News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

can obi100/110 be connected directly to computer instead of to router?

Started by roky, July 13, 2012, 07:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roky

well, thats it in a nutshell -- i'm considering buying one of these, as we have no landline, and limited(tracphone) cell time, but half the year we live in a trailer park where we get decent wifi via an external antenna -- this means that we have no router in our trailer, as the wifi signal goes directly to the computer via its external antenna

thanks for any comments

pc44

Hi roky,

Yes, you can provide internet access to your OBI via your computer's wired LAN port, if your computer is also simultaneously connected to the internet via Wi-Fi.  See this post/thread.  You basically buy a crossover network cable and bridge the wired and wireless network connections on your PC.

Better yet, if you purchase an OBi202 plus OBiWiFi, you will have an OBI that can connect directly to whatever Wi-Fi signal you are getting.

Couple options, :)
pc44

roky

pc44

thanks much for the prompt reply -- i've read the link and that clarifies it completely -- i even think i have an old crossover cable in the attic, so should be all set :)

roky