it is of any value, Magicjack has now Magicjack Plus which connects directly to the router and the AC and does not need the computer. Yes, it costs $70 and you can transfer the current number to it ( yes, more money!)
You can also disconnect the main telephone line from the house and connect the Magicjack to any RJ11 outlet and all the phones in the house ring.

RDI-Steven

Quote from: TheTank1978 on June 11, 2012, 08:19:06 AM

Get the Obi202.. 2-line unit. Connect 2 Google Voice numbers. Use one for business and one for personal.. Connect the base of a 2-line cordless phone with multiple handsets.

Having been there, this is the best way.