News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Auto Attendant setup?

Started by pikach, June 25, 2012, 06:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikach

I'm starting to familirise myself to my obi202, Its pretty cool.
1 thing I cant figure out after reading the manual and forum, I would like to turn off google voice mail, after what ive read the only way to do that is by setting up the auto attendant.,
So I would like to setup my my device to pickup after 1 ring and then the auto attendant should say please hold while your call is being connected. then it should ring my phone till someone picks up.

Is there anywhere a step by step guide how I would do that? I dont really understand what they write about user1 user2 etc....

pc44

Hi pikach,

I am not aware of the possibility of doing exactly what you described.  For now, the only option I know is to simply enable the built-in Auto Attendant system.  This will provide the caller with a three-option menu.  Choosing the first option (by pressing 1) will connect the caller to you (until someone picks up).

To route all incoming calls from GV to the Obi's AA, you can try the following.  I'm using SP1 in this example, but you can use whichever SP Service your Google Voice is on.  You will also probably want to enable a PIN for security purposes if using the AA.  This should route all incoming calls on SP1 to the AA:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute -> aa
Voice Services -> Auto Attendant -> UsePIN -> Enable

To modify the time period after the ring before the AA answers, you can re-configure the following in milliseconds:

Voice Services -> Auto Attendant -> AnswerDelay ->

Your original idea is really a good one.  Unless someone else knows a way to implement it with current OBI options, it would make for a great submission in the Feature Request sub-forum, as it would eliminate google voicemail very nicely! :)
pc44

QBZappy

pikach,

Well the AA message can have a recording with anything you would like to say. The AA rings the phone port after repeating the message 3 times.

I can think of a few different ways you can play with people's minds to give them the impression that the OBi is answering the call as you intended. In all these tricks the caller will loose a few seconds of their life while waiting for the OBi to ring the phone port. Use your judgement to determine the length of the recordings if you go this route:

1) Try keeping the message short and be creative. Make it sound like the system is searching for you.
eg: Please wait while we locate pikach (that person)

2) Record a short ring-back sound. It will give the impression the phone is ringing while the AA cycles three times.

3) If you run a business, it might be a good opportunity to leave a short advert or message.

4) Record anything to kill a few seconds before the phone port can ring.  :)

Or you can use another call strategy using the idea of virtual extensions as I have described here. This should be a more direct way in reaching you or anyone else for that matter, as the call can be directed anywhere.

Re: 99 Virtual extensions available via the OBi (possible since v 1.30)
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1734.msg11140#msg11140
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

pc44

Quote from: QBZappy on June 25, 2012, 08:09:23 PM2) Record a short ring-back sound. It will give the impression the phone is ringing while the AA cycles three times.

I like this idea the best.  Would this then finally solve the ever-asked topic of avoiding Google's voicemail completely?

pc44

QBZappy

pc44,

It seems that jimates has found a workaround which somehow tricks GV into not using its VM system. If you check his recent posting you will find it. To date I don't think anyone has reported back being able to reproduce it.

The above mentioned method could certainly be another approach at avoiding the GV messaging system.

Personally I like the PBX with virtual extensions. It is more direct, and in the event if someone didn't understand the voice prompt it will ring the phone port after 3 cycles providing assurance that the call will ring through.

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

pc44

QBZappy,

Yes, I saw jimates' workaround, but as you said, it seems to "trick" the GV system.  I am very leery as to its long-term reliability.  It has the appearance of a "loophole" or "mistake" in the GV system.  Knowing Google, I would not be surprised if they discover this loophole and close it eventually.  Then again, it may well work for years to come!

I guess I just prefer the method(s) you referenced above.  By reducing the AnswerDelay in the AA Service, calls to a GV number would be very quickly answered by the AA.  After the AA plays a very short recording of a telephone ringing (3 times), the call is then sent to the phone port, etc.

Your PBX virtual extension post is also good.  As it seems to require additional touch-tone input by the caller, I think it will serve well in business/commercial environments.  It's nice to have all these options though.

pc44

QBZappy

Cross post

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3523.msg23485#msg23485

Quote from: QBZappy on June 25, 2012, 10:22:27 PM
pc44,

Since no one has figured out a way to do this programmatically, I think it might be possible to trick the OBi into submission by giving it what it wants by essentially giving it the press "1" to continue this call without user intervention. I'm suggesting that the initial AA announcement could be a recording of the "1" touch tone to simulate the pressing of that key. The DTMFMethod may need to be set to Inband.

Telephone Keypad » keypad_1.wav
http://www.freesound.org/people/soundplusdesign/sounds/66290/

I have not tested this.

pikach

Ok so this definitely seems to do the trick and it works excellent, thanks to everyone who helped.
Only issue I have now, is that I have to gv accounts, one goes to sp1 one goes to sp2.
now by both the numbers it reaches the Attendant and then when it passes to the phones it rings by both lines on the obi,
any way to make to setup that gv 1 should always go to line 1 even with AA, and gv2 should go to line 2?

QBZappy

pikach,

There were a few suggestions, just curious. What did you end up doing?

pikach

Your option number 2 from above

Quote from: QBZappy on June 25, 2012, 08:09:23 PM
2) Record a short ring-back sound. It will give the impression the phone is ringing while the AA cycles three times.

QBZappy

pikach,

I described another possible solution. If it works it is probably a more elegant solution from the point of view of the caller. Although it is a bit of a hack it could get the job done by ringing the phone port directly without the AA cycling 3 times. Do you think you might try this.

You can record your own sound file of the "1" touch tone or download a wav file from here.
Telephone Keypad » keypad_1.wav
http://www.freesound.org/people/soundplusdesign/sounds/66290/

See this thread:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3523.msg23485#msg23485