News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trusted Callers not getting through to SIP voicemail

Started by FreddyK, June 20, 2012, 02:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreddyK

Newbie here. Recently purchased and configured my obi100 to google voice and FPL. Everything was working as far as inbound and outbound calls. If inbound calls were not picked up, they would go to voicemail (either google or fpl). So my next step was to set up a few Trusted Callers. That went well, except if the trusted caller presses 1 to continue the call, the phone rings (which is good obviously), but if the call is not answered, voicemail does not pick up (regardless of whether the call is to my google voice number, or my FPL number). Ideas?

infin8loop

Quote from: FreddyK on June 20, 2012, 02:40:57 PM
Newbie here. Recently purchased and configured my obi100 to google voice and FPL. Everything was working as far as inbound and outbound calls. If inbound calls were not picked up, they would go to voicemail (either google or fpl). So my next step was to set up a few Trusted Callers. That went well, except if the trusted caller presses 1 to continue the call, the phone rings (which is good obviously), but if the call is not answered, voicemail does not pick up (regardless of whether the call is to my google voice number, or my FPL number). Ideas?

Think about it for a second.  For the Trusted Callers, the inbound call is being answered -- by the Obi Auto Attendant.  The Obi Auto Attendant makes the announcement and simply rings the attached phone when 1 is pressed and passes the call through to the phone when it's picked up.  As far as the provider knows, the call has been answered and voicemail won't kick in.  I can't think of a way around this but maybe someone else will or already has.

Update: Inspired by a post by Stewart in response to a different issue: 

Your trusted callers could try blocking caller ID (dialing *67 before your number) if they want to talk to you directly.  The Obi would not know they are "trusted" and ring through (No Auto Attendant pickup) as normal and if not answered the provider's voicemail should kick in.  If this works it will probably be quicker in the end than reaching the Obi attendant and pressing 1 to ring through.  If they need the attendant functions (2 and 3) the trusted callers would call and omit the *67.  Yeah. it's a pain.

"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

FreddyK

Quote from: infin8loop on June 20, 2012, 04:18:58 PM

Think about it for a second.  For the Trusted Callers, the inbound call is being answered -- by the Obi Auto Attendant. As far as the provider knows, the call has been answered and voicemail won't kick in.  

Good point!

Your trusted callers could try blocking caller ID (dialing *67 before your number) if they want to talk to you directly.  The Obi would not know they are "trusted" and ring through (No Auto Attendant pickup) as normal and if not answered the provider's voicemail should kick in..... Yeah. it's a pain.

but it'll do!

Thanks for takin the time!

FreddyK

Your trusted callers could try blocking caller ID (dialing *67 before your number) if they want to talk to you directly.  The Obi would not know they are "trusted" and ring through (No Auto Attendant pickup) as normal and if not answered the provider's voicemail should kick in.  If this works it will probably be quicker in the end than reaching the Obi attendant and pressing 1 to ring through.  If they need the attendant functions (2 and 3) the trusted callers would call and omit the *67.  Yeah. it's a pain.

*67 does in fact work.

_David_

Quote from: FreddyK on June 22, 2012, 05:17:41 AM

*67 does in fact work.

Hi,

I just discovered this "feature," that AA /answers/ the call.  If these "trusted" folk /forget/ to block caller ID, they can enter "2" at the AA prompt, then reenter your DID/number + # and that should deliver them to SIP voicemail.

rgds,
David