News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using obi as asterisk extension

Started by leon, June 14, 2012, 07:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leon

Hi All,

I'm really confused here.. I can't seem to get my Obi100 or Obi110 to work as an extension for my trixbox/asterisk server.  I was planning on simply using the obi's as ATAs (I hope that's the correct terminology).

I set up my own trixbox server and using zoiper/x-lite from PCs, zoiper on iPhone, csipSimple on Android, and even Nortel i2002 phones work fine, but I can't get the Obi to work as simply another extension.

I mean, I normally just have to enter a server, userid, password for a sip device and everything is good, but either I can't register, or it says registered, but doesn't call out.

Do I have to go through the expert configuration and start tweaking lots of little things?

Ports are opened on my router (many devices work as I wrote above).

I use voip.ms for my trunk.

I read Michigan's blog and setup for Obi's and his setup instructions for SIP are basically as I wrote: server, uid, pwd.

I would really appreciate any starting points in figuring this out.

Thanks

leon

Would problems occur because my asterisk server and the obi's are on the same network?  Do we need to have certain ports opened for the obi to work properly with an asterisk server?

I'll be moving my asterisk server to another location later, but would like to do debugging while everything is here.

Thanks

pc44

Hi leon,

Asterisk is not something I know much about, but since there seem to be no other responses to your posts, let's at least take a shot at it. :)

Setting up SIP on the OBI should be pretty simple and straightforward, as you said.  You mentioned that you entered the server, user id, and password.  For the server, are you pointing to an asterisk box *inside* the same network as your OBI?  If so, could you use a local IP address for the server address instead?  I know it should not make a difference in theory, but if you are referencing the asterisk box from a fqdn like something.something.org, perhaps the router is not handling the WAN/LAN redirect properly.  Maybe using a local internal network address would help for now.  Just a thought.

For the asterisk box, I'm assuming you've already double-checked the SIP port setting on your OBI to make sure it matches up with your settings on the asterisk (i.e. 5060).

Quote from: leon on June 14, 2012, 07:59:30 PMDo I have to go through the expert configuration and start tweaking lots of little things?

If you do opt to configure it this way, there should not be too much to do, as MT's blog stated:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A/B/etc -> SIP -> ProxyServer
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A/B/etc -> SIP -> OutboundProxy
Voice Services -> SP1/2/etc Service -> AuthUserName
Voice Services -> SP1/2/etc Service -> AuthPassword
... and the outboundproxy is probably optional.

If you can give us some feedback or an update on your status, that would help.  Also, trying to test the system out within your network may help to determine if the router's firewall is playing any games on us.

Thanks,
pc44