News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callback through PSTN

Started by Ed12, June 30, 2012, 09:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed12

Hi all,

I currently own spa3102 and want to buy either OBi110 or OBi202, whichever can accomplish the following because the spa3102 cannot. I did a search on the topic but most had this partly answered. From some discussions, it looks like OBi110 can do this. Kindly help with this query.

1) I have a landline with free calling to local nos.
2) My mobile has incoming calls free
3) What I want now is that I dial in to my landline connected to OBi. OBi would hang up and call back my mobile through the same landline. This call would be free.
4) After I am connected to OBi, it will then allow me to dial out an international number through one of the SIP services (or GV).

Is this possible? I believe OBi202 cannot do this because it cannot be connected to a normal PSTN landline no. correct?

Thanks,
Ed

QBZappy

Ed12,

A recent post explanation on how to setup a callback. In your case you can set the phone line on the OBi110 as the default trunk using the AA for any outgoing calls.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3547.msg23580#msg23580
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Stewart

What country are you in?

If US or Canada, the OBi202 will work fine for callback.  You would trigger it by calling your GV number or another DID that rings your OBi (free because the OBi does not answer), the AA calls you back on GV (free) and the outbound leg is GV or SIP provider as desired.

Unless you have a conflicting contraint, you could also have the OBi place landline calls via your SPA3102.

Ed12

I am not in US, so my local  no is not a US number unfortunately. Although I have GV, but it wont help. The feature I need is that PSTN line is used to callback and then Obi connects through to one of the SIP services configured for international dialing. So both PSTN line and SIP would be in use. Please note I am not looking for forwarding my PSTN line to SIP.

If this cannot be done then I would perhaps not need to replace my SPA3102.

Stewart

PSTN callback on the OBi110 is straightforward.  If you choose the OBi202 instead, for a second FXS port or for the ability to register to up to four providers, you can configure it to receive trigger calls and/or make the callback leg through your existing SPA3102.

You may be able to use the SPA3102 for callback, without an OBi.  One method requires Internet access, via a data plan on your mobile or some unrelated path.  You would initiate a call from Google Voice (on the website or with an app).  GV would ring a phone associated with your account; upon answer it would call your contact and bridge the calls.  For example, the SPA3102 is registered to a free Callcentric account with a free incoming number, which is associated with your GV account.  The callback leg from GV will ring to the SPA, which you have configured to dial your mobile via the PSTN line.  Your mobile will ring and when you answer, your contact will be called.  This is a completely free solution for calling the US and Canada; for other destinations you could use Localphone, Callcentric, etc.

Without Internet access, you could use a commercial callback service, (CallWithUs, Future-Nine, etc.) or a PBX service with callback, as long as there is a path to do the callback leg via your SPA.

With this sort of application, the best solution (balancing price, quality, reliability, administrative hassle, etc.) depends on the details.  What country are you in?  Who is your mobile carrier?  Smartphone?  Data plan?  If your PSTN line is other than POTS, e.g. VoIP bundled with your Internet and TV, please explain.  Which countries do you call the most?  Landlines or cellular?  Approximate monthly usage?  Existing accounts with which VoIP providers?  If you have existing functionality on your SPA that must be preserved, please explain.

Ed12

"PSTN callback on the OBi110 is straightforward"

Can it callback through PSTN and then connect to one of the VOIP providers? Can the call be initiated by calling into PSTN line? I wonder why 3102 does not allow such a setting.

The scenario you explained works okay however, it defeats the purpose because for call initiation I still need web access. I have access on my mobile, it's just not so convenient. And if I needed that, I am already quite happy using Talkatone.

I am in Singapore, using android, talkatone for GV (SIPdroid with PBXes did not work for me) and pennytel for SIP.

Stewart

The OBi110 is very flexible.  The trigger number can be on the same or different service from the callback path.  The outbound path can be chosen separately, too, though if the callback leg is on your landline, the outbound leg would have to be VoIP, because the landline is limited to one channel.