News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

50' line cord between Obi110 and corded phone does not work - ideas?

Started by obiJuanKanobi, July 09, 2012, 11:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obiJuanKanobi

I recently moved our wireless router to a far corner of the living room. Now I'd like to use the (corded) phone (with GV) in another corner, so I  bought an inexpensive (~$5, 4 conductor I think) 50' line cord, plugged it in, and got no dial tone on the phone (works fine with 10' cord).

Is there a difference in line cords? (They all seem to be about the same price.) Is another brand, or quality, of cord likely to work? Or is 50 feet just too long of a distance between the Obi110 and the phone?

I see OB202 has a wireless adapter. Would this work for a Obi110?  (I'm guessing no.)

Any info, thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Ostracus

Anything else on that cord? And the ObiWiFi only works with the Obi202.

obiJuanKanobi

Nope nothing else on that cord, it's just a single male to male cord...

Stewart

Inspect both ends of the cord for dirt on the contacts or damage.  You might try cleaning with a cotton swab and alcohol.

Pick up the phone and wiggle the plugs in their respective jacks; perhaps one end is not well seated.

Otherwise, IMO the cord is probably defective; the OBi should have no trouble with a 50-foot cord.

Though very unlikely, it's conceivable that your phone draws barely enough current for the OBi to see it off-hook, and the cord resistance is enough to stop it from working.  Do you have another phone to try?

obiJuanKanobi

Thanks Stewart (and Ostracus) for your reply(s). Good to confirm that under normal conditions (good cable, good phone) that it should work.

I did wiggle the connectors quite a bit (no change) and the contacts look clean (it's a new cable).

I've ordered another cable, as it was easier than finding another wired phone to test. Once it arrives I'll test it and post my results.

obiJuanKanobi

... and, uh ...yes it was a bad cable. New one works like a charm. New one has slightly wider connectors on ends then first (bad) cable.

Next time I'll know better to trust in the Obi.