News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Will Google Voice be free in 2013

Started by jeff@jeffmusto.com, June 29, 2012, 04:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

I can sleep much easier now, this had me up for days...  :D

carl

I noticed that they completely avoided the expression " Google Voice"  ???

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: carl on December 26, 2012, 04:34:59 PM
I noticed that they completely avoided the expression " Google Voice"  ???
I noticed that also. Another odd thing is they announced this in the gmail blog but not in the Google Voice blog.

ShermanObi

(Just FYI)

The Free Calling Thru 2012 announcement was also a Gmail blog post -- The announcement was cross-posted on the GV blog.

QBZappy

Something wrong with that year. 2012? That seems to be last year's announcement.

http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.ca/2011/12/free-calling-within-us-and-canada.html
Posted 13th December 2011 by A Googler
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Nervpop

The situation regarding free calling is confusing. In December-2010 and in December-2011, Google announced that the following year would have free calling. Those announcements were posted in the official Google Voice blog. But when Google made that same type of announcement in December-2012, it was posted only in the official Gmail blog, and it did not mention Google Voice. So does the December-2012 announcement apply only to Gmail users and not to Google Voice users? And should Obihai users therefore be worried about will happen to free calling after December 31, 2012?

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Nervpop on December 27, 2012, 04:41:14 AM
.... But when Google made that same type of announcement in December-2012, it was posted only in the official Gmail blog, and it did not mention Google Voice. ...

2012 announcement was in the GV blog: http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/free-calling-within-us-and-canada.html

Nervpop

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on December 27, 2012, 06:23:01 AM
2012 announcement...

The phrase "2012 announcement" in CoalMinerRetired's post is so ambiguous that it's meaningless. It could mean an announcement made in 2012 or an announcement made about 2012 -- two entirely different ideas.

QBZappy

Look at the date it was posted:

It is clearly last year's announcement for 2012, not the 2013 announcement.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Nervpop

Quote from: QBZappy on December 27, 2012, 08:06:35 AM
Look at the date it was posted:

It is clearly last year's announcement for 2012, not the 2013 announcement.
Yes, it is the announcement that was made in December-2011, which I accurately described in this post:
The situation regarding free calling is confusing. In December-2010 and in December-2011, Google announced that the following year would have free calling. Those announcements were posted in the official Google Voice blog. But when Google made that same type of announcement in December-2012, it was posted only in the official Gmail blog, and it did not mention Google Voice. So does the December-2012 announcement apply only to Gmail users and not to Google Voice users? And should Obihai users therefore be worried about will happen to free calling after December 31, 2012?

zerox

Sorry, for the re-re-posting. I saw that the administrator already had posted it and erased mine and then I realized it was for 2012.

Here, the announcement for 2013:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/free-calling-within-us-and-canada.html

Nervpop

I just realized that I left out the word "what" in the final sentence. It should be "And should Obihai users therefore be worried about what will happen to free calling after December 31, 2012?"

Nervpop

Quote from: zerox on December 27, 2012, 08:48:48 AM
Sorry, for the re-re-posting. I saw that the administrator already had posted it and erased mine and then I realized it was for 2012.

Here, the announcement for 2013:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/free-calling-within-us-and-canada.html
Yes, it is the announcement that was made in December-2012, which I accurately described in this post:

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Nervpop on December 27, 2012, 08:50:01 AM

I just realized that I left out the word "what" in the final sentence. It should be "And should Obihai users therefore be worried about what will happen to free calling after December 31, 2012?"
The answer is a clear no. Reading your posts it appears you're trying to find a reason to be worried, whereas the "vast majority" on here -- I'll go out on a limb here and put the number at 99.9% -- believe it will continue to be free just like it is now.

Furthermore, everyone has multiple fall back plans at the ready. What are they? Port your number to any of the well-accepted VoIP providers commonly mentioned on here (and on DSLReports, and elsewhere) and instead of paying zero you pay the small (relative to hard wired land line, Skype, Magicjack, etc.) monthly fee on a plan of your choosing that best matches your usage pattern.  

And if you're still concerned, you can have a fallback plan on the fallback plan, which is to port your number back to a landline provider, assuming that is where it came from in the first place.

Nwphantom

I sent the following message to Obi Support:
I have checked the forum and all online sources I can find and there seems
to be some confusion whether the free calling announced by Google will only
be available through Gmail or will continue to be available using the
OBi110.
Do you know whether or not we will still be able to make free domestic calls
next year with the OBi110 using Google Voice?

This is the response I received:
Of course, the free GV calls work with OBi products.   Google Voice and
gmail calling is the same.
- Obi Support

EDM1

I'm a newbie and a little confused.  I set-up my new OBI110 with GV for outbound calls last week.  It was working great until yesterday.  At that point I began to think that GV had indeed made some change to service beginning 1/1 as anticipated.  However, after some reading I saw the announcement that GV service would be continued through 2013.

However, I'm not getting dial tone via GV on my OBI.  Anybody have tips on how to troubleshoot?  I've read the manual and taken all the suggested steps but with no resolution.

Thx,
EDM

MikeHObi

Quote from: EDM1 on January 02, 2013, 08:15:56 AM

However, I'm not getting dial tone via GV on my OBI.  Anybody have tips on how to troubleshoot?  I've read the manual and taken all the suggested steps but with no resolution.

Best thing to do is always either find a post already via search that has a subject that matches your issue, or create a new post with subject line that gives a good reference to what your question is.

You can contact Obi Support.  Or if you wish to investigate further you can start a new post with some more details.  Specifically what lights are on the obi, and can you connect to the attendent, or what level of functionality you have if any.  The problem could be as simple as the power supply for the obi failed.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

giqcass

Obviously Google voice is working for free so that debate is over till the end of this year.
So far as having no dial tone it seems like most of the time when an Obi stops working mysteriously the person has changed their password on Google Voice and not updated it on their OBi.  Did you change a password recently?
Long live our new ObiLords!

youngster

Quote from: EDM1 on January 02, 2013, 08:15:56 AM
I'm a newbie and a little confused.  I set-up my new OBI110 with GV for outbound calls last week.  It was working great until yesterday.  At that point I began to think that GV had indeed made some change to service beginning 1/1 as anticipated.  However, after some reading I saw the announcement that GV service would be continued through 2013.

Thx,
EDM

My dialtone stopped working too. You are not alone. I think there is something that has changed with how this is supposed to work. I wish someone would help with this.

Rick

Quote from: youngster on February 04, 2013, 07:52:54 AM
My dialtone stopped working too. You are not alone. I think there is something that has changed with how this is supposed to work. I wish someone would help with this.

Ideally you should start a new post when you have an issue, especially when the last post on the thread is from over a month ago.

If you've tried the troubleshoot tips including unplugging your OBi and plugging it back in, and you haven't changed your Google password, and you have the latest firmware, then fill out a Support Ticket on the OBi Support page.