News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting up OBi202/wireless adapter to work in a new WiFi Network w/o a computer.

Started by Robin, June 24, 2012, 08:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin

I would like to be able to setup the OBi202 (with wireless USB adapter) to operate in a different WiFi Network without having to drag along my laptop computer.  For example, if I were planning a vacation at an out-of-state hotel, it would be wonderful if I could take my "wireless" OBi202 and an analog phone along so I could make landline calls from the hotel without having to use the hotel phone system.

Normally, one would use a computer to "select" the desired wireless network on behalf of the OBi202, plug in a corded analog phone, and then be free to make unlimited "landline" phone calls at will using Google Voice, etc.  The problem is, I don't really want to drag a $2,000 laptop with me just for the one-time purpose of setting up the OBi202 in the new network environment.  I was hoping I could simply "simulate" the SSID and Password of the hotel's/starbuck's/McDonald's wireless network at home, select that network while still at home, and then be able to operate the OBi202 in the new wireless network having the same SSID and Password without needing a computer to do the selection.  (I understand that AT&T has a welcome screen that initially poses an obstacle, but AT&T informs me that they can waive that screen with a simple phone call.)

I tried this method at a local diner which has an ordinary, cable-based WiFi Network (without a welcome screen), but was unsuccessful.  Someone mentioned that it would never work because I also needed to select an IP Address.  I have absolutely no knowledge about this area of electronics or computers and would appreciate some help.  In particular, I would like to understand why this procedure fails to work and whether or not there is any other way to get it to work without having to lug my computer around with me.

In the event that a computer IS required, would it be possible to use an inexpensive tablet (with a USB connection) in lieu of the computer?  Would it be a major obstacle for the Obihai people to program the OBi to be able to select a network by using the corded phone's touch tones instead of a computer?

Thank you!

Robin

pc44

Quote from: Robin on June 24, 2012, 08:05:05 PMI would like to be able to setup the OBi202 (with wireless USB adapter) to operate in a different WiFi Network without having to drag along my laptop computer.

Hi Robin,

I don't see why this wouldn't work.  For example, if you are able to set up your OBI202 successfully at your home/office using WiFi there, how is this much different?  You can unplug your OBI202 and phone and leave your home/office.  Then, return another day, plug everything in, and voila! you're connected.  So, I think your idea of a pre-configured WiFi network setting should work.

Quote from: Robin on June 24, 2012, 08:05:05 PMNormally, one would use a computer to "select" the desired wireless network on behalf of the OBi202, plug in a corded analog phone, and then be free to make unlimited "landline" phone calls at will using Google Voice, etc.

As long as you configure the ObiWiFi exactly/precisely for the public WiFi network that you are going to use, this should work.  Also, you might try setting the Obi202 to use the specified Access Point Configuration that you want to use at the public location:
OBiWiFi Configuration -> WiFi Settings -> Basic Settings -> PreferredAccessPoint

Also, under OBiWiFi Configuration -> WiFi Settings -> Internet Settings, I would stick with DHCP for AddressingType, and I would also hard-code the DNSServer1 and DNSServer2.  You could use Google's Public DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, respectively.

Quote from: Robin on June 24, 2012, 08:05:05 PMSomeone mentioned that it would never work because I also needed to select an IP Address.

Unless you are relying on Port Forwarding inside your router, I do not see why you would need to "select" an IP address or assign a static one.  Google Voice should work on the OBIs without an internal static (or "selected") IP or router port forwarding.  Although some have mentioned benefits in the past of port forwarding for GV, I am under the impression that it should not be necessary for GV connectivity.

So... is there something else that we are missing here?  Do the public WiFis employ some sort of restrictions on usage?  Are they possibly blocking certain ports?  Have you tried this at two or more locations?  I do think it should work as you described.  So, there must be something else hindering us here. :(

pc44

QBZappy

Quote from: pc44 on June 25, 2012, 07:51:36 PM
As long as you configure the ObiWiFi exactly/precisely for the public WiFi network that you are going to use, this should work.  Also, you might try setting the Obi202 to use the specified Access Point Configuration that you want to use at the public location:
OBiWiFi Configuration -> WiFi Settings -> Basic Settings -> PreferredAccessPoint
pc44

I'm not sure that is always possible. As a last resort it may be necessary to ask the reception or some other guest to lend their computer so that the OBi202 can be setup.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

pc44

Quote from: QBZappy on June 25, 2012, 08:18:59 PM
Quote from: pc44 on June 25, 2012, 07:51:36 PM
pc44

I'm not sure that is always possible. As a last resort it may be necessary to ask the reception or some other guest to lend their computer so that the OBi202 can be setup.

By "exactly/precisely" I meant entering the public WiFi's SSID, Password, and any other necessary OBiWiFi settings, such as PreferredAccessPoint.  Do you think it would still not be possible, even with the correct configuration entered beforehand?

QBZappy

Quote from: pc44 on June 25, 2012, 08:27:20 PM
Do you think it would still not be possible, even with the correct configuration entered beforehand?

