News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New to Obi, quick question about voice mail feature

Started by upfish, June 24, 2012, 04:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upfish

Just switched from vonage to obi110 today, absolutely love it so far. Both incoming/outgoing calls worked smoothy without a problem! But now, my question is is there anyway to check the voice mail on the landline device, or the only possible to check voicemail is to login into my Google Voice account through PC?

Additionally, I can not get rid of the voicemail indicator in my phone, even though I have deleted the voicemail from the Google Voice control panel - any ideas.

Thanks!

Stewart

If you dial your own GV number from the phone connected to the OBi, it should take you right to the voicemail retrieval menu.  To make this more convenient, set a speed dial in your phone or on the OBi.

Having nothing to do with the OBi, you can set up GV so voicemails get sent to you by email and/or SMS.

If you have a stutter dial tone with no messages waiting (in addition to the visual message indicator), try clearing out missed calls as well as voicemail on GV.  Otherwise, try manually clearing the phone's message indicator (see the manual for your phone).

upfish

Thanks for the insight, the voicemail indicator light problem is now fixed! Just to clarify my first question, I want to check my voicemail on the phone rather than in the GV control panel on PC, is there anyways to accomplish that?

Stewart

Quote from: upfish on June 24, 2012, 04:59:59 PMJust to clarify my first question, I want to check my voicemail on the phone rather than in the GV control panel on PC, is there anyways to accomplish that?
Huh?  I believe that I answered that, in plain English, in the first paragraph of the original reply.

If you're saying that it's not working, please post a detailed description of the trouble, e.g. "I always get a busy signal", "my cell phone rings", "I get the menu, but key presses have no effect", etc.

JohnBowler

One issue with the Obi is that it supports multiple service provides, if, like me, you don't use GV for outgoing calls then ringing your own number won't get you to the GV voicemail.  In this case you need to explicitly select GV for the service provider before calling your own number by entering the wacky key sequence **<gv> where <gv> is the number of the GV service in your configuration:

**1xxxxxxx

for example (as opposed to just xxxxxxx, where the x's are the digits of your phone number.)  This causes the Obi to use GV (service provider 1, "SP1") to call you which causes GV in its turn to ask for your voicemail password.

Bleugh, horrible.

Personally, I find it easier to just use www.google.com/voice.  It's much easier to use.

John Bowler <jbowler@acm.org>

Danielle

Hi Stewart,

I have something similar happening on my phone that's connected to my Obi, and I was wondering if you could help me.  I've cleared out all voicemails and call history in my Google voice account, turned OFF my answering system on my land line phone, and Deleted all old messages from my land line phone (there were none there to delete, but did so on the device itself anyway).  However, on the main screen of my phone, it shows "new voicemail".  What's peculiar is that I honestly can't figure out why the phone thinks there's a voicemail.  The base of this device shows 0 messages, and like I said, my google voice account has been wiped clean of all calls and voicemails.

Do you have any ideas?  I can't imagine why the handset of my phone is pulling a voicemail from, as my GV number has none, and even the base shows a count of 0.

Any help you can give would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Danielle

Stewart

Quote from: Danielle on July 27, 2012, 06:30:51 PM... on the main screen of my phone, it shows "new voicemail". 
When you pick up the phone, do you get a "stutter" dial tone?  If so, GV somehow thinks you have a message; try deleting an Missed calls, or try leaving yourself a message and then deleting it.  If no luck, log into the OBi and check the state of MessageWaiting for SP1 and SP2; manually uncheck any that are on.

If you get regular dial tone, your phone is likely out of sync with its base.  Your phone's manual should tell you how to manually reset the voicemail indicator.

Danielle

Hi there,

Yes- I get a "stutter" dial tone.  I did already delete all missed calls, and I also left myself a voicemail and deleted it.  I still have this indicator.  You said to then go into my Obi to check the state of "Messagewaiting".  How do I do this?

I'm new to Obi, so I'm sorry if that is obvious.  I went into my Obi Dashboard and selected SP1 and SP2 and didn't see anything about MessageWaiting on that page.

Thanks in advance,
D

jimates

from your dashboard go into the expert configuration.

Check the Physical Interfaces -> PHONE -> Calling Features for the message waiting settings
MWIEnable
VMWIEnable

anything unread in your inbox at google voice, no matter how old, will keep the VM indicator from clearing. If there is a number next to your inbox, that means there are unread messages.

Novice

I think these settings
QuoteMWIEnable
VMWIEnable
prevent your OBI from ever giving a voicemail indictor/stutter.

I think what you want is, logging into the OBI directly using it's IP address,
Voice Services -> Sp 1/2 Service -> MessageWaiting

However, i'm not sure if this helps reset it either. My VM/stutter was stuck on, and this value was checked for my SP2 FPL line, even though i had no messages on that line - anyone know why this would be?
I unchecked it, and now it won't give an indicator/stutter for that line even after I get new messages.
How can I get it to work again - should its default box be checked?

Jackson

The GV VM is a royal pain.  I have a separate Gmail account for my number.  I use a no longer updated app that runs in my tray that checks this account.  When a message comes in I get a popup and a G appears.  I can click on it and it takes me to that inbox.  Clearing them all there is not enough, I have to then log into Google Voice and also clear them there.

Does this sound right?

Novice

Quote from: Novice on January 24, 2014, 08:38:55 AM
I think these settings
QuoteMWIEnable
VMWIEnable
prevent your OBI from ever giving a voicemail indictor/stutter.

I think what you want is, logging into the OBI directly using it's IP address,
Voice Services -> Sp 1/2 Service -> MessageWaiting

However, i'm not sure if this helps reset it either. My VM/stutter was stuck on, and this value was checked for my SP2 FPL line, even though i had no messages on that line - anyone know why this would be?
I unchecked it, and now it won't give an indicator/stutter for that line even after I get new messages.
How can I get it to work again - should its default box be checked?

The resolution was not to clear this flag, but to set it to device default. That fixed the problem, however, every few days it gets stuck on again for one of the SPs, and needs to be reset to device default again.