News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Configuring Intercom phone line into Obi202

Started by ruftytufty, June 11, 2012, 02:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruftytufty

Hi,

I've got an Obi202.

Standard phone connected to Phone 1 port.
Google Voice connected to ring the Phone 1 port, and also as the outgoing service for Phone 1.

The problem:
I have a Sentex gate intercom that expects to be connected to a regular phone. Visitor hits "Call" on the intercom, it rings the phone, and I push a button on the phone to open the gate.

The goal is to have the intercom button ring the phones connected to the 202. Even nicer would be having the ring roll over to the Google Voice service (so I could open the gate remotely, if I'm not home).

I've seen the posts on using an intercom with an Obi110, but I bought the 202 before moving here. It doesn't have a "Line" port; rather has 2 Phone ports. Is it possible to set up what I want using a 202?

If so, please give me some guidance.

If I need to, I can get one of the earlier models instead.

Thanks!

Stewart

Quote from: ruftytufty on June 11, 2012, 02:35:02 PMIs it possible to set up what I want using a 202?
Probably not.

Possibly, your gate intercom can be configured to connect to a phone line instead (as would be typical in a multi-unit dwelling, or if the door were controlled by a guard at a remote location); check the manual.  In that case, you could connect it to the second port of the OBi202, and remote access would be possible.

Or, your intercom may have a passthrough feature such that the same phone could be used with both intercom and a normal phone line (you'd connect the OBi instead). (Remote access would be unavailable.)

You could use two-line phones, with one port connected to the OBi and the other to the intercom.  Or, connect a separate phone to the intercom, such as an old corded phone that you are not presently using. (Obviously, no remote access.)

There are devices intended to bridge two phone lines, but they are more expensive than an OBi110.  Possibly, you can find a used one at a good price on eBay, etc.

Otherwise, you'll need to get an OBi110.

Model number of your intercom?

ruftytufty

Quote from: Stewart on June 11, 2012, 03:08:34 PM
Quote from: ruftytufty on June 11, 2012, 02:35:02 PMIs it possible to set up what I want using a 202?
Probably not.

Possibly, your gate intercom can be configured to connect to a phone line instead (as would be typical in a multi-unit dwelling, or if the door were controlled by a guard at a remote location); check the manual.  In that case, you could connect it to the second port of the OBi202, and remote access would be possible.

Model number of your intercom?

I haven't been able get the model # of the intercom yet, however ...

It definitely is designed to be hooked up to a regular phone line. Can even be hooked directly to a regular phone, and will ring it (and respond to the proper open keypress command), even if there's no dial tone. I've tested the direct connection of a phone to the intercom line, and it works fine.

So, given that, how do I configure the 202 so an incoming call from the intercom (say on Phone2), rings the phones on Phone1? Ideally, rolls over to the mobile phone tied to Google Voice, but simultaneous ringing would be OK.

Stewart

I assume that the intercom would take the line off hook and dial a number.  You could program that number to be a speed dial, e.g. 2# and set the speed dial entry to loop back into the OBi.  If SP2 is set up for SIP, e.g. Callcentric or Anveo for 911 and as a backup, then the speed dial could be sp2(1234@127.0.0.1:5061), which would now loop back into the OBi as an incoming call.  The inbound call route for SP2 would recognize the 1234 and treat it differently from normal calls from your SIP provider.  You'd use something like
{>1234:ph1,sp1(12123456789;d=10)},{ph1}
which says ring Phone port 1, then call 2123456789 (your cell phone) after 10 seconds (the Phone port continues to ring).  Other SP2 calls would just ring Phone port 1.

IMO, don't bother getting this to work, until you know for sure how the intercom behaves and what options you have there.  Also, it would be nice not to "burn" Phone port 2 just for the intercom, as you could use it for making and receiving calls while your wife is on the phone.  Such dual use is probably possible, but depends on some details about the intercom that are not yet known.

ruftytufty

Thanks - that's very helpful.

Right now, the intercom is set up to be directly connected to a phone, and just takes the line off hook and rings the phone, if I'm understanding it correctly. However, it seems like a pretty sophisticated unit, and only about 8 years old. So, may also be able to dial a number.

I'll work on getting the model # and manual for the unit, so I have a better understanding of what it can do, and how to change the programming if needed.