News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Choppy Voice on OBI using GV

Started by obi-master, March 15, 2011, 01:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obi-master

Here is my configuration

Internet: AT&T Uverse
Down Speed: 18mbps
Up Speed: 1.5 Mbps
Router: AT&T Uverse 2Wire 3800HGV-B, no other additional router
Devices: Vonage, SPA3102, OBI 110 all connected to AT& Uverse using wire.
OBI Configuration: No PSTN, SP1 is GV and SP2 is Rynga
SPA Config: Vonage line goes to SPA 3102 just to be able to dial from outside. No physical phone connected to SPA. All calls are made using Vonage. 

Issue: When I used GV using OBI I can't hear some of the words the other party is saying. Not sure if it's a port issue or something else. Help will be greatly appreciated.

Hope I didn't miss to give out any information.

RonR

You may need to determine what range of RTP ports each VoIP device is using, make sure there is no overlap in them, and possibly put explicit port forwarding in your router in order to keep them all happy (audio-wise).

obi-master

I will change the ports for Vonage to 10000 - 20000 UDP and for OBI from 20001 to 30000 UDP. I will test and let you know the results.

RonR

There are two sets of RTP ranges on the OBi.  One for ITSPA and one for ITSPB.

obi-master

Changed in both places and also changed port forwarding in AT&T Uverse router/modem but still have the same issue

OBi-Guru

Please send email to support@obihai.com with your OBi number (200 xxx xxx), we can help debug the issue.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: RonR on March 15, 2011, 01:46:52 PM
You may need to determine what range of RTP ports each VoIP device is using, make sure there is no overlap in them, and possibly put explicit port forwarding in your router in order to keep them all happy (audio-wise).

Here we go again... before I say anything else, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and ask if you can cite any authority for this statement.  Because in the years I've been working with VoIP, I have never heard it said that VoIP devices on the same network cannot use the same RTP ports, and as many VoIP devices as I have running simultaneously (PLUS an Asterisk/FreePBX server) I should have encountered problems long ago if that were really an issue.  To me that statement sounds patently silly, like saying you can't run two web browsers on the same network at the same time because they both use port 80 for http (obviously, that would be wrong). But maybe this is another case where a more explicit explanation would help me understand, so I'll ask how you came up with this.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

obi-master

I did some more testing. I plugged out everything and just plugged the OBI 110, restarted my Modem/Router. everything seems to work fine. Then I plugged in the Vonage phone. SPA 3102 is still out and I see voice issues. Seems to me like Vonage is creating trouble. Vonage on the other hand works fine with no issues.

RonR

Do you have access to the Vonage ATA configuration such that you were able to verify exactly what RTP ports it's actually using?

By default, the OBi uses 16600 - 16798 and 16800 - 16998.

Any overlap between the two devices is likely to cause audio problems.  Even without an obvious overlap, it still may be necessary to make explicit port forwarding entries in your router to each device for their particular RTP ranges if the router is not well behaved.  Audio problems due to Network Address Translation (NAT) and SIP/RTP handling in routers is not an uncommon problem.

obi-master

The issue was resolved when I put the OBI behind the Vonage phone or the SPA 3102. I have it behind the SPA for almost 3-4 days and haven't seen an issue so far.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: RonR on March 16, 2011, 11:12:33 AMAny overlap between the two devices is likely to cause audio problems.  Even without an obvious overlap, it still may be necessary to make explicit port forwarding entries in your router to each device for their particular RTP ranges if the router is not well behaved.  Audio problems due to Network Address Translation (NAT) and SIP/RTP handling in routers is not an uncommon problem.

Again, please cite your authority for such statements.  Otherwise, you're spewing nonsense.  If what you were saying is true, it would be impossible to have two OBi devices on the same LAN (let alone two OBis plus several Linksys/Sipura adapters including PAP2's, SPA-2000's, and SPA-3102's) and yet the OBi works fine in such an environment.  I know you can have problems if you have a double-NAT situation (one router behind another router, and a lot of people don't realize that many DSL modems contain built-in routers, so this happens more often than you might think) but I have never seen anyone else make the assertion you're making.  Just repeating nonsense doesn't make it true.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.