That's the unlikely part. I'm not certain they would give that info before you register into the hotel.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Robin

FYI:  I did set the Preferred Access Point, exact SSID, and exact Password for a local restaurant which uses standard Comcast Cable high speed internet access but was unable to make calls.  In essence, I duplicated the restaurant's WiFi environment at home, used my home computer to make the above-referenced settings, and it worked perfectly in that simulated setting at home.  But as soon as I transported the OBi202 to the restaurant with the same SSID/Password it completely failed to work.  I did not try any "hard coding" or make any other changes.  Can anyone explain to me what I am missing here?  I don't understand why it doesn't work?

I can't speak for hotels in general, but AT&T has a special division that provides technical support for people using their WiFi Networks at Starbuck's and McDonald's throughout the United States.  They did indicate that, although the SSID/Password was standardized everywhere, I would be still be unable to use the OBi in those environments because of a security "welcome screen" that requires input from a computer.  However, they also indicated that they would be happy to waive that security screen for me from their end if I called them upon arriving at the venue in question.  They told me that following this procedure would enable me to use the VOIP capabilities of the OBi202.   According to them, they do not have any other "blocks" that would affect my ability to use VOIP over their public WiFi Networks.

I believe that being able to use the OBi [which serves as my landline] at any Starbuck's, McDonald's, Barnes & Noble Bookstore, and the multitude of hotels offering free WiFi would greatly enhance the value of the OBi202.  I tried getting an answer to my question from the OBi technicians, but never received a direct response to my question.  I am pretty sure that a portable WiFi Hotspot would work.  But, of course, the point is not to have to incur major monthly charges for WiFi access when there are so many open WiFi access points available to the public.

There are many highly knowledgeable and experienced OBi owners on this Forum and I am still hopeful that someone out there will be able to provide an answer to my question.  Perhaps, even one of the senior OBi technicians will find the time to address this issue.

Ostracus

Quote from: Robin on June 26, 2012, 12:08:37 AM
I believe that being able to use the OBi [which serves as my landline] at any Starbuck's, McDonald's, Barnes & Noble Bookstore, and the multitude of hotels offering free WiFi would greatly enhance the value of the OBi202. 

It might, but from the POV of the hotspot provider it may not be such a great idea. Generally when mobile I just use a WiFi-enable cell phone with appropriate software (mine has this built-in) to make free calls. I only have to authenticate and click 'I agree" once.

Lavarock7

Any way we can use a smartphone to make a Wifi connection to the Obi202? If that connection could be working in advance (limited by a password or MAC address of the phone) then we could use the cellphone to continue the setup with the hotel SSID for the outbound internet connection.

My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Rick

Seems to me you're spending a lot of time trying to make free local calls when traveling, but want to bring your OBi for some reason, which shouldn't be necessary.  Here's some other options:

1) You can call through your OBi via the OBI Softphone app.  I don't use that, but that's what it's for.

2) Depending on your cellphone plan, you may have some type of "friends / circle" of numbers that are "free" to call or receive calls from.  If you do, designate your GV number as one of the numbers.  Then, using Google's GV app (or other apps), you can make all your calls via GV and not use minutes.

3) There are apps that allow you on some phones to make calls using a wifi network, such as GrooVe IP for Android phones, which uses your GV number. 

Do you really make that many calls that you're worried about using too many cell minutes?

Felix

Quote from: Rick on June 27, 2012, 06:05:13 AM
Do you really make that many calls that you're worried about using too many cell minutes?
I was wondering the same for "out-of-state" trips; however, if you travel internationally, ability to call US was a very big deal. Granted, I had a laptop, and it has a Lync client; so, using hotel WifFi was straightforward, and I essentially called the way as if I was in in the office. However, I also tried Google Voice client from my iPhone, and had no problems, either. AT&T was kind enough to alert when I was about to use data roaming (which I didn't); but as long as I was on WiFi, it didn't cost me anything extra.

So, getting OBi + adapter may be over-complicating things  ;)

chdyoung

I recently purchased an OBi202 with wireless adapter, and was surprised that there is no option to connect to any available open WiFi network.

Unless there is some advanced option that I did not find, the only way to connect the OBi202 with a wireless network is to connect a computer to the wired LAN port, open a web GUI, and select from a list of visible wireless networks (or enter the SSID of a hidden network), enter the password if needed, and then connect.

If the hotel requires that you open a web page on your wireless device prior to allowing internet access, you are out of luck because there is no provision for this in the OBi202.  

My wish list (but not holding my breath):
- if no remembered WiFi is available, have an option to automatically connect to an open WiFi with the strongest signal   ( no computer required except one time when setting this option).
- allow a wireless connection with a tablet or smart phone in order to set up a connection with a WiFi access point

guyinsb

Everyone may have figured this out by now, but a fairly simple technique to configuring the OBi202 wifi using just a smart phone of tablet is described on the page
http://obiconnect.com/wifi

I originally had trouble after configuring several SSID/pw pairs; still not sure what I was doing wrong,
but after a reset to defaults (***8 1), and configuring using an iPad with the above technique, then using only the
web admin interface, I now have two SSID/pw pairs configured, with good operational results.  You can turn off
the wifi router to which the OBi has connected, and in about a minute the OBi will connect to the secondary SSID.
Then reverse the power situation, and the OBi reconnects to the primary SSID.

Note; in the process, I did discover that if two wifi routers are using the same channel, the OBi has trouble connecting reliably.  My router and a neighbor's router were both using channel 11, which apparently was the cause of a problem.  When I switched my router to channel 1, the OBi connected very reliably.