News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Will Google Voice be free in 2013

Started by jeff@jeffmusto.com, June 29, 2012, 04:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff@jeffmusto.com

I am just curious if anyone has heard any rumors or talk of what Google is up to in 2013. I am using 1 Obi now and want to add 2 more but am waiting to see what Google does. I also have a Phone Power line that cost $100 a year, I do not think Google would be stupid enough to charge more than that and you think it would be cheaper.   :o
pvkid
the pvkid "Helping other people live the dream"
Puerto Vallarta Condo Rental

JohnBowler

"Will Google be free."

Quote from: jeff@jeffmusto.com on June 29, 2012, 04:59:40 PM
I am just curious if anyone has heard any rumors or talk of what Google is up to in 2013.

That is "free" as in "free beer".  No, it won't cost any less in 2013 that it does today, which means it won't be free.

GV costs are comparable with other VOIP providers, but GV isn't primarily a VOIP provider, rather it is a number aggregator (it gives you one number that connects to multiple telephones) and voice mail service.  It doesn't, currently, charge for either service.  I believe the business model is that by providing the added value it can retain customers while charging the going rate for VOIP.  It makes the money on the VOIP.

The idea that it is "free" is marketing scam.  It's not new scam either; US telephone companies have been lying to the purchasers of their services that they provide free telephone calls for, well, I think for ever.  Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

John Bowler <jbowler@acm.org>

jeff@jeffmusto.com

John, I am not sure what to make of your reply. It did not make sense to me. Most of us are using the OBi and Google Voice to make and receive free calls in the USA and Canada. I am not sure what kind if free marketing scam that is but if I am being scammed please let me know  ;D
Just a simple question, has anyone has heard any rumors or talk of what Google is up to in 2013.

chicobiker

I think they usually announce near the end of the year, at least that is what I remember happening last year..  So hold off on any purchases you might make until you know for sure would be my advise.

jeff@jeffmusto.com

I just bought 2 more OBi's http://slickdeals.net/f/4817424-Used-OBi110-44-92-Like-New-from-Amazon-Warehouse-FSSS?p=51326192&utm_source=dealalerts&utm_medium=em-i&utm_term=451953&utm_content=u1859922&utm_campaign=tu-9999#post51326192
I guess I have faith in Google that it will be free or very affordable. if not I still get 6 months worth the service for the price of a OBI ($45)

JohnBowler

Quote from: jeff@jeffmusto.com on June 30, 2012, 06:56:08 AM
Most of us are using the OBi and Google Voice to make and receive free calls in the USA and Canada.

The OBi uses the internet; you are paying for that.  (Even if you take your OBiWifi equipped Obi202 down to Starbucks every time you make a phone call you are still paying via overpriced coffee!)

If you have a connection that permits unlimited download and upload (or if you never hit your limit) you might think you have free calls because there is no marginal cost to making an additional telephone call, but if you think about it a little you will see that your local telephone company also provides "free" calls by that definition because it will happily offer you a monthly subscription with unlimited calling in the US etc.

As I said, this isn't new because telephone companies in the US have offered "free local calling" for years; indeed getting measured rate local service in the US is apparently impossible (you have to spend half an hour explaining the concept to the customer service people!)  This is because US telephone companies make their money by charging monthly subscriptions to a fixed base of customers who have no choice but to pay.

jeff@jeffmusto.com

Lavarock7

It will probably be free as it has been for years now. Even if not, there are plenty of cheap services that you can use with the Obi boxes.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

davefred99

Quote from: JohnBowler on June 30, 2012, 06:50:39 PM
Quote from: jeff@jeffmusto.com on June 30, 2012, 06:56:08 AM
Most of us are using the OBi and Google Voice to make and receive free calls in the USA and Canada.

The OBi uses the internet; you are paying for that.  (Even if you take your OBiWifi equipped Obi202 down to Starbucks every time you make a phone call you are still paying via overpriced coffee!)

If you have a connection that permits unlimited download and upload (or if you never hit your limit) you might think you have free calls because there is no marginal cost to making an additional telephone call, but if you think about it a little you will see that your local telephone company also provides "free" calls by that definition because it will happily offer you a monthly subscription with unlimited calling in the US etc.

As I said, this isn't new because telephone companies in the US have offered "free local calling" for years; indeed getting measured rate local service in the US is apparently impossible (you have to spend half an hour explaining the concept to the customer service people!)  This is because US telephone companies make their money by charging monthly subscriptions to a fixed base of customers who have no choice but to pay.

How is any of that useful to the OP. Sounds like a Political speak! ???

jeff@jeffmusto.com

In you opinion, what are the best cheap service that you can use with the Obi box?

Quote from: Lavarock7 on June 30, 2012, 08:27:14 PM
It will probably be free as it has been for years now. Even if not, there are plenty of cheap services that you can use with the Obi boxes.

JohnBowler

Quote from: davefred99 on June 30, 2012, 08:28:46 PM
How is any of that useful to the OP. Sounds like a Political speak! ???

OP == original poster.

The OP asked a question based on a false premise - that GV offered free telephone calls within the US.  It is useful to understand that "free *** calls" are a marketing illusion, because then the nature of the question changes and, I hope, that is useful to everyone.

This is political; the OP asked a question and the answer lies in US politics, indeed, I predict the answer as to whether Google, or any other VOIP reseller, can continue to do business within the US will be decided by the Supreme Court.  (Which, as we know, is a supremely political body.)

The issue is that the actual *cost* of VOIP traffic is minimal; voip.ms and GV alike make a healthy profit off their per-minute rates.  (I suspect GV get a kickback off local US connections, but I don't know how this works.)  The going rate for a movie (nominally 4.2GByte of compressed data) is a couple of bucks; compared to this the cost of a minute of conversation in the US is ridiculous.  The going rate in Europe and Asia of 1GByte of data is pretty much $1 (based on prices I've paid in the Europe and Asia.)

The compression used by GV and other VOIP resellers will give you around 90 minutes talking in 1GByte.  That's 90 minutes for $1 at the current *retail* rates in Europe and Asia.  Is it any surprise that I call my parents in the UK for less than I call my friends just 25 miles away?

(I pay .007$/minute to voip.ms for premium connection to the UK, and .0125$/minute for the premium connection to Grants Pass.)

Google bets on future technology; the idea that US telecom companys can continue to rip people off for highly compressible yacking over a restricted frequency range is ridiculous.  Google are on to a safe bet; eventually they will win (because they have the call aggregation feature, and that is both compelling and not US specific.)

jeff@jeffmusto.com

Yes but will Google offer free calls in 2013 ;D

Frankfone

I would not take any answer from here or any blog, for what it matters, as if the person responding was an erudite on the subject. Some people are bored to death and use "believers" to amuse themselves.

jeff@jeffmusto.com

I guess you are correct, some people just have to much time on their hands and like to create controversy. It is to bad we have to have some bad apples to spoil the forum.

Quote from: Frankfone on June 30, 2012, 11:48:36 PM
I would not take any answer from here or any blog, for what it matters, as if the person responding was an erudite on the subject. Some people are bored to death and use "believers" to amuse themselves.

NewbieBill

Now, now give JohnBowler a break. He was Bill Clinton's lawyer, and still likes to dream about the days when they got away with the "depends on what the definition of is is" line.

Under his definition, breathing air is not "free", there is a cost to that as well.

Currently using GoogleVoice does not cost anyone who uses it a penny. What it costs Google to provide the service is irrelevant. How they recover and make a profit on that cost is also pretty much irrelevant to us end-users. If I pay an extra penny for my Pepsi because Google conned them into targeting an ad at me that I will ignore anyways, so be it. That Pepsi will cost me that extra penny whether I use GV or not, so signing up and using GV costs me NOTHING. In John's world, he is assuming that if everyone all quit using GV, our Pepsi would go down a penny, which ignores what should be a painfully obvious fact that Pepsi has a set advertising budget and will just move their ads to a different medium.

Ostracus

Now, now, let's no be too hard on each other. I think in his roundabout way the answer is, most likely. GV is free for what needs to be free, and charges for what it needs to charge. In other words, just like 2012.

NewbieBill

Quote from: Ostracus on July 01, 2012, 08:40:23 AM
Now, now, let's no be too hard on each other. I think in his roundabout way the answer is, most likely. GV is free for what needs to be free, and charges for what it needs to charge. In other words, just like 2012.

Roundabout? I suppose if there is a hidden question in there somewhere about whether or not GV will charge you to call foreign countries, I don't see it. But the OP's question was would it be free next year, his answer was "No, it won't cost any less in 2013 that it does today, which means it won't be free. Then goes on to talk about how it is a marketing scam...the Supreme Court...what he pays for voip.ms and the going rate for downloading a movie.

The cost of using GV for Obi and other purposes has been zero, is zero and will most likely be zero in 2013. No need to be "roundabout" in answering the question.

carl

@JohnBowler : While the wholesale costs of VOIP traffic might be near zero, there is something called termination charges = money you have to pay to the local telco to get the call processed through the local PSTN or cellular network. Those charges can be steep, that's why Magic Jack does not service many area codes or exchanges and that's why the calls to European cell phones are so horribly expensive. 

MitchDeerfield

The only way Google makes money on Google Voice is through selling long distance service out of the USA/Canada area.  They might make some associated money with running ads on Google Mail or Google Voice.

As for will it be free next year,  the only one who knows is Mr. Google and he won't tell us until December. 

Rick

Quote from: jeff@jeffmusto.com on June 29, 2012, 04:59:40 PM
I am just curious if anyone has heard any rumors or talk of what Google is up to in 2013. I am using 1 Obi now and want to add 2 more but am waiting to see what Google does. I also have a Phone Power line that cost $100 a year, I do not think Google would be stupid enough to charge more than that and you think it would be cheaper.   :o
pvkid

Google won't announce it until nearly the end of the year, like last year, it was on 12/13 as I recall.