News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice+OBI+Land Line=Slow connections & Lost Calls

Started by EdwardC, June 30, 2012, 09:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdwardC

I just setup my Obi110 and following the online documentation, first updated to the latest BIOS and then configured my Google Voice (GV) account.  I also plugged in my land line to the apprprate port.  When configuring GV I unchecked the box indicating that GV was my primary line (leaving my land line to be the main in/out bound line).  I have a business class internet line with 20M/4M speed.

When I try to make calls, first it takes a minimum of 20 seconds, after dialing is complete, before the line starts ringing.  Second, it's 50%/50% chance if the calls go through.  Sometimes I get a busy signal, other times it says "your call cannot be completed..."  

I'm at a loss to understand why this is occurring.  I have a friend with almost the exact same setup and he swears calls connect quickly and always go through...

I'd appreciate any suggestions – thanks!

pc44

Hi EdwardC,

Could your router have anything to do with this phenomenon?  Perhaps you could tell us more about the model router you are using.  Also, perhaps you could try connecting the OBI directly to your modem, for the sole purpose of troubleshooting.  If the problems go away immediately, then we would know to look at the router more closely.

Just a thought,
pc44

EdwardC

Hi pc44 - thanks for the reply.  My network configuration is:

Cable Model -> NetGear FVS338 -> NetGear GS108T (gig switch)

All my local systems are on the gig switch but I put the OBi on the VR338, in theory, to avoid it seeing any local traffic.  The FV338 is my router and it serves up DHCP (you can't plug something into the cable modem directly, you have to have a router - it's a business service line).  The FV338 some port forwarding turned on (email and web) and some IP filtering (it's amazing how many people try to hack your systems from the far East).  The FV338 is configured to allow all outbound port connections...  QOS is not enabled, though I'm going to turn it on this evening and try again..

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know.  Thanks

PS - Just enabled "SIP ALG" on my rounter and set the QOS on the OBi to "Minimize-Delay".  It had no impact on performance.  I tried to call my office phone across town, twice I receaved a fast busy, once it went through. Next I tried to call my wifes salon (I knew no one would be there) and received another Fast Busy...  Is it possible this is related to Google Voice? I'm thinking long term to go with Calcentric so I could try bouncing off of them.  I'm grasping here...

pc44

Hi EdwardC,

I'm guessing you have a public static IP but am also curious as to which model of cable modem you are using.  Are we talking an SMC, Motorola, or what?

QoS is a good thing to try.  In most forum members' experience here, SIP ALG has not been helpful and actually caused more problems in some cases.

Can you try to place your OBI in the DMZ of your Netgear 338 Router?  I feel this would be your best option to test.  As this would expose the OBI to the internet/WAN side, just make sure that you have a good password in place on the OBI.  Since you said you cannot connect the OBI directly to your cable modem, the DMZ option is what I would try next.

Quality issues could be related to GV, and they could also be related to your network (internet) route.  Even with a very high-speed internet package, there are other issues such as latency that can affect real-time communications.  Cable internet providers are 'typically' notorious for latency problems.  This of course depends on the route of your traffic (source and destination).  So, yes, it could be something else, and it could be GV, but if it was your internet connection or GV, I would expect to see poor quality issues and not complete-disconnects 50% of the time.  If you could test with another VoIP provider, like Callcentric, that would help in the troubleshooting process.

Just my two cents, :)
pc